“Italian wine tasting dinner”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2018

Overall a good evening at the Royal Oak. We were a bit surprised/disappointed that the 3 course menu didn't have a more italian theme to it. The three courses seemed to be fairly standard items off the main menu.

The service throughout the evening (especially for such a large group) was very good and the food was all well presented and very good too.

The three wines on offer to accompany the food were all good, but I was hoping for something rather special from the particular winery featured. I also thought it was a bit strange that the wines being 'tasted' don't feature on the wine list normally; nor were we offered the chance to buy further glasses of the wines.

Overall a very good evening; but not sure it showed off the Royal Oak at its normal best.

1  Thank 66Ihughes66

Reviewed 17 May 2018

We travelled from Guildford with an overnight stay in Maidenhead to eat here for my husband's birthday based on the Masterchef Professional winner being the chef here. Sadly, he had left 2 weeks before our visit but not put off, we enjoyed a very decent meal here.

The staff were very attentive and even tho our table was a little cramped right up against a window overlooking the courtyard, there was a nice buzz in the restaurant. Our food was very good but as I write this almost 4 weeks after our visit, I can't remember what we ate so maybe that's a telling tale. We were not disappointed with the food and took our coffee in the bar afterwards which was a lovely way to end the evening.

I wouldn't travel a distance to get here again, but if you are local, then you are lucky to have this restaurant on your doorstep and it's deserving of its Michelin star

1  Thank DaniH0103
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

I went to The Royal Oak bank holiday Monday as a result of ‘Craig’ a former chef winning master chef, so had great expectations!
It was a beautiful day, and the setting and gardens are stunning, we sat at a table overlooking the garden with the doors open, didn’t find the staff over friendly or informative, but I was annoyed quite early on as we ordered the bread basket, and was advised to have two as there were four of us, which was fine until they bought one-exactly the same as the table of two next to us had, and I can’t imagine they ordered one each! When I asked the waiter if we had one or two , he said two even though I pointed out the next table had exactly the same for two, he just said ‘yes’ and brushed it off!
We ordered the beetroot salad, pate, and asparagus starters, which were are presented nicely, and tasted good, as mains we had halibut,lamb and sea bass, also really good, for desert three of us ordered the sticky toffee pudding, with popcorn ice cream, which frankly was very disappointing, it was too dense, lacked flavour, and I couldn’t tell you the flavour of the ice cream if I didn’t see it on the menu, I have had far superior from pre made shop bought from Sainsburys or M&S! Unanimously not good at all!
The guys ordered flat white coffee, whilst they said it was ‘ok’ it was far too hot, any proper barista would tell you it should not be too hot as it changes the taste of the milk, under 70 celsius, or it’s not a flat white!
And funnily enough the waitress was happy to explain what the individual petit four’s were that came with the coffee, but not for the actual meals!
So to sum it up, the food-apart from the sticky toffee pudding was very good, unhappy about bread-gate, as we were charged for two portions and got one, even though we questioned it, AND we were never offered it, they took our side plates away, and had to bring them back, coffee too hot, setting beautiful, happy to pay £255 for the meal, but wasn’t impressed enough to return!

1  Thank jamSurrey
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Fantastic food and the best service ever !

Really enjoy going to the Royal Oak the food is so delicious.

Looking forward to going again soon.

1  Thank Chilli99_12
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We decided to go on short notice for a late lunch on Sunday,
Beautiful feel to the "Pub" , particularly loved the Art throughout the restaurant.

I had the Asparagus starter, my wife had the Pigeon - Asparagus was lovely , confit egg yolk was slightly overdone - would of liked it more gooey in the middle - presentation could of been a bit more clean ( personal preference ).
Pigeon - Sublimely cooked , and very nice flavours , again i think a lighter coloured plate would of done the dish more justice with some contrast of colour.

Mains - Lamb was a bit tough considering it is cooked sous vide , the croquette was lovely and in my opinion a star, could of done with more wild garlic , presentation was reasonable .

Wife had the Bass - Nice piece of fish - slightly overcooked - not major ..served with a sort of broad bean fricassé , faultless dish but lacked something... Seasoning spot on. Presentation a tad rustic .

We didn't opt to have dessert - it seemed a tad uninspired compared to the rest of the offering.

2 starters - 2 mains - 2 Pints - 2 Kir Royal's (14 each ) - 135.00 -

Money well spent .

Hope to join you again .

1  Thank coalin f