Cortijo el Sotillo
Las Gaviotas Hostal(San Jose)(Great Value!)
US$61
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Hotel Agades(San Jose)
  • Pool
All reviewsspaghetti westernsclint eastwoodhorse ridingmany placeshalf boardfantastic viewsroundabouthorsesscenesspainfridgesergiotownfilmbeachessupermarket
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Picked as a stop on RoutePerfect with no idea what it involved .
Was a site for Clint Eastwood ' For a few dollars more ' film . Really nice staff , welcoming , patient to poor Spanish attempts from English speakers , nice breakfast , lovely quiet room AND a super pool area with areas of shade . Not an easy walk into town as suggested by some ....no paths , fast moving traffic alongside .....but if you have a car go into town and eat at El Pirata ....fantastic views , great big gins , good food and Davide the boss is a good man . Hotel also has heaps of no charge parking - a rarity in Spain .

Room Tip: All good .....single level hotel big rooms all with country views
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

El Cortijo was perfect for our needs, spacious clean room, fridge, safe and little patio. Despite it being one of San Jose' busiest weekends of the year (big summer solstice beach party) it was quiet and relaxing. The pool is extremely clean, we always had it to ourselves. Yes, El Cortijo is a walk out of the pretty village of San Jose, it's only about 10mins max..(make sure you have a small torch as there is a small bit of road where there is no pavement so just sensible for oncoming cars...although the roads really weren't busy. We'd recommend hiring a car to be able to take advantage of all of the beautiful beaches..."oafs of parking on site. The staff were lovely, breakfasts good with a large variety on offer. The hotel can book horse riding for you, I did this prior to arrival to avoid disappointment. When booking, be honest about your level. Don't say you are only intermediate if you can trot and have had the odd canter, the horses Arabs and fast. The same riding establishments has other horses for a slower ride, for beginners-intermediates. The horses were really well looked after and looked very healthy (I wouldn't have ridden if they were skinny)...they also insisted you wore a helmet which was good as many places don't. We didn't hire but walked loads, and loads (although this restricted us beach wise)..the buses were easy to use although not that many each day...all in all a great place to stay and would highly recommend.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2017

We booked in , had a really nice clean room overlooking the golf course. The buffet was very good, we went half board, did find eating at 8-o'clock at night was a bit late, but as this was an all Spanish hotel we had to put up with it. I went to the bar to get mine and my husband a drink only to be kept waiting while the three bar staff served their own, or instead of serving me sit took two people to serve one person. Needless to say I felt intimidated. My husband had a word at reception, was not so bad after that, not good , but we put up with it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2017

My husband and I stayed here for Easter weekend and had requested a double bed (instead of two twins) at the time of booking. When we arrived in the late afternoon, the person at the front desk barely gave us a welcome and showed us to our room: two separate twin beds. When we mentioned that we had requested a double, he shortly replied that they were all booked up for the weekend and that we wouldn't be able to switch rooms.

I am extremely annoyed that the hotel didn't bother to email us when I booked (weeks prior!) that they wouldn't be able to fulfill our bed preference. At least that would have allowed us to get used to the idea and/or find another place to stay. Who wants to have a romantic vacation with their significant other and then spend the weekend sleeping in separate beds? The beds were separated by a built in end table, so it wasn't even possible to put them together without completely changing their position to another wall. Ridiculous.

Some pluses:
The room itself was big and nicely decorated. The woman who worked the front desk the following days was helpful in pointing out nearby walking trails. If it hadn't been for our somewhat cold welcome and the twin bed situation, my experience at Cortijo El Sotillo would have been much, much better.

Advice:
Skip the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

I find this problem wherever I stay now...unruly and noisy brats whose parents seem to think everyone else should just have to put up with there annoying offspring because " you were a child once". Yes I was but my father made sure I behaved and if I didn't I felt his wrath. Why don't parents take their kids to a family hotel not a hotel that is obviously set up for peace and quiet.
And that's my only complaint from this hotel the rest of it was marvellous.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo