Lowest prices for your stay
US$286
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
Expedia.comUS$286
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 August 2019

Review of Cumaceba Amazon lodge

We were strictly told to catch a flight to arrive before 8am as that was the time the tour started. We were up at 230 AM to catch a 5 AM flight so that we would arrive in time for the tour to start.

INITIAL MEETING

We arrived at th Airport, bombarded by salesman and no board with our names. We happen to ask a man who looks like he is apart of the tour company. He takes a photo of us, which was strange then escorts us to another man who escorted us to the driver. We approached the parking area which had shuttles and decent looking tour busses. We walked past all these to the most broken down car. It looked like a shell. Rusted and beat up. This couldn't be true. Our drive was uncomfortable and disgusting. The seats were filthy and the windows were all broken and couldn't be wound up.

TOUR OFFICE AND START OF TOUR

Finally we get to the tour office.
This kicked off the start of what would be many a time wasting excercises. We walked up the street, took a corner and arrived at the next office. This was meant to be our city walking tour. . It was early so we should have at least sampled some local food for snacks or for breakfast. To us this was a waste and didn't need to be done. It was now 10am, why did we even need to arrive before 8am as we were just sitting around for now 3 hours.

When we arrived at the second office. Our group was 8. We sat in their reception and the jungle guide pointed at a map and showed us the geography of the area and where we would be going. Then he says we need wellies or rubber gum boots because it's wet and muddy, 10 Soles each. To me this should be included in our package. They know it's wet, they know there are jungle walks? They have scheduled the walk? Now I must pay extra so I don't die on their walk. Seems like a money making exercise. We have to rent the boots now, what other choice do we have. To top this event off, we had to tell the guide and his associate our size about 5 times. Each time he would walk into the room, get one pair and leave the remaining 7 of us wondering what was going on. We re hashed our shoe size with the man, again this cycle happened. If I did not ask repeatedly for a pair I would have not gotten one. Another bad experience. Bad experience no 3 was trying to get my change back from the same two men. This was a joke. Instead of doing one thing like getting change, they were carrying bags, supplies to a room, aimlessly strolling around without any rush or assurance. Again if I didn't ask, my change would have disappeared.

We hang around for over an hour with no instructions, no refreshments, no guides. More groups of people come in and guides start explaining everything in they had said in the walking tour. why put us through that walking tour ordeal? This would have sufficed. We get told to wait when we ask what is happening. Without explanation. Being the polite people we are, we oblige. Any other people would have lost their cool.

LODGE

We arrive at the lodge. Starving. It's 11 am. Jungle guide tells us we going to walk in the jungle in 30 min. Our bags are not here yet. I request that we need our bags before we walk, jungle guide wants to say no but he heard in my tone I will not take no for an excuse. Bags arrive in the main bungalow. We dress down because we are very hot. Walk starts, waste of time number 2. This was a walk in someones garden. Took 10 minutes and we heard hardly anything at the back of the group. The only thing we saw was spiders and mosquitoes that we shewed from our face. No wildlife no birds, only trees.

MEAL TIME

Lunch was also an exercise. The previous people started to line up 30 minutes before due time. Lunch drum goes, all the seated members of the queued members join them. The line becomes a mass of people. People dished up mounds of food on their plates, seemed gluttonous. The one staff man at the food table brought each plate of food one by one. That took forever. The same man had to go retrieve more food as by the time it eat our turn, we were 10th in line. The first two plates of food were finished. He didn't have any help nor did he have any initiative to get more food before it was finished. One staff member. Ridiculous. Another terrible EXPERIENCE. breakfast and dinner were a repeat. Felt like we were in Lord of the Flies.

Refreshments were advertised before we booked. This is a lie. There is water out of a drum, hot water. There is instant coffee and tea. No juice or anything refreshing available. No milk. The cups for tea are not restocked. If you want something you need to ask that one staff member. There is a bar but that also requires that staff member. Bar has tiny beers and tiny sodas at triple the recommended retail price.

