3,564 results
All reviews sand box loca vore thai restaurant sandbox restaurant sand bar pool villa deluxe room breakfast buffet turtle village kids pool mai khao beach special thanks thai boxing eggs benedict main pool executive chef free shuttle
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Not quite a luxury 'boutique' resort though I feel it wants to sell itself as such to differ from it's bigger sister family oriented resort next door, the JW Marriott. Rooms are decent, comfortable but again, lacking the finer details. Had to air the room out and ask for a change of fresh sheets upon checking in as there was a damp, musty smell in the room and sewer odors in the shower. Tired looking bath towels, worn furniture, not too attractive ponds and water features around the property, all look in need of some attention. Balconies in the rooms could be anything from nice to nasty depending on what floor or wing you're on so beware. Staff were excellent, friendly and helpful and this helped sooth things over. Again, a pool that's more boutique sized and definitely too small to handle a high occupancy, especially when there are more families with young children. While we were able to find ourselves a quiet space away from the pool, it was unfortunate we weren't able to avail ourselves to more time in it.. The beach along this stretch is nice but the relatively steep run down to the water pretty much curtails any kind of activity on the beach itself. With just two stand up paddleboards and a hand full of wakeboards available at the little beach stand, it's hard to rev up the fun meter here unfortunately. The great F & B from their main dining facilty, Loca Vore and their more fine dining style Thai restaurant Takieng and most of the staff do help make up for these other shortcomings.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Leslie K
Sander_Looijen, General Manager at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear bbrhk

Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor.

We are excited that you have enjoyed our service and food & beverage offerings, I will ensure to share those compliments with the team.

We are sad though to be reading that we have fallen short of meeting your expectations on other fronts. Our rooms should be fresh and certainly not smell unpleasant and if this was the case then I must apologise. I will also reinforce the upkeep of the room and personally inspect this to ensure things are up to our usual 5* standard.

I would love to welcome you back one day to show you the improvements we have made in these areas.

I wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

Stayed at the Renaissance over Christmas 2017 and what an amazing experience. First up the staff at this hotel are amazing - genuinely friendly and always accommodating. My children used the kids club every day and loved it and the decent size pool provided a nice relief from the hot days. There is also a smaller kids pool for younger children which is shaded. The beach which is meters form the property is clean although the waves maybe too large for smaller children. So plenty of options for swimming.

The rooms are very spacious and modern, we had a corner room on an upper floor which was an added bonus

The resort is away from any large towns and I was originally concerned that we'd quickly get bored with hotel food but this was not the case. There was a large choice always on offer, with the hotel running various "themes" most nights. The breakfast was excellent, with a wide global range to suit all tastes.

We used the free bikes most days, either to cycle around the area or to take a quick trip up to the small mall which is about 5-10 minutes ride away (There is a shuttle also). There you will find a few other dining options and some convenience stores.

We didn't rent a car and used taxi's for a few trips, if you haven't been to Phuket before you may want to consider renting a car to give you some more freedom. The taxi's although relatively inexpensive but can add up for longer trips.

There is also a small gym with some cardio machines and some free weights.

In summary a great hotel for family's with truly amazing staff.

Room tip: Upper floor , facing the gardens.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear IrishWorldTraveler

Thank you for the great review! It is wonderful to know that you and the family have enjoyed the time with us.

Also great to know that you have enjoyed the menu different evenings our resort had on offer such as the Night Market, Seafood BBQ, Phuket buffet, fire show and more.

I have forwarded your comments about the food to the kitchen brigade and they are equally excited about your review of the breakfast.

We look forward welcoming you back again a next time

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Hotel was great. Not too big but has everything you could want. Sits on a really nice beach.
Staff were all superb and really go out of their way to make your stay that little bit better.
Can’t recommend it enough.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Eric

Thanks for the review! We are super excited to know that you have enjoyed the resort and its warm Thai hospitality.

We look forward welcoming you back a next time again.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Our first time i Phuket ! Guys were really helpful and food was great ! We will definately come back because of Sam, Kluag and Will, thank you huys and we do really look forward to meeting you soon :-)))

Room tip: Garden villa
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear lindylou322

Thank you for the great review! Great to know that the team at Takieng has taken good care of you

We look forward welcoming you back a next time around.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Before booking this place, I Googled "quietest beach on Phuket" and my research eventually led me to this wonderful resort.

Amazing:
On my second day here I came down with a miserable flu. The next morning my wife had to call housekeeping in advance to warn them about the bathroom and come prepared with appropriate supplies. Our housekeeper immediately showed up full of kindness and sympathy and got straight to work. What a blessing.

Really Great:
The service here was superb -- check in, check out, housekeeping, and all restaurants. I didn't meet any hotel staff who weren't extremely friendly, attentive, and accommodating. Absolutely terrific group.

The beach was fantastic. Long, clean, and empty. Perfect. Flag signage indicates an occasional undertow, but security kept the flags up to date based on tides and weather. We had no issues swimming at all. Definitely calm enough for paddle boarding, etc.

The food at the different restaurants was all excellent.

My wife and I booked a couple's massage which they tailored precisely to our request. My salt scrub and deep tissue massage was one of the best I've ever had.

No annoying (or other) music at the pool. Enough said.

Recliners that can be moved to quiet, shady spots on the lawn with beach views. Perfect location for a quiet nap.

Great:
We had what I assume is a standard room. Nicely designed. Very clean. Comfortable bed with great linens. Large bathroom. Wonderful rain style, walk-in shower.

Bike rentals for a bit of local exploring.

Not So Great:
I found the food prices were too high. Perhaps on USD or other currencies, this would be different. But on the weak Canadian dollar, these food prices were hard to swallow.

So many kids! To be fair, traveling on Christmas break, this should be expected. But at times the pool was literally taken over by loud, small children. Meanwhile, the kids pool remained an empty, peaceful oasis. Another alternative is to hunker down in a shady spot on the expansive lawn between the pool and the beach.

In the end, even through the haze of the flu, this resort really shone through. Our week here was too short.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank IvanGee604

Dear IvanGee604

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am proud to be reading how well our team has taken care of you and will make sure to forward your appreciation.

Mai Khao Beach is indeed a perfect quiet stretch of white sand for guests just to relax and completely unwind and I am excited to know that you have been able to enjoy just that.

We look forward welcoming you back a next time soon.