All reviews half board breakfast and dinner sea view lounge chairs per day car rental rosé evening entertainment indoor and outdoor pools wellness centre noise coming direct access clean sandy beach chocolate fountain small supermarket lots of sun loungers opening times
Reviewed 8 June 2017

With the prospect of being stranded in Port D'Alcudia for three days due to a daughter unable to fly my mindset was mildly harassed as I checked into the Esperanza. It had come recommended by my parents who had stayed here a mere twenty years ago so I really wasn't sure what to expect.

What I found was an immaculately clean hotel, room and restaurant with a choice of three crystal clear swimming pools and a proliferation of smiling and helpful staff from the cleaners to the lifeguards. The location is excellent - being right on the beach and away from the noisier town centre but there are still plenty of shops within easy walking distance as well as car rental outlets, excursion agents etc. The grounds are covered in sun beds so we never had to search for one and there are handy changing cabins and day beds for everyone to find some shade under the palm trees.

My daughter was gutted that she was unable to use the pools (due to her ear infection) but happily three stray cats in the hotel garden were extremely pleased to have their tummies tickled in the sunshine which went some way to compensate.

Our room, while not large was ample for what we needed. The thermostat was simple to use allowing the temperature to be adjusted, black out curtains kept out the light as well as the heat and even though we were on the street side of the hotel we couldn't hear a thing when the balcony doors were closed. The beds were very comfortable and there were plenty of soaps, shampoos etc to use in the power shower.

We opted for the second sitting in the huge dining room and initially were quite taken aback by the sheer number of people wandering around with plates but a quick explanation from the smiling restaurant manager soon had us feeling at ease as we hoovered our way through a vast selection of magnificently fresh, good quality, tasty food. Each night had a theme and we were able to try a wide variety of different foods without fear of ordering something we didn't like. The breakfast bar stood out as simply outstanding with surely a choice for everyone from fresh cheeses to meats to granola to yoghurt to cooked breakfast, fruits and pastries. Our favourite was the hot chocolate for dipping croissants into. Mmmm mmmm. Strangely, we had little need for lunch!

The final bonus was the evening entertainment. The flamenco dancers and their musicians with the see through violins were a great hit. I am still flabbergasted at the number of costume changes they included to complement their dancing skill.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a four star holiday in the Port D'Alcudia area without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank redpiton
Esperanza_Resort, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Playa Esperanza, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear redpiton,
Thank you so much for your very positive review of our hotel. Although we are sorry to hear about your daughter's ear infection preventing her from enjoying the pools, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
We do aim to provide a wide variety of choice at all mealtimes with something to please everyone and including vegetarian options and plenty of meat and fish choices at the evening meal.
We are pleased to hear you were happy with the facilities, the pools and the quantity of sunloungers available and also with the quality of the evening entertainment.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the Playa Esperanza in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2017

We stayed half board for week in May. After leaving our home a 0330 for a 0600 flight we arrived at the hotel at 1200 only to be told that our room would not be ready until 1400 - the 'official' earliest check-in time: so two hours of just hanging around. The staff that we encountered were always very friendly and eager to help.
The hotel is quite large, modern style and very clean - it may just have been redecorated - and the grounds are massive: the hotel, a building of suites and one of apartments, all owned by the same hotel chain, share the same site. Loungers are scattered all over the hotel grounds and there was never an trouble finding a lounger, parasol or shady trees - even the pool areas were never particulary busy.
Meals are very good with a wide range of good quality food for both breakfast and dinner. Breakfast is 0800 to 1030 and there are two sittings for dinner: 1800-1930 and 2000-2130; we were given a choice and chose the latter. If you arrive after the initial 15 minute stampede when the dining room doors first open then the atmosphere in the dining room is quite relaxed. Be aware that on your first visit for dinner you will have to queue to be allocated a table at which to sit for the duration of your stay: no one told us about this and we just sat at a vacant table, only to be confronted by two very surprised, but very courteous Dutch guests who explained that we were sitting at their table. Drinks are not cheap but measures of wines and spirits can be quite large. Rooms were a good size, bright and airy and cleaned daily, with a daily change of towels and linen too. The on-site wellness centre and spa is worth a visit - a range of facilities and treatments and reasonable value for money. There is direct access to Playa de Muro beach from the hotel grounds. There are a range of cafes, bars and resturants within easy walking distance of the hotel and buses to either Ca'n Picafort or Alcudia stop outside the hotel and cost about 1.55 Euros per person each way. Evening entertainment was varied and standards were generally high.
Overall a very nice hotel and one which we'd be happy to visit again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JRPWashington_UK

