All reviewsbodkin housesteakfriendly coupleopen firelovely mealplay areaold buildingon arrivalwarm welcomesunday lunchmain courseate heregood sizeenglish breakfastfamily runevening mealboth nights
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here for one night in June, and thought is was very comfortable and cosy. A beautiful, small hotel in the Cotswolds, watch your head in the rooms, though! There's nothing around the hotel so you need to drive to get anything. The staff and the bar are fantastic, best steak I've had in a long time, the sitting room is very nice. This hotel is very old but has lots of character.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night; having read this place had been on the Hotel Inspector we were a little apprehensive to start with .... Upon arrival we were shown to our room which was very clean, light and spacious; the food looked good (although we didn't eat there as we had plans for the evening), the breakfast was good and the owner is a good character.

Good hotel for family's (nice grounds for children to play in) and couples.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Daveh1291
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here when I was on a cricket tour and it is very nice and comfortable. The rooms are nicely furnished and named after writers. I only are breakfast but the was a good selection and the food on offer was delicious. They also have a bar and the Butcombe ale on offer was of a very high standard ( it's one of my favourite ales ). I would like to try their evening menu so I will just have to bring my fiancé here to stay. Well done

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Wow, what a fantastic time we all had at Bodkin House. We had a family get together, 17 of us in total and not one of us was disappointed we chose this place as our venue! I can thoroughly recommend you choosing here for any family gatherings. We were looked after from the moment we arrived until the time we left. It is a family run hotel and all the staff were so professional and polite at all times. I have to say a big thank you to Lucy especially who worked so hard.
The grounds of the hotel were great, there was plenty of space for the children to play games and the dogs to have a walk round, there was even a climbing frame and swings, what a great idea! Also overlooking the gardens was a lovely decking area, perfect place to have light refreshments! The hotel itself was well looked after and maintained, everywhere was so clean and tidy. All the rooms we had, from a double to family were spacious and light and airy, again all clean and well presented.
Even though the hotel was on the main road there was good insulation so you were not kept awake by any traffic noise.
There were different areas inside for sitting and relaxing and also to eat. We had our own spacious room (the library) for our meal. The food came out on time and altogether even though they were serving 17 of us, it was all hot and of a good quality. The staff were still happy to serve us with drinks in to the early hours of the morning without any hesitation or sign that they had had enough of guest for the day, we were never made to feel we should vacate the bar.
The same staff were up early for breakfast and again the same excellent service was provided. For breakfast there was cereal, juice, toast, tea, coffee, all constantly replenished when it run low. The full English went down very well with adults and the children all opted for sausages sandwiches, there was even a good vegetarian breakfast, all freshly cooked.
We have already booked for next year, thanks again to all the staff at Bodkin House, keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at the Bodkin House Hotel last weekend with my two boys (8 and 5) and we had such a lovely family stay that none of us wanted to leave on Sunday. Situated in beautiful countryside, the hotel is simply stunning - full of charm and character. We arrived tired after a long four hour drive and were immediately welcomed and made our way to the lovely bar area - all oak panels, flagstone floor and picturesque fireplace. We then spent an hour on the outside deck in the sun as the boys explored the enormous gardens and playarea - heaven!!! The boys ordered the chef's freshly made spaghetti bolognase, which they declared "to die for" followed by the speciality ice creams! I enjoyed a stunning starter of perfectly-cooked scallops followed by a delicious crispy chicken dish. Our beautifully appointed family room (double, 2 singles) had a lovely view of the pond and garden and was full of the character (sash window, period fireplace etc) so often lacking in family accommodation. All spotlessly clean. A hearty cooked breakfast followed a great night's sleep. I would thoroughly recommend the Bodkin, we were made to feel so welcome by all the staff throughout our stay. Thank you Bodkin!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family