“Birthday Break”

Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Had a very enjoyable birthday break:)Spa was so relaxing food devine.Only few concerns were jacuzzi was not working at full power at our time of visit and as it was a queit time of year were not able to eat in resturant only bar although food was lovely.The view and close proximity to beach was definate positives.

Room Tip: Ask for seaview
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We had a magnificient room looking out from the front of the hotel with spectacular views of the beach and ocean. The weather being bright added to our enjoyment of the views.
We ate the first night in the restaurant and the second in the bar. The food was exceptional in both and the service matched. I would definitely recommend Ballyliffin lodge for anyone visiting County Donegal

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ofireland
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The staff in the hotel are really lovely and the location of the hotel is stunning but we were looking for a nice cosy hotel and this was very disappointing. We stayed in the Aughrim room.Firstly, the room was freezing, the heating is on a general timer for the hotel and so you cannot regulate the heating in the rooms. Secondly, the lighting in the rooms is very poor, the bathroom is nice and large but you cannot even do your make up in it as it is so badly lit! The lighting in the rooms is also poor. The hotel has been recently refurbished and there is no atmosphere in the dining room - it is decorated in all greys and browns with wooden floors - very cold and unwelcoming. Not a fireplace in any of the areas to sit and have a cosy drink. Definitely will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ann-marie40
JoDBL, Owner at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not all that it could have been.
Please be assured that we have taken all of your suggestions on board and have already dealt with the issues you have raised You may also be interested to learn that just this week we have started to change all the lighting in the bedrooms as well as repainting the bar and restaurant area to improve the ambience in there. Our Front Room area in our hotel has a cozy fire on in the evenings and is a beautiful room to sit back and relax during your stay; unfortunately this room was undergoing renovation work during your stay and was not available, so this was unfortunate that you did not get to experience this.
Once again please accept my apologies and I do hope that you will return to enjoy all that the Ballyliffin Lodge has to offer again in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

My partner and I visited the hotel several years ago and had been wanting to come back for a while. We availed of the Lazy Sunday and Monday two night offer. This was great value, including one evening meal in the bar. We opted for an upgrade to the superior room and were allocated a massive room on the top floor with excellent views to the sea.
The room and hotel was in great condition and the service was very friendly as we had remembered before.
The fitness suite and spa were excellent and really made up for the horrible weather outside at the time - going for a walk was not an option on the Monday in the heavy rain!
A perfect relaxing break.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

I wanted to take my wife away for our wedding anniversary to surprise her. She had never been to Ireland and a friend suggested we visit Ballyliffin. I found the hotel on Tripadvisor and it sounded perfect – and it was. I called them directly and was asked when I made my booking what the purpose was for my visit. I mentioned it was our wedding anniversary and thought nothing else of it.

We flew from the UK into Derry. I asked the hotel if they could arrange a taxi to collect us and they were waiting at the airport as we came out of the departure lounge.
On arrival at the hotel the lady on reception wished us a happy anniversary and said if we wanted we could have the bridal suite as it was not booked that night. My wife asked if it was the room with the balcony. It was not and as she likes rooms with balconies she asked if we could have that and was delighted when it was available.
The hotel lounge is ideal for afternoon tea as it has a lovely fireplace and big windows overlooking the sea. There are two very good restaurants at the hotel, my wife preferred the fine dining but I liked the gastro pub which had really good food and a friendly atmosphere.

Breakfast was a cold buffet and hot food cooked to order which was huge. The bacon, eggs and sausages were really tasty, proper meaty food served on hot plates.

There are interesting places to visit in the area and the beach is great for a brisk walk. I do play golf but not on my wedding anniversary, however the golf course is very good and we have already booked to return next year so I can play golf while my wife relaxes in the spa.

Room Tip: Sign up for their newsletter - that have some really good value offers
2  Thank trustmyjudgement
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyliffin
22 km away
34.4 km away
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!