“Save your money”

Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Oxton, United Kingdom
“Save your money”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This was probably the worst week away we've ever had. Over crowded no sun beds, dreadful food, 1 wardrobe for 6 people, too noisy, nothing for teenagers to do and the list goes on need we say more? The only way this hotel would be a good break is if you have small children who like kids clubs, Butlins style entertainment and the family like eating at fast food restaurants!

This hotel is 2 star hotel at best and if you're still tempted then go self catering and eat out!

It was so bad we checked out after 3 nights! We not holiday snobs but this hotel should not be 4 star or be attempting an all inclusive option!

• Stayed August 2011
7 Thank LLoydH-Hols

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I visited this complex with 2 friends in October. It is beside the beach & our apartment had beautiful sea views. The complex is aimed for families and is perfect for children with lots of activities and evening entertainment. We didn't get the value of this, but it was still a nice place. I can see how during the summer it is packed with children. During October there were only very small children and there was plenty of spare sunloungers etc.

Very clean. We had a 2 bed apartment, one bedroom had a double bed & was very very small, but fine if you are happy to leave the door open.

The area is quiet, there are some shops & restaurants nearby and Alcudia & C'an Picafort are easily accessible by bus. I do not recommend C'an Picafort - typical tacky resort with no nice restaurants. I was impressed with Alcudia, as having been there many years ago remember it as not great, but it had some lovely local restaurants and nice shops and lovely harbour area.

I also took the bus to Palma - the bus stop is right outside the complex, the bus to Palma took 1 hr, it is a nice town, the harbour area is very nice and worth seeing, but the shops are nothing special and very difficult to find the shopping area. I also went to Inca - half hour by bus - it was a waste of time, the leather shops are not great, jackets etc are not much cheaper than home. The Camper factory shop in Inca was only 30% off the RRP -I got more discount earlier this year on Amazon!

There is a beautiful walk from the complex along the beach to either Alcudia or C'an Picafort.

We ate in the hotel restaurant one night and it was nice, reasonable at €13 for the buffet incl dessert, although other restaurants were preferrable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Iloveholidays76
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

After looking for nearly 3 weeks we decided on the above resort. It was our first family holiday abroad for my wife and 6 year old daughter and to be honest i couldn't fault it. We upgraded to pool view which was a sea view as most of them look out to the sea.[first tip] Seeing some of the accomodation further back I'd recommend doing this. The pool was excellent with sunbeds not being too much of a problem.The water slide was a great addition , and the beach clean and the sea shallow a long way out, excellent for the kids.The people selling on the beach like dodgy watches,massages!! and hair brading was quite annoying but it is a public beach. Another tip haggle the hair brading down to 4 euro not the 10 they ask for . Entertainment was fantastic for everyone, and premium drinks[strongbow,fosters etc ] only an extra euro.Also included in the all inclusive package was various cocktails to. Overall I'd recommend this resort to anyone with children who like to mix with other kids, and a big thanks to the kids entertainment staf for a job well done!! Go for it you won't be disappointed

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Stephen S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Arrived at the Pins on the 20th of Sept with my husband, 22 month old daughter, mother in law and her friend and I have to say that I absolutely loved it, we had a brilliant holiday!

The hotel is pretty big with about 6 or 8 apartment blocks and the main swimming pool is nice and big but like other people have mentioned there are just rows and rows of sun loungers and it was pretty crowded while we where. I can't even imagine how busy it must have been during July and August when British schools were off. The majority of guests there when we were there where German/Dutch/Swedish and there schools must have been off as there were loads of kids about. Theres a smaller childrens pool which was fantastic for my daughter. Its away from the main pool so a lot calmer and as it's only about 4" deep it keeps the older children away so the babies can toddler and play safely. Theres also the splash pool with little slides for the younger kids but the postioning of it isn't great and the sun doesnt get to it til later in the day so its freezing earlier on. From my own experience the pool areas were all kept nice and clean, the cleaners were out early in the morning and each night sunloungers were tidied up and rubbish taken away. There are signs around the pool saying you can't leave towels on the sunloungers to secure beds and any left early on were taken away but you seemed to be OK if you walked down after 9am to chose beds. To be honest I dont think there'd be a problem getting a bed anyway as there were so many. Pool entertainment took place everyday by the reps, pool party, aerobis etc. One thing worth noting tho is that even though there is a life guard on duty don't count on him for anything! Everytime we went to the pool area this same guard was sitting in his chair playing on his phone and barely looking up. There were children allowed to play in the pool at the bottom of the slide so anyone coming down the slide could easily have hurt one of these kids. As usual the pool area is all tiled so can be quite slippy when wet but noting out of the ordinary there.

The beach is on the doorstep, you literally walk out of the pool area onto a gorgeous beach. Beach isn't too wide so can seem a little busy but its easy getting a space to lay a towel or get a beach bed. I don't understand the reviews saying people were booking the beds the day before as I certainly didn't witness this. It might have been the norm during the busier season but every single day we went to the beach we got 4 sun beds by each other with no problem at all. The ticket man would collect the money mid-morning and never once asked if we want to pay for the following day so a little unsure as to where these reviews are coming from. I will say it it a little expensive to hire the beds, 8.50 euros a day for the 2 beds. Beach is lovely and clean tho, rubbish is collected each night and a tracker goes over it all to wipe away holes and sand castles created during the day. Sea is super clean and goes quite a distance out before getting deep so perfect to paddle in with the little ones.

