“Excellent ”
Review of Mangonui Motel

Mangonui Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mangonui
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Pleasant host. Accommodation excellent. Spacious, clean and quiet. Views right across the harbour. A good place to base yourself if you are wanting to explre the far north. Definitely worth it and would stay again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2017

We arrived in terrible weather, and the night was extremely stormy. We had great views from our unit (Dolphin). which was clean and comfortable. Bed was comfortable too.
I thought I had booked the awesome end unit with the balcony, but we were in the one next door, but all good.
Host was friendly, nice to have the blackboard with my name on it welcoming us.
Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: specify the end room down the bottom... this would have great views
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

This is a simple selling point, you are up on a hill, gazing out across a beautiful bay when you sit in your sofa, awaken in your large bed or when you sit in your private garden area. It is absolutely fantastic, you can get the same view on foot or in a car, but can you wake up to it?

The rooms are spacious and partially updated, some of the kit is ageing for example the internal doors are starting to fail to close. However, everything worked, the new stuff was nice. Water pressure is gravity fed, therefore you aren't going to write home about the shower.

Welcome was very friendly.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2016

I stayed for one Thursday night at The Mangonui Motel, having found it online, and been impressed by how it looked. I have to say, its even better in real life. More than just a motel room, more like an apartment, with full kitchen, separate bedroom very comfortable lounge area, and great outside space complete with patio furniture. The views are absolutely stunning too, with a panoramic 180 degree vista over the harbour, across the bay and out to sea. It has to be seen to be believed. The large bed was very comfortable, the wifi connection is fast and there is full full Sky TV. It is also such a quiet location that in the evening I could hear the morepork and kiwi calling from the reserve across the bay.The proprietor was very friendly and helpful, even taking the trouble to put a welcome sign up for me when I arrived which was a nice touch. Being able to check in at noon was also good.In terms of price, I found the rate to be very reasonable, and considering the high standard of the accommodation, I would say that this was an extremely good value booking. I wish I could have stayed for more than the one night, but if I'm ever in Mangonui again, I would definitely stay here. This delightful little town has everything you could possibly need, restaurants, shops, bars and a very lovely area hereabouts. One tip: Fresh and Tasty, next door to the Hotel on the wharf does the best fish and chips in town. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about this absolutely superb place, in fact I would go as far as to say that this is one of the best motels I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Room 5 has the best of the great views. It was a real pleasure staying in it.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank JJL1666
Richard M, Owner at Mangonui Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2016

Thank you for your custom and the great review. I could not have said it better.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

The 'best views' in Mangonui convinced us to book and we were not disappointed. We were upgraded and the rooms were clean and comfortable, with a stunning view of the harbour. The electric blanket was really good for the middle of winter. The free wi-fi was fast and constant. The steps down to the village are not as daunting as it sounds, and only takes a few minutes to get down. We highly recommend the Mangonui Motel and will certainly go back there.
We stayed at a few 'more expensive' motels on our trip and they were not as clean, and we had to pay for wi-fi.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangonui
0.6 km away
28.4 km away
Loredo Motel
Loredo Motel
#1 of 3 in Kaitaia

Been to Mangonui Motel? Share your experiences!