US$127
Hotel America(Heredia)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$56
  • Free Breakfast
Hotel & Boutique Hojarascas(Heredia)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 23/07
US$48
US$98
US$67
US$178
US$173
All reviewsthe ownerroom was cleanon sitesan josecosta ricafriends or familygreat placecustomer servicepura vidagreat viewcampanamonteactivitiesfunjacuzzilineszip
Reviewed 20 June 2017

The ladies at the reception don't necessarily have the best customer service, but I went to relax and didn't pay much attention and I just wanted them to give me the keys and go to the room. However, it's important to greet the guests properly and professionally, this is vital.

Other than that, the room was clean and the bed was comfy. The bathroom was great, with a spacious bathtub. The pool was so much fun, and the hot tubs are very comfortable as well. It was not that difficult to have one for ourselves and relax with privacy.

The food and drinks at the restaurants are completely amazing. They have Happy Hour from 4pm to 8pm and their Piña Colada is incredible. The service was remarkable and the view is worth it.

It was quiet at night and you can actually relax.

The breakfast (included) was delicious and they served a generous amount of food.

This is an excellent option for a weekend getaway with your partner, friends or family, I absolutely recommend it and 10/10 would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a great view and are very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LiizMastrapa
Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed over last Saturday night. We were extremely disappointed during our stay. First off the wifi doesn't work inside your room, I went to the front desk and they explained that it well only work if I'm at the bar or the pool area. Secondly theres were so many kinds of bugs in our room! I couldn't wait to get out of there! Lastly the breakfast is limited and your only aloud with one small plate. I would not ever recommend this hotel to anyone. We have stayed in hostels 100 times nicer then what we stayed in here.

Stayed: May 2017
hmcampana, General Manager at Hotel Monte Campana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

First off, let me apologize for your disappointing experience and for this late response. I have joined the staff in the last few months and am addressing all issues as they come.

Your issues:

WiFi-- when I first came here I was also disappointed with the wifi. Seemed like you said, it only worked in a few areas. I have travelled the world and it is always frustrating not to be able to stay in touch. The days of a peaceful, stress free vacation away from work are over. We have to stay in touch and we want to stay in touch.
Actually, the wifi here is one of the best I've encountered, just hard to understand. We have a 200 acre property and do our best to accommodate folks all over our property. To do this we employ multiple routers which hand off to each other as you move around the property. We even pay for 2 providers so as to have a signal available if one of them has an outage.
Our failure is in explaining to you and to our other customers all the router names and how to use it. Once it is set up, In the restaurant is one router. On the hill another. At the recepcion another. Most all have the same password. We are preparing a handout to explain exactly how to access the system properly. I assure you I walk the whole property and my phone easily transfers from one Wi-Fi router to the next as I move around the whole property.

Bugs--- No excuses. There is never an adequate response to bugs. We spray regularly and do everything in our power to keep them out. We are however in a rainforest on a 200 acre property with a lot of critters. Please if you ever stay anywhere and there are bugs, demand a room without, check it and if you are not satisfied .... SCREAM!! LOUD!!!!! If those bugs are everywhere, I'd suggest you move... Quick!

Breakfast--- We've been accused of having the same breakfast often, but never the lack of quantity. Every morning we serve scrambled eggs, sausages, potatoes, a roll or muffin and fresh fruit. We also have cereal available, cafe con leche or any way you like it and juice. Finally, we offer 2 Costa Rican traditions for breakfast every morning on our buffet. First is maduros, a staple throughout the Latin world. These are the ripe plantains which many of you see as rotten big bananas at Whole Foods. Green or barely ripe plantains make a lot of nice treats, but very ripe plantains made into those sweet chunks of Maduros are a staple in many Latin cultures. The second is "pinto gallo." Most Americans are not accustomed to black beans with spices and rice for breakfast, but in Costa Rica that is how we start the day. I'm not sure how you could walk away hungry after a serving of those with scrambled eggs, sausages and maduros.

We are a real Costa Rican resort, a place where Costa Ricans come to visit and play and relax. We are not trying to sell American Costa Rica. Please come enjoy Costa Rica at its source, the beautiful mountains overlooking San Jose.

We appreciate all your comments and sincerely hope you will give us another chance some day.

