“Moving in lunch”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Churchill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In the picture perfect village of Churchill, The Chequers is everything a traditional pub should be with its pretty Cotswold stone exterior and a muddy landrover outside. Except, step inside this pub and you'll find something much more intriguing. A heady mix of the old and new. Expect modern cocktails to sit alongside local ales, and a menu that is packed with seasonally inspired dishes.Enjoy locally brewed beer propped at our bar with friends and family, or rustic dishes in our restaurant using the very best British ingredients in some well-loved classics like our Twice Baked Cheddar Soufflé, Bobby Battered Market Fish and our unmissable steaks cooked to perfection in Josper ovens.
Reviewed 14 August 2016

We had lunch at this pub whilst helping my son and daughter in law move in to a cottage in the village. We received a very warm welcome from the staff and had a table in the restaurant. On this Sunday lunchtime there were several families with children enjoying lunch. The menu is interesting and varied with several 'shared' specials. I had plaice shrimps and samphire which was delicious and my husband enjoyed roast pork. The wine and beer were both enjoyable. The service was friendly and prompt. I think this is likely to be the first of many visits.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

On a Saturday evening in August you would expect a beautiful country pub such as this to be bursting at the seams with visitors. However, it was deathly quiet with only half a dozen tables being occupied. The pub setting is lovely, the interior tasteful and the staff pleasant, making the lack of customers seem quite odd. Perhaps they were put off by the music - too loud and too 70's/early 80's rock. Food-wise, the fish and chips were distinctly average; too much batter on wet and tasteless fish which was accompanied by tiny little matchstick chips, reminiscent of McCain oven fries. Service was added to the bill - I was happy to pay but would prefer to tip the staff, thank you. I doubt we'll return.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Very efficient and friendly service, delicious and perfectly cooked steaks. The only down side was inappropriate pop music where gentle 'dinner jazz' would have lent a much better feel (if one has to have music at all...) to what is, after all, a classy dining experience.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

I am a regular visitor to the Chequers and the food is sometimes great sometimes average, the great exceed the average. On Saturday night I ate there with my husband he had the most photogenic burger I have ever seen, and the flavour and quality matched the visual. Superb!
I had Artichoke heart which you rarely see and it was lovely, and my duck salad plentiful and good.
The team at the Chequers could'nt be nicer and its great to see the place has retained its Pubby look and feel. If you are visiting the Cotswolds come here, there is'nt much of a garden but the food and the staff make up for that.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

Not impressed, no local feel to this pub as its a chain. The menu choice was very limited and the service was really poor. The staff just seem completely oblivious to the fact that you are there. We went in on the Friday and after much waiting because no one was behind the bar managed to get a drink, we said that we wanted to eat, and asked if we could have some menus, and the guy behind the bar said he didn't have any. That was it! He didn't offer to get us any?

I grapbed a menu from one of the tables and then asked what we do? Do we sit, stand, pick a table? And again he seemed not very interested telling us it was up to us.

We went and sat at a table and we waited and waited, nothing. After 20 minutes I had to ask the waitress if we could please be served, and no apology, she said she would come back. Another ten minutes of waiting, and I had to go to the bar and get some more drinks, eventually she came over, and we ordered our food. We had steaks and their cheese soufflé, which was completely uninspiring, dried up and cold.

Very expensive for what it is, and if you know good food, you won't like this place, on the other hand, if you don't know any different, then good luck to you, you will probably think it's very nice. But I agree with other comments that there is nothing local about this place. It's not a 'Cotswold' restaurant, and the locals avoid this now like the plague, probably because most are too well heeled or sophisticated to eat at this overpriced burger bar, with completely inexperiened staff lacking basic manners. Awful.

1  Thank Blake B