“Seafood Delight”
Review of Nong Mai Rim Lea - CLOSED

Nong Mai Rim Lea
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 15 April 2015

Visited the restaurant whilst staying nearby at the Anantara Resort.
Food was superb dining under the stars near the beach and the staff very friendly. Cost was very reasonable and family enjoyed the night out

There are newer reviews for Nong Mai Rim Lea

Reviewed 25 March 2015

We found this local restaurant on TripAdvisor and decided to try it out, having been to Kindee, JJ's as well as the resort dining options. This place is what eating out in Phuket is about if you want to have a taste of real Thai family food. Just get a taxi from the resort for 100THB or you could walk in about 10-15 minutes... You will be happy you did!!!

The food at Nong Mai Rim Lay was by far the best we've had in Phuket. This really is a local beach front restaurant which is family run. Nong Mai is the daughter, with her younger brother on the floor and Mum & Dad in the kitchen.

We over ordered and ate everything from Green Papaya Salad(best ever) Shrimp Cakes(better than Fish Cakes) Morning Glory and Spring Rolls and this was to start.

The stir fried Crab with Chilli was mouth wateringly more-ish, the finger bowl is a large plastic tub with fresh limes placed on a chair next to the table as there was no room on the table as the dishes arrived(no fuss, no frills just great food) Fried Chicken with Pepper and Garlic, Squid with Cashew Nuts, Fried Rice in Pineapple(again the best we've had) Pad Thai with Shrimps.. We were in food heaven!!! Oh.. And the biggest Grilled BBQ Prawns we've seen.

I just want to say that it wasn't just me, but our whole group of four that thought this was the best place we had eaten at during our whole two week stay in Phuket and trust me, we ate out every night in Kata Beach, Chalong Bay and now Mai Khao.

If you don't like it, I will eat my hat as long as Nong Mai's mother cooks it!!

4  Thank Patryc L
Reviewed 23 March 2015

This is our third visit to Mai Khao and we had heard from some other friends that Nong Mai Rim Lay had closed down. We decided to take a walk along the beach to the previous location to do our own research. Much to our joy and pleasure, we found a line of local market/street style restaurants and there amongst them was our much loved Nong Mai Rim Lay.

Before I continue, I'm not sure where those contributors have eaten around the world who say this place is 'very expensive'. The fresh whole fish is priced at 60THB per 100gms and this price has remained the same since we first ate here in June 2013. Our bill for four people with Shrimp Cakes, Fried Cashew Nuts, Green Papaya Salad, Shrimp Pad Thai, Stir Fried Prawns in Tamarind Sauce, Fried Squid With Garlic & Pepper, Whole Fried Fish In Three Flavours, Pineapple Rice and 3 Large Chang Beers and a Fresh Green Coconut cost 1850THB, rounded off to 2000THB with tip. By Australian standards that is about $20 Australian dollars per person, so you decide.

All the tables are now outdoor (some under cover) and so close to the beach and at night, the lighting is reminiscent of a circus with rows of light globes on wires overhead.

We sat down as the sun was setting on the ocean and the gentle sea breeze was most welcome. I'd suggest mosquito repellent, but we were not bothered with them this particular night...the restaurant will also provide some, if needed.

This is a basic, no frills, local, family run, restaurant and the food is cooked with genuine heart and authenticity.

The Thai Fish Cakes were unavailable, so the waitress suggested Shrimp Cakes, which were so light and delicate, not forgetting huge too.. 5 in one portion. The Fried Cashew Nuts were doused with fresh spring onions and red chilli pieces and just the right amount salt to complement the cold Chang beers.

All of our food was simply excellent, so much so that I have woken up this morning thinking about what I am going to eat tonight as I can't wait to return.

Reviewed 10 September 2014

We thought this place being a shack, would have reasonable prices. Unfortunately not. One fish alone cost THB700. This place was the most expensive meal we had in Phuket! The food was so so. A good thing was the owner sent us back to the hotel after the meal as it was raining.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Don't judge a book by its cover... that is right! The food here is 10 times better than the surrounding restaurants. It is family run I believe and the food and service is lovely! Fresh food, even for a vegetarian this is good. If you are bored of the hotels in Mai Khao then definitely try this. I had the vegetarian pad thai and loved it, my partner had fish (can't remember which!) but the portion was huge! For the price you pay it is good!

We stayed at the renaissance near by and asked the hotels shuttle to drop us off here.