LODGE BASED ACTIVITIES

I will not bore anyone with the night jungle walk nor the 6am early morning LAKE, in actual fact a pond, visit to see birds. Night walk was worse than the day walk and the pond experience was 5 minutes and could have been done at anytime. This jungle guide again showed his rash behavior and stubbornness and shuved us, all 15 of us on a wooden boat that only fitted two per row. We were practically sinking and couldn't move because any movement would have toppled the boat. There was another free boat that we could have split half the group into but this guide of ours said no. He then proceeded to paddle around a pond that was probably 30 m2 and took the tour completely in Spanish. Which we couldn't hear anyway because he was in the front of the boat and we were at the front. After not sleeping because the roosters crow from 230 am, this was another disappointment and poor experience.

In summary.

We felt this jungle package and first jungle experience was sold on paper. In reality it was absolutely the biggest let down we have had.

The idea of an Amazonian experience is great and is full of excitement on paper. In reality this place and the people who run it are slow, without initiative, lazy not hospitable in the least. The lodge based events are a waste of time. The highlight was the visit to the animal sanctuary, the only good experience in my opinion. The meal time experience made you feel like you had to dish up tons of food because there would be nothing left when it was your turn.

I would not recommend this establishment nor the 2 day one night experience. I feel grateful that we are not staying another day here. I wish I had of read a review like this as I would not have opted for this tour nor the tour company At ALL.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed 23 July 2019

Owners didn't care trash by pier Animal refugee village trash everywhere Food simple/mediocre not like they publicized Kitchen without screen protectors Rooms without bed nets Our guide saved our trip.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank marlitt c
Reviewed 20 June 2019

I did a day tour with this company. It consisted of a traditional boat ride, learning about the culture of a
Native tribe, visiting an animal refuge, dolphin spotting and lunch was included. Our guide was friendly but most of his info came from us asking questions. When we weren’t asking him anything he was either on his phone or sitting away from us on the boat, at lunch, etc. The visit to the Native tribe seemed very rehearsed and was awkward. When we got to the animal refuge the official guide wasn’t there so our tour guide showed us around and wasn’t able to give us much info on anything and did not try to intervene or help when a monkey started peeing on my girlfriend and biting me when I tried to get it off (a funny experience in hindsight, not so funny while it was happening).

The redeeming factor was the delicious lunch. Also the tour guide never had a bad attitude or showed frustration with us, but was simply not very engaged when we weren’t asking questions. All in all, not a terrible tour just very mediocre and not a bang for your buck

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed 20 June 2019

We were approached at the airport and offered a cheap ride back to town if we listened to the tours they had to offer. We were too tired and exhausted from a day of traveling to stop and think about it.

We ended up booking a day tour which consisted of a visit to a local village, a rescue center, dolphin watching, and lunch. Our guide was informative at first, but once we got on the boat didn’t offer much after that. He answered all of our questions but he hardly offered information without us prompting him.

The interaction with the tribe was cringey and very geared towards gringos. They danced for us, made us dance with them, and sold us jewelry. I felt uncomfortable the entire time. There was no one at the rescue center to guide us through, and our guide didn’t know much about the animals. Lunch was delicious at least. Didn’t get to see dolphins which isn’t their fault.

Bottom line, do your research and ask your hotel/hostel for recommendations

Date of stay: June 2019
Reviewed 21 May 2019 via mobile

The entire trip to the Amazon with Cumaceba was fantastic. Richard was great at explaining the trip and what was involved. Our guide in Iquitos was Fransisco and he made our trip memorable. He is from the Amazon jungle so he was very knowledgeable and funny too. He really took the time to make us feel safe and welcome. The lodge itself was fantastic. It was clean, the staff were amazing especially Adrian who cooked vegetarian meals for us. I love this company and the entire experience.

Date of stay: May 2019