We stayed self catering so can't comment much on the food as we only ate in the main restaurant once (on the first night as we arrived early in the evening and were all starving) and my experience was the food wasnt that great, I found it very salty, not that hot and limited choice but then again I am quite picky. As we were self catering it cost us 16 euro each to eat at the buffet (baby went free coz she was under 2) and drinks had to be ordered and paid for seperately. Didn't mind paying 16 euros to for evening meal but lunch was charged at 12 euros for not much more than burger and chips! Food was pretty expensive if you were paying for it on site. There are a few restaurants in the little viallge type place just along from the hotel (about 5 min walk) where you can get the usual style Spanish food and theres a couple of lovely Italian restaurants there as well. Theres a steakhouse which I wouldn't recommend as the meals came dripping in olive oil and it was very expensive! Was quiet every time we passed it, now we know why! Also I'd stay clear of the barbeque grill at the entrance to the hotel. Staff were very friendly but service was very slow and a bit chaotic. Can't even say the food was worth waiting for! the onsite supermarket was very well stocked so you can buy just about everything in there for your self catering stay. There are a couple of other supermarkets quite close by so might be worth trying them all to compare prices as I noticed the onsite one was a little more expensive than others but prob because of the convenience of it. stayed open til about 10pm so was handy for any last minute buys.

Now onto my last but most important point, the apartment itself. For me I like to use my apartment as just a base so we were happy with what we had however I can see why some people complain. The bedroom wasn't the biggest so when we arrived the cot we requested was in the living room but we just pushed the beds against the wall and the cot fitted fine. The apartment itself was a decent size and had all the things we needed, a microwave, toaster, hob, fridge, pans etc. Cutlery, tea towels and washing up sponges were also supplied. The apartment showed plenty of signs of wear and tear but was clean and comfortable. The TV was mounted a little high on the wall tho so watching it on the sofa was a little uncomfortable but to be honest we only ever really used it for CBeebies to amuse my daughter lol! We had a corner apartment so it was slightly larger than the one my mother in law had plus our balcony was HUGE with a lovel sea view. Its worth mentioning that I read on here about the entertainment being quite noisy which it really is so if you get an apartment close to the stage then your children are not going to be going to sleep until it all goes off at about 11pm. with this in mind I emailed the hotel prior to arrival and asked to be given a room well away from the stage which we were and it was perfect. We could hear the entertainment of an evening while out on the balcony but with the doors/windows closed it just sounded a bit muffled and didn't disturb my baby at all. We were in the Menorca block (B block) and I would defo recommend it! We actually had room number B305 if anyone wants to request it. The walls are paper thin though and you can hear the apartment above you moving furniture or showering but in all the hotel is very family based so the noise quietens right down after about 9.30-10pm but as there are plenty of young children about the noise starts back up again at 6.30-7am.

The evening entertainment seemed quite cheap and not that great but we didn't really go to it anyway as we went out for evening meal most nights. We did go to it early on a couple of times as they had childrens entertainment on til about 7 or 8pm and this was good for the little ones as they had dancing and there was even a reptile night one night. Its only performed by the Thompson reps so dont go expecting there to be a top act on any night and its performed by the entrance to the beach so we found it a little chilly and windy to sit there after about 9pm because of the sea breeze.

There are plenty of Thompson reps about but if you want to discus anything to do with your holiday you have to speak to the English rep but they were helpful enough. Playa De Muro is about 5-10 mins on the bus and Alcudia is about 15-20 mins away. You catch the same bus and its the one charge (1.25 eusro) wherever you are goin. Buses are very easy to catch, arrive outside hotel every 15 mins and run until about 10pm.

Having stayed for 2 weeks I can't believe when I read the negative reports as I had a fantastic time and can't really knock anything! I sometimes wonder if people expect 5 star+ quality from 4 star accomodation!! All the staff that we encountered where very friendly and I would go back there tomorrow!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Scouse_Mouse_7777
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The beach (public) is the best here. Swimming pools in the hotel are good, but can be crowded. It's a lot of children here. We traveled with our boy at two years and our daughter at 5 months. Our boy loved the beach with the sand, of course. He also liked the swimming pools. We had half board. The food is not much to write home about. It could be better... Too much big-kitchen and not very good food related commodities. They tried to vary, and sometimes it was ok. The entertainment at the evening was a not very relevant with our two small children. I think this will be quite noisy if you would have a flat/room close to the scene. Luckily, we had a flat far away, but of course we heared it. WiFi is only available in a small area, but worked good there.

All in all, an ok place, we had a good time there, but we will probably not travel back to this hotel. But we will visit Majorca again!

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the scene, i.e. not at the area around the swimming pools, if you want it q...