See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 January 2014

The downtown pangea hostel with its by nice ambience was booked out my first night so I got a free transfer out to Toruma. The avienda next door has lots of heavy traffic of buses and trucks rumbling by so its a bit noisy in the rooms on the east side. Room was also a bit dusty and scuffed looking and in need of a good dust down and the lamp needed a plug. Staff friendly enough but it lacks the location and ambience of pangea and you may end up feeling lonely and isolated out on the town outskirts at Toruma were the facilities are not as good

Room Tip: West rooms further from noisy road
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank davidhughtaylor
Reviewed 6 January 2014

A President's former residence, I'm sure this place was cool once, but no longer. The staff were rude/apathetic, the key rarely worked in locks, we were charged $5 extra to check in 3-4 hrs early when they had plenty of room, the pool was ice cold, there is NOTHING around the hostel outside, and they don't have a functioning bar or restaurant of any kind as advertised (they try and send you to another hostel Pangea 3 kms down the road). The place feels dead. Don't book here. Go with a brand.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Went with a colleague/friend of mine temporarily since hotels were all booekd up. Got this as a recommendation from their sister hotel Pangea. 3 Main Points:

1. Expectations
2. Staff
3. Value for Money

Expectations:
Not at all like the pictures. There was no restaurant in the hotel as advertised. Rooms were clean but not the rooms we were promised on check-in. We asked specifically for 2 rooms with single beds or at least a room with 2 separate beds but were duped into a dorm room that had 1 queen bed and bunk beds. Bathroom was clean but literally leaked into the room.

Staff:
Neither the lady (working noon-ish on Saturday) nor the young man (working Sunday) were service minded at all. Lady charged extra dollar for an extra key, but did not put it in the receipt as a deposit. Did not even note it for the man. Not usually a big deal, but he got defensive when I mentioned this and gave a "not my problem" vibe even if he could have easily checked with her or offered to check and have me come back for the tiny deposit(I wouldn't have, it's the gesture that mattered). Very curt. Not very warm.

Value for Money:
Website says a certain amount with no hidden fees, got charged 10 dollars more total. Did not get room key deposit back (they have an inconsistent system). Noise was unbelievable for the amount we paid. They advertise orthopedic mattresses for all beds, but did not deliver either.

All in all, would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Better ask for a room much farther from the lobby, but you won't get your wifi.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eyshun
Reviewed 4 September 2013

It's a FABOULOUS!! Stay! at Hostel Toruma! in San Jose, Costa Rica! Right next to Downtown San Jose, and all the famous landmarks, Hot Spots! and Near San Pedro Shopping Mall ! I consider Hostel Toruma my "Retreat Home" When I Land there from United States. I feel "At Home" and feel like a Royality! Being treated Royality! the costs is not too bad! it's reasonable and cheap! But the Pool is lovely! Swimming Pool is Absoultey Stunning!! but COLD!!! Brrr Wish They have Heated! Swimming pool ! But other than that! Just make myself "At Home!" With Hostel Toruma! I DEFIENTLY!!! Will Be coming back! :D (Y)

Room Tip: They EVEN! have Dormitory and Bunk beds for group travelers! or go Solo or in Couple and share the experience of showering next to outdoor mini privacy balcony with window and feel the breeze of Costa Rica coming through! or stay cool! with nice Air Conditioner or be warm with extra blanket. The Hotel doesn't provide much becuz' it's a "Self-Serve" stay at the Hostel Toruma where you bring what you need and buy foods to bring what you can eat, save, or use at anytime on your own needs, and time. The Hotel just provide you a room and a place to stay! VERY!! Reasonable prices are VERY AWESOME!!!! No other Hotel can beat their prices for stay! :D I WILL RETURN! For More of their excellent place for me to stay and call it my retreat home. ;)
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank RoyalCasey88
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Room was right next to a train line which had trains beeping all through the night. It's a fair walk to the city centre. But the thing that annoyed me most was that they didn't have a place for me to store my luggage after checking out. Also there's no kitchen and no restaurant, the showers are unreliable and there are very few electrical outlets to charge your stuff.

I wouldn't come back personally.

• Stayed: May 2013