“Family oriented hotel that needs improvement”

Hotel Monte Campana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birri
Reviewed 20 July 2017

This place is AWFUL. I would not recommend it for more than two nights maximum. Location is on top of a mountain which is very secluded, so you cannot walk to the store unless you are willing to take your chances and get hit by a car as there are no sidewalks on this mountain and the streets are very narrow. The hotel itself is family oriented but it is mostly locals who go in for a day at the slides so the place is packed with kids. The breakfast is not buffet, they only give you one serving and if you ask for more they deny it (I asked for a second piece of bread and I stood there for five minutes been refused another piece of bread!). Also, the food is the same every single breakfast. We stayed for one week and not a thing on the menu changed. The light went off twice and it took over 5 hours to come back. Their customer service is awful (there are a couple employees who are the exception but most of them are awful). We wanted to take tours and 4 out of the 5 companies we called did not go to this hotel because of the drive in the mountain is awful, the 1 company said they would charge extra. There was also a cockroach in our bathroom. If you are going to Costa Rica to see Costa Rica this is not the place for you. If you are going to Costa Rica to put your kids in a pool go here. If you have no kids DO NOT stay here

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 June 2017

The ladies at the reception don't necessarily have the best customer service, but I went to relax and didn't pay much attention and I just wanted them to give me the keys and go to the room. However, it's important to greet the guests properly and professionally, this is vital.

Other than that, the room was clean and the bed was comfy. The bathroom was great, with a spacious bathtub. The pool was so much fun, and the hot tubs are very comfortable as well. It was not that difficult to have one for ourselves and relax with privacy.

The food and drinks at the restaurants are completely amazing. They have Happy Hour from 4pm to 8pm and their Piña Colada is incredible. The service was remarkable and the view is worth it.

It was quiet at night and you can actually relax.

The breakfast (included) was delicious and they served a generous amount of food.

This is an excellent option for a weekend getaway with your partner, friends or family, I absolutely recommend it and 10/10 would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a great view and are very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed over last Saturday night. We were extremely disappointed during our stay. First off the wifi doesn't work inside your room, I went to the front desk and they explained that it well only work if I'm at the bar or the pool area. Secondly theres were so many kinds of bugs in our room! I couldn't wait to get out of there! Lastly the breakfast is limited and your only aloud with one small plate. I would not ever recommend this hotel to anyone. We have stayed in hostels 100 times nicer then what we stayed in here.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

This was an amazing adventure. The staff went above and beyond making our stay comfortable. The staff researched activities and made sure we had the vacation of a lifetime. The breakfast was prepared special for me and made with no meat products. The room was rustic. The room was clean. The grounds and pools were kept clean. The tours offered at the resort were safe, fun and well knowledge staff. I highly recommend this hotel

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara K
Reviewed 15 February 2017

I travel to Costa Rica every few years because I purchased land in Guanacaste and because this country has so much to offer. I visited Hotel Monte Campana on my last day before I was going to leave Costa Rica and head back to the USA. This place is amazing and it has something for everyone. I just happen to stay at the sister hotel in Jaco, Costa Rica and found out about their other Hotel Monte Campana in San Jose. Because I liked their hotel in Jaco, I said I would check it out the hotel before I returned to the states.

When I arrived at Hotel Monte Campana the staff was friendly and the place was relatively easy to find using GPS. (it’s on a small mountain with very good roads) I wish I had more days to spend at this hotel because it has everything from zip lines, several Jacuzzi and pools, obstacle courses, paint ball zone, Tarzan swings, tree houses, and more. With all of the things to do here, this place is like a small amusement park where kids will actually put down their cell phones and enjoy. I would have needed at least 2 days to experience all of the activities and entertainment they offer. They have rooms that will give you great views of San Jose and still give you the feel in you are in a tropical forest surrounded by trees and nature. They have tree house rooms, hill side cabins, and even larger rooms for the entire family. They offer live entertainment on most weekends and because it is on a small, hill the temperature is warm but often not as hot as in the city of San Jose. I ate at the restaurant which has a spectacular view of the city below as well as excellent food and drinks. I like to travel outside the USA to experience the culture, nature, and people of another country, and this hotel will allow you to experience all of that because most of the staff is Costa Rican and they live within walking distance to the hotel. I met the Alex (the owner), who is originally from California, and he continues to develop this hotel each year and find ways give the guest new experiences and activities each time they visit. The good things is that this place is not like the typical cookie cutter boring style hotel. If you want a truly exciting experience, (isn’t that they reason we travel?), then spend at least a day here and I’ll bet you will extend your visit for at least one more night. The next time I visit Costa Rica, I will definitely plan to stay at least 2 days here, before I head to Guanacaste or other parts of CR. If you plan to be in San Jose you should definitely check this place out. Pura Vida

Room Tip: You have several types to choose from... I would probably choose the tree house or cabins with a vie...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank amglobal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birri
6.5 km away
6.7 km away
Hotel & Boutique Hojarascas
8.5 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
17.1 km away
Peace Lodge
Peace Lodge
#1 of 7 in Heredia

Been to Hotel Monte Campana? Share your experiences!