And for those reading this, I would point out that the real Costa
Rica can be had for a $10 Uber from the airport, about a 20 minute ride.
Come stay with us or at least to visit for the daily happy hour from 4 to 8, 365 days a year. $3 gets you a double for 4 hours every day. If you've never used Uber, load the app. If you have, you'll be amazed how easily it works here. We're $10 from the airport and $20 to the far side of San Jose. Happy hour, Uber driver, Pura Vida.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

This was an amazing adventure. The staff went above and beyond making our stay comfortable. The staff researched activities and made sure we had the vacation of a lifetime. The breakfast was prepared special for me and made with no meat products. The room was rustic. The room was clean. The grounds and pools were kept clean. The tours offered at the resort were safe, fun and well knowledge staff. I highly recommend this hotel

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara K

Geez!

Ok already!

Thanks for the approval. Wished I had met you during your stay because it sounds as if you had a smile when you left.

Please come again. I insist!

And if you didn't use when you were here, try Uber next time. $10 from the airport and about 20 minutes. $20 to downtown San Jose.

Stay safe. Costa Rican roads are treacherous. Use Uber. Come to happy hour at least. Every day from 4 to 8 we have the best deal in all of Costa Rica --- $3 doubles during happy hour. Let me know how many places you find that in Costa Rica.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

I travel to Costa Rica every few years because I purchased land in Guanacaste and because this country has so much to offer. I visited Hotel Monte Campana on my last day before I was going to leave Costa Rica and head back to the USA. This place is amazing and it has something for everyone. I just happen to stay at the sister hotel in Jaco, Costa Rica and found out about their other Hotel Monte Campana in San Jose. Because I liked their hotel in Jaco, I said I would check it out the hotel before I returned to the states.

When I arrived at Hotel Monte Campana the staff was friendly and the place was relatively easy to find using GPS. (it’s on a small mountain with very good roads) I wish I had more days to spend at this hotel because it has everything from zip lines, several Jacuzzi and pools, obstacle courses, paint ball zone, Tarzan swings, tree houses, and more. With all of the things to do here, this place is like a small amusement park where kids will actually put down their cell phones and enjoy. I would have needed at least 2 days to experience all of the activities and entertainment they offer. They have rooms that will give you great views of San Jose and still give you the feel in you are in a tropical forest surrounded by trees and nature. They have tree house rooms, hill side cabins, and even larger rooms for the entire family. They offer live entertainment on most weekends and because it is on a small, hill the temperature is warm but often not as hot as in the city of San Jose. I ate at the restaurant which has a spectacular view of the city below as well as excellent food and drinks. I like to travel outside the USA to experience the culture, nature, and people of another country, and this hotel will allow you to experience all of that because most of the staff is Costa Rican and they live within walking distance to the hotel. I met the Alex (the owner), who is originally from California, and he continues to develop this hotel each year and find ways give the guest new experiences and activities each time they visit. The good things is that this place is not like the typical cookie cutter boring style hotel. If you want a truly exciting experience, (isn’t that they reason we travel?), then spend at least a day here and I’ll bet you will extend your visit for at least one more night. The next time I visit Costa Rica, I will definitely plan to stay at least 2 days here, before I head to Guanacaste or other parts of CR. If you plan to be in San Jose you should definitely check this place out. Pura Vida

Room Tip: You have several types to choose from... I would probably choose the tree house or cabins with a view of the city
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank amglobal

Amglobal ---- Thanks so much!

I couldn't have said it better.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

There is always something new and exciting to do here at Monte Campana. We have been coming here for many years now and we are always surprised with the improvements. We have been enjoying all the things that Heredia has to offer. There are many tours in and around the hotel. I recommend the Poas volcano tour. I also recommend the zip line tours offered on the hotel property. And last but not least there are 6 Waterslides along with 4 swimming pools and many jacuzzis.

Stayed: December 2016

Thanks so much for your review.

I'd add that we have a waterfall, paintball, an excellent kitchen staff preparing authentic Costa Rican dishes and our bar has happy hour from 4 to 8 every day 365 days a year. Absolutely the best deal in Costa Rica at $3 for doubles.

We're 20 minutes and $10 from the airport by Uber. $20 to downtown San Jose on Uber. Do yourself a favor, enjoy Costa Rica's sights safely and sanely. Let Uber drive you anywhere around San Jose. Don't join the madness that is city traffic here. If you think Miami, Atlanta and LA have a problem, come try and drive in San Jose.

Monte Campana
Where rainbows are born and Costa Ricans come to have fun