Dear JRPWashington,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of the hotel Playa Esperanza. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities provided.
Check-in time in high season is at 2 p.m. in order to allow time to clean the rooms that have been checked out of at 12 noon, we understand that you had been travelling for quite some time but hopefully the wait was comfortable.
We are glad you enjoyed the food available at the hotel, we aim to provide high quality dishes at all meals with plenty of choice to please even the most discerning palates.
We are pleased to hear that you were able to discover the local area too with Port of Alcudia and Can Picafort not far away.
Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Generally a very nice hotel.
Facilities - good and as advertised. Clean and pleasant decor.
However - as a 4 star hotel I feel it does not have the usual level of staff friendliness, customer service etc you'd expect. Also, for english speaking guests be aware it is German run and that seems to be main language spoken.
I arrived at exactly 9-30pm - the official finishing time for dinner, although there was still hot food out and lots of guests eating. I was very tired and just wanted a quick bite and to go to bed. However, I was told I was not allowed and must wait till 10pm when a cold dinner (salad) is provided for late guests.
No facilities for hot drinks in room. Kettle hire is €12/week, but note this is just for a kettle which is dumped on you on check in. They will not help you out with cups, tea coffee etc.
I found some staff to be abrupt and unfriendly, unhelpful. E.g I went to take my bike back to my room (I had not been told this is not allowed and there are no signs etc) and two reception staff simultaneously shouted at me across the busy reception area. Then I was given snappy directions to the bike tent, which I didn't know about, but not told I needed a key, so had to return once I'd found it.
I tried to enter the spa at 7-40pm, and the attendant told me it closed in 5 minutes. I replied that I thought it was at 8, as in the info. She let me in eventually but was quite rude about it and turned off all the lights at 7-58pm when I was still changing.
It seems that some guests are generally lacking in manners too - e.g I had a lift door closed in my face, and was snarled at when I failed to speak German (I cannot). A large naked man barged into the spa shower by the sauna when I was clearly just on my way into it, and proceeded to occupy it for an expended period of time.
Further I was given wrong info by staff on 2 occasions (about local services).
I tried to enquire about booking trips and excursions but the staff member was so unhelpful and unfriendly that I gave up and did my own organisation.
Tried a yoga class on a rainy day, and it was in a tiny freezing outdoor hut and was the worst yoga session I've ever been to.
Apart from all that the hotel has great facilities and location. Also the food is generally good.

Room Tip: I had partial sea view which was ok. I would avoid the road side of hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Jade2626

Dear Jade,
We thank you for your comments and are happy to hear that you were pleased with the hotel facilities, food and location.
We are surprised to hear that you found some of our staff were apparently unhelpful or unfriendly as the majority of our guests always give very positive feedback and we pride ourselves on providing great service with a smile. If you had any negative experience, then please accept our sincere apologies and our assurance that it is definitely not a common occurrence.
With regards to your time of arrival, unfortunately we cannot allow anyone to enter the dining room after 9,30 pm as we then clear away, however, as you stated we do offer a cold dinner for guests that arrive later than the scheduled dinner times.
We do hope that the little issues you had will not influence a future decision to return to the hotel as we would be very pleased to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Stayed at this hotel many times and would do so again. Food choice and quality were fantastic. Rooms cleaned every day with new linen and bed sheets. Atmosphere and ambiance excellent. Certainly would have no hesitation in going there many times over. Transport along the North Coast was every half hour with good bus service to Palma.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
1  Thank Peter T

Dear Peter,
Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. We are proud to provide excellent service and facilities and we are delighted to hear that you are one of our loyal guests and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Amazing hotel to stay with family. Stayed there for 7 days in the end of October.
We stayed in a room with sideview of the ocean, simply amazing! The room had a good size for two adults, one crib and our luggage. It was very good cleaned every day. All the staff were extremely friendly and nice, from housekeepers to restaurant employees. The hotel does not offer all inclusive, so you have to go out for lunch. The hotel has other restaurants that are opened for lunch, but you can also find some good options nearby the hotel. In the hotel the food was delicious, great variety of dishes, always very tasty and fresh. Drinks are not included.
Every night there was some mini disco for the kids, which they loved. The staff was very cheerful and creative, they spoke in Spanish, English and German. During the day kids can have some fun in the playground. Just take repellent with you or the moskitos will eat you alive!
During the day you can enjoy the pools or the beach. In the end of October the water was a little bit cold, but we could still enjoy it when it was not too much windy. Be aware that the sun chairs and umbrellas on the beach do not belong to the hotel! You have to pay around 5 Euros each per day.
All in all it is a wonderful hotel, definitely would love to stay there again!

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank Janaina B
Esperanza_Resort, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Playa Esperanza, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

Dear Janaina,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and were satisfied with all the facilities on offer.
We are very proud of the food served at our buffet restaurant and always aim to please even the most demanding diners with plenty of choice with salads, meat, fish and vegetarian dishes and delicious desserts to tempt everyone.
We really appreciate your positive comments regarding the hotel facilities and the staff and we very much look forward to welcoming you once again to the Playa Esperanza in the near future.