“Give this place a go - honest its like home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Riverfield Farmhouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Inch B&B and Inns
Loughgiel, Co Antrim
“Give this place a go - honest its like home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I spent the whole of Easter weekend here WITHOUT my family as I was at the tough Gorey 3 Day Cycle Race. When I and the other lads in the Team arrived we were welcomed by Allen, shown to our rooms which were clean, comfortable and warm and had an ensuite. The bikes were safely stored in an annex at the back of the house. The breakfasts were all you could ask including healthy options, such as lovely porridge, poached eggs with wheaten bread or the full fry. We had prebooked our evening meals ( 2 nights B&B with 2 evening meals - 4 course for €115) = excellent value. The meals were like my mothers cooking real hearty Irish food - soup to start, turkey with great spuds,fresh local vegetables and choice of 4 deserts. The following day we had boiled ham with a deliciuous broccoli and cauliflower in white sauce plus the carrots. This was delicious food. After dinner each night all the residents had Tea and Coffee served with home baked cakes in the lounge where we chatted about our reasons for being in Wexford. All very homely and relaxed. During the 3 days we were there on occasions we were hungry especially after racing and asked for cereal to do us until lunch this was no problem and we could eat all we want!! We did.. Missing my wife and 3 kids especially over Easter was hard and I did feel guilty for leaving them however the relaxed and welcoming nature of Gloria and Allen ensured I felt at home. The beds were brilliant - it was like staying at Grannies where the beds were always best. Comfy, clean and snug. Boiling hot water for showering and an abundance of clean towels. Gloria took our cycling clothes and washed and dried them for the next days racing - no other B&B would give this service freely. The B&B is set in rural Wexford quiet and stress free. I am not a dog lover however while fixing bikes both labrodors came over for a 'chat' I couldnt believe their friendly nature. 1 of them the black one went and took a stone out of the river dropped it at my feet and gave me a sweep with its noseboth of them became like kids, I threw the stone and they raced away,brought it back and again and again this went on. I dont normally do reviews as you can probably tell, I am too lazy however I had to take time to write this honestly. Thanks for letting me have your hospitality it was a blessing. Niall - Loughgiel Co. Antrim - Home of All Ireland Hurling Champions 2012...

Room Tip: The 3 lads I shared with had a room which was separated from the main house by 2 doors - it was a we...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Niall O

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Had an excellent stay while i was doing the Gorey 3 day cycle race! Awesome food, great rooms, storage for the bikes and excellent hosts! Will definitely be back

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MikeM86
Alfter, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

My boyfriend and I were doing a roadtrip about 1 1/2 yrs ago. We stopped at Riverfield Farmhouse for a night and it was amazing. The best B&B we've visited in Ireland. Gloria and Allen were wonderful, friendly and did their very best to make this stay perfect for us. I have Celiac disease and am also allergic to Cows Milk, eggs and some other ingedients but this was not and problem at all. They prepared a delicious dinner for us - I think I have never eaten such a good dinner outside - with soup, and very tasty Banana cake with raspberries as a dessert... after the dinner we could sit outside in the beautiful garden and could enjoy some selfmade cakes and cookies. the breakfast was even breathtaking. I cannot say anything else than that it was simply perfect. There was no wish which was not fulfilled. We would have loved to stay there for a week or even longer but unfortunately we had already booked the ferry... I can only recommend this place to everybody - no matter if one needs to follow a special diet or not, my boyfriend and I, we were both surprised in a wonderful way!!! And the packed lunch we were given just made this stay even more perfect!!! :-) Thank you so incredible much for this amazing stay!!!
(it was July 2010)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

We were visiting the Gorey area for the first time and booked Riverfield Farmhouse on the basis of what we saw and read on the website. We were not disappointed and indeed it would be our first choice when we next go back. Gloria and Allen Proby are so thoughtful that on realising we may struggle to get an evening meal they offered us dinner. The food was fantastic;all prepared and cooked by Gloria. The cooked breakfasts were great; probably the best poached eggs I have had anywhere .Nothing was too much bother and we could come and go as we pleased. Truly a home from home.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Had the privilege to stay in this lovely B&B outside of Dublin for a few nights. First of all a big thank you to the Family running it, who are lovely people! They made us feel like we were at home. We could use their Living Room and they would come and join us for a chat in front of the fire ! They also offered us a cup of tea and home made Irish Biscuits when we arrived, which I feel makes the stay much homelier! The House itself is stunning, set in a rural area beside a stream. The room was clean and en-suite which I LOVE! And it was a great size too! We had an amazing Irish Breakfast in the morning and then went out for a day of adventure ! I definitely recommend this place if you want a lovely Irish Family Home Experience :) Riverfield! See you next year!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends