eDreams
Priceline
Agoda.com
All reviews the owner restaurant area pacific coast birders tennis court hill sunset hiking
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 August 2019

I had Room 16, which was nice and spacious; the little ceiling fan was more than adequate as overnight temps were in the 60s (this is late July). Bathroom was great - nice walk-in shower! No coffee-maker, although Carlos offered to get me one (I had an electric kettle with me so I didn't need it). Had a great view of the back gardens! Food was outstanding - Alicia's a marvelous cook! Both Carloses (Senior and Junior) were attentive and friendly; they went out of their way to arrange a guide to take me to Los Cusingos and made sure the feeders were stocked! Feeders were great for tanagers, honeycreepers, woodpeckers, and even cool butterflies! Trails could use some work; the woodland trails (going uphill) were too dicey for me, and grassy areas leading to some of the trails could use mowing/upgrade, as it would be very easy to step into a hole and sprain your ankle. Half the Riverside Trail was wiped out by Hurricane Nate, but the woodland portion was in good shape (and flat), good for Buff-rumped Warbler, Orange-billed NT, and even ticlears and glasswings. Had over 60 species of butterflies here, easy to see along main road (which is also good birding if you go slow; it's quite steep!)

Room tip: Room 16 was great; apparently rooms across the road are smaller.
Date of stay: July 2019
Reviewed 30 April 2019

beautiful birds, lovely helpful owner. I was over charged by my taxi by a large amount so he insisted that the driver come over and give me the extra back which the driver did. . great but short trails with lots of birds, stunning river flowing, pool needed cleaned while i was there (in my opinion), fruit trees attract very colourful birds... comfortable rooms and very clean. The bed was good, shower was basic but hot. Breakfast and dinner is served. Dinner was very good and tasty but has to be ordered or organised in the morning. The setting is beautiful.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2019

The staff tried hard to make our stay comfortable and upgraded us to a bigger room as the original was a postage stamp, hard bed and no hot water in the sink. Not much to do here. The staff speaks English but not fluent. Dining area is very nice and the food OK. We shortened our stay and checked out a day early.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed 15 April 2019

We've been coming to this lodge for over 10 years. We love it's location and natural setting on the General River just after the confluence of the Chirripo and Buena Vista rivers. The property is filled with birds and is one of our favorite birding spots. But another major draw for us is the lodge itself with great food, staff and comfort. The owner is wonderfully attentive and a great conversationalist. Highly recommend it as a place to stay, bird, dine and just enjoy nature.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2019

Hi guys
If you want to take pictures of birds.
This is the place to be.
Carlos is a very friendly host.
The food is very tasteful.
The deck is a gem.
The bathroom was not clean. Carlos do something about it.
The rooms are noisy.
We had room 16. Spacious, equipped with a fridge and a coffeemaker.
Above us room 19. It had a cracking floor. Very noisy.
So, if you do not want to hear the noise of your neighbours, take room 18 or 19, they are upstairs.
Rooms 1....8 are budget rooms. the have a fridge. About a coffemaker, I am not sure.
The garden is fantastic. a lot of birds in the garden.
regards
schliek

Room tip: room 18 and 19 are upstairs.
Date of stay: March 2019