“Love retro”

Xiang Jiao Xin Le Yuan
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

I couldn't make it in my last visit to Taichung. I am glad I did this time.

It is a Taiwanese retro themed restaurant. Playing Taiwanese oldies music. Menu offers traditional local Taiwanese dishes. We ordered the fried clams plus a (I think) Cantonese dim sum. Fairly good quality. Price covers the admission to the mini toy museum.

Beautifully decorated. Retro theatre, hair salon, candy shop, etc. Every corner is great for photo taking. I couldn't stop myself taking many.

I would recommend this not just to Asian tourists but also to those less familiar with Asia, Taiwanese and Chinese culture. Xiang Jiao (that is banana) combines dinning and museum experience together in a fun way.

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

We went there after our lunch and wanted to order just a dim sum but the waitress told us there was a min spending of NTD 100 per pax. This requirement was not stated anywhere . As we were not hungry, we gave this place a miss.

1  Thank Littledingding
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

A day trip to Taichung and this is the place that I planes for my lunch. It didn't disappoint me as the local Taiwanese cuisine were delicious however a bit pricey. Taking photo shoot after lunch. Beautiful interior design with friendly staff.

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

The food is average for Taiwan but the old style decor is cool and interesting. Good with kids as there are lots of kids friendly dishes and interesting decor to entertain them throughout lunch.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

I went here not knowing what to expect but was gladly surprised by the charming interior and effort it must've taken to put all this together. It's basically a replica of a Taiwanese food court/street from the 50's and 60's. It is a working restaurant but I only tried the beer and some snacks.

On top of this they have a museum on the second floor where they show off old original movie posters of both Taiwanese and international genre movies. There's also a toy room and some random but cool old Japanese stuff. Worth visiting if you're in town!