1,462 results
All reviewsvilla caletascosta ricainfinity poolprivate beachzephyr palaceamazing viewswatch the sunsetjunior suiteour honeymoonsan josethe pacific oceanrainy seasonscarlet macawsbeautiful placelos suenospura vidaday trip
Reviewed 11 May 2017

Went to have a drink and watch the sunset. Even though it was rainy season we had a beautiful quick glimpse of a Costa Rican sunset. Drinks are a little expensive but the view is worth it!
The hotel itself is a paradise nestled in the cliffs above Herradura Beach. Stunning, architecture and grounds, We will definitely book a couple of nights here next time we visit.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Scartz
Manager_VillaCaletas, General Manager at Hotel Villa Caletas, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2017

Dear friends, thank you so much for your wonderful review !! We are looking forward to your next visit and stay with us !! Have a wonderful day. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed 8 May 2017

We visit Costa Rica almost annually. This is my favorite hotel to visit-- we usually make it the last leg of our trip, as its an easy drive to the airport. We will be spending out Anniversary hear, again in February 2018.

The views are stunning, the rooms are exquisite and well appointed, the staff is always friendly and accommodating.

My two favorite room categories are the Master Suite and the 20 Year Suite at Zephyr Palace. The Master Suite has a private pool, huge room, two bathrooms, Jacuzzi tub. There was also a private room off the pool that appeared to be for in room massage. The 20 years Suite at Zephyr was also amazing just smaller and without the private pool. Zephyr Palace seems more secluded than the rest of the hotel, we always felt like we were the only ones in the building. Its absolutely stunning.

We have also stayed in the junior Suites which were also very nice and all had there own private Jacuzzi, perfect for relaxing at the end of the day.

The food has always been good on our visits. The food prices are what you would expect at a high end hotel. Our dinning experiences have always been satisfactory. My favorite meal at this hotel is breakfast at the Anfiteatro Restaurant, I love the outdoor seating. The views are gorgeous and its the perfect way to start the day.

There is a private beach that is not a swim beach, but definitely worth a visit especially if you like to sunbathe. There is also a bar and restaurant at the private beach. There are two ways to get to the beach, the hotels private shuttle/or car, or if you are adventurous and in good shape you can hike it. It is a challenging hike, my husband did it alone, he said it was difficult but one of his favorite experiences. He saw monkeys and other wildlife.

Don't forget to make it out to the amphitheater for sunset--gorgeous sunsets, and great cocktails :)

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kp99

Dear Friends, thank you very much for your wonderful review. We all are glad to know that you had such a great time with us not only at Caletas but also at Zephyr !! We strive to give the very best to all our guests. : ) We are looking forward to your visit . Pura Vida !! manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Visited for 4 days and location is one of the best in the world. Sadly it's let down by one or 2 niggles. We booked 2 rooms and were allocated room 9&10 that are adjacent.
Same price for both but massively different in space and room standard. Room 10 much bigger and has a great veranda. Room 9 is nice and also has a good view but not a patch on room 10.

Staff are generally very good but let down by breakfast waiters who seemed happier talking amongst themselves rather than looking after guests.
Cleaning of room also an issue. No turndown despite hotel guide saying this happens. Guide also says ice delivery each evening and this was also missing. Think the worst was dirty glasses left all day and dirty towels not removed.

Tried the private beach for lunch and this was a disappointment. Beach is nice and area clean but lunch failed to deliver. Menus suggest one thing and another is delivered! Also they should stock the bar with more than one beer!
Complaining to staff on beach pointless so we drove up to reception where F&B manager dealt with complaints well and offered a comp lunch in main restaurant. This by the way was excellent!

In summary it's a good hotel and so much better than many in the area. We used it as a base for trips booked in the hotel outlet and really enjoyed the short stay. We would come back !

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear friends, thank you very much for your very nice review and constructive comments. We are paying close attention to them and have shared them with the dept involved. We are looking forward to your next visit. Have a great day. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed 4 May 2017

We stayed 9 nights in room 10. It was very private with a beautiful view. It had 2 chairs and a sofa in the room. A big screen TV could be raised or lowered at the foot of the king size bed. Both sides of the bed had a lot of cabinets so my husband and I had totally separate places to put our clothes, which I loved. We each had lots of shelves and drawers and a place to hang things. There was room to store our luggage as well. There is a mini fridge and a large safe. There are plenty of places to charge your devices and the wifi worked perfectly. There is a big bath tub right by the window in the bathroom and a large walk-in shower. The deck is large and has a table and four chairs, 2 chaise lounges and a 4 person jacuzzi that is always clean and heated. It has amazing jets and the view from there can't be beat. There was nothing I didn't like about our room.
We opted to go into Jaco for breakfast because it's not our style to have big expensive breakfasts. We went to the supermarket in Jaco and bought yogurt, cheese, fruit, snacks, wine......we ate in our room most mornings. We had 1 lunch and 2 dinners on site. The view is magnificent and the staff is so friendly. Especially Jocksan. I loved him. We had the hotel plan 2 activities for us, Tortuga Island and white water rafting. Both events were perfect and we were picked up at the hotel. We went to the beach and had the whole place to ourselves. The water is shallow and you can walk out quite far because you are walking on a huge rock. I saw many colorful fish in the water. It's not a beach for swimming, but you can get wet and enjoy watching the waves. There are many chaise lounges and you can get food and drinks there. We stayed for 2 hours. We saw a toucan in the trees on our way there in the shuttle. Once you are at the resort you must relax and enjoy the surroundings. There is an infinity pool where drinks are served but no food. There is a gym but its outside and way too hot to work out. There is a spa. Beware of the offering of a free facial.......they told me I was randomly chosen, which made me feel special and then it turned out to be a sales pitch. Took 15 minutes of her putting product on my face, showing me the package and talking about it. I really dislike promos like this, it's not right to do this to people. Unless you want to buy something, I'd say no to this free facial. Product line is Sesderma.
We had a car so we went a lot of places, if you don't have a car you are stuck there and it's 7km to Jaco. I thought 9 nights was too long to be there.

Room Tip: Room 10 is very private
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy H

Dear Friends, thank you very much for your very nice review. We all are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and all what the hotel has to offer. We are looking forward to your visit to beautiful Costa Rica !! Have a wonderful day. manager@villacaletas.com

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Overall this hotel is amazing. Expensive but high quality in so many regards. For a solo traveler, two nights was the perfect amount of time to relax, enjoy the amenities and recoup for more CR adventure. Any longer and I would have been too bored.

Here are a few tips I thought I would share:

-if you are on a budget, stop by a Super Mercado before going to Caletas and buy wine/beer/snacks. Once you get to caletas, you are pretty isolated and thus forced to pay top prices. I took some beers and put them in my mini fridge and then took them down to the beach one day

-there are free yoga classes on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Classes are small and it is the most peaceful outdoor setting.

-after yoga, get some breakfast and don't forget the breakfast sausage (salchichas). It was some of the best sausage I have had! Especially good with gallo pinto.

-wear good walking shoes and do the hike down to the beach. It's a steep hike downhill but very enjoyable and private

-the toiletries (which smell absolutely amazing) can be purchased in the gift shop if you really love them.

-use the concierge! They helped me with many other small details of my trip in Costa Rica.

-the lobster bisque was mediocre and only had two little prices in it.

-they can do to-go boxes if you ask.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank CamilleR909

Dear Friend, thank you very much for your very nice review. We are very pleased to know that you had a great time with us and are looking forward to your next visit !! Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com