“Like in winter - will love in Summer!”

Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We were invited to afternoon tea by another couple. Set in idyllic surroundings, and bear in mind the hotel was undergoing refurb works. Service was excellent and the sandwiches and cakes were plentiful. Only one negative.. signage to the loos required!

We were welcomed by a gentleman who was either manager or owner. He took time to give us a history of the place and surroundings. The reception lady was well informed and polite. We studied the tariff for Sunday lunch which was very reasonably priced. We will be testing it out shortly and looking forward to having a coffee on the patio overlooking the scenic gardens. This place has masses of potential. Looking forward to visiting when the warmer weather arrives!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank boot_the_poet
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your review on TA. It was a pleasure to meet you and go through some of the history of the building / hotel. I will take on board your comments re loo signage and I will look into that. I have passed on your comments to the team, much appreciated thank you and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Just spent 2 nights at Hackness Grange celebrating New Year with 3 other couples. Had a fantastic time. Cannot think of anything negative at all. The staff are so helpful and friendly, especially Malcolm. The food was amazing. The rooms were warm and cozy. I would definitely recommend it without any hesitation.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank JOF061160

Many thanks for your kind review and I am so happy to read that you all enjoyed your stay. Malcolm and the team put a lot of effort in to make guests stays just right, so receiving a review on TA is much appreciated. I have passed on your kind words.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We booked this break for Christmas 2017 back in the summer and were close to cancelling it just a few days before going due to family death, I’m so glad we didn’t as they were fantastic, Roger, Malcolm and the staff were exceptionally kind and attentive, they were very short handed but worked like trojans the entire festive season, the hotel is lovely, in beautiful countryside, the food was plentiful and good, the atmosphere was warm and friendly, we would have preferred to have been in the main house not the courtyard but rooms adequate . Above all the staff made our difficult Christmas more than bearable and better than expected under the circumstances than we’d hoped for,

Stayed: December 2017
2  Thank Maggie21452

Many thanks for your review and your kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you all and I am so happy that you did enjoy yourselves during your stay with us, despite the difficult circumstances. I have passed on your kind words to the team and I hope that we will get to meet you all again.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We recently attended a wedding here which I must point out was brilliant. But we had booked dale suite 8 months prior to the wedding but on the wedding day evening when we checked in we was told we couldn’t have it and would have to have a courtyard room which was away from the main building and freezing cold and we had 2 small children and a 4 month old baby. So trying to get the children ready for bed one of little girls says what’s this on the shelf near her bed when I looked it was a little white tablet she had picked up which I wasn’t happy about so clearly more attention needs to be taken by the cleaning team. So next morning while trying to check out and explain what had been found the 2 men on reception were not interested all they was bothered about was trying to charge us more money for having a poorer room than we was supposed to have. So all in all the wedding was great but I wished we had never booked a room specially when it wasn’t even the room we had booked 8 months previous.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank foresty21

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was happy to read that the wedding itself was great, but can only but apologise for the way you were treated in connection with your room. I have looked into this matter and clearly the then management handled the situation poorly, for which I apologise for. The situation should have been handled differently by the team to ensure that you were given the room that quite rightly you had booked in advance or in those circumstances that when a pre-booked room is not available for whatever reason that the alternative room is at least comparable if not better than the one booked. I have discussed this review in depth with the new management team to ensure that the points you raised are not repeated.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

The best thing about this spotless hotel was the wonderful staff. From start to finish we were treated in the most professional and friendly manner. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the food was very good. There were lovely cards and gifts for the ladies in our rooms and also presents for all on Christmas day. A very nice touch. The decorations were extremely tasteful. Thankyou to the wonderful Malcolm who greeted us on arrival and also found time to say Goodbye. Cem and Margaret also deserve a mention for their high work rate, also with a smile. A superb Christmas. Roger, the owner kept a fairly low profile but I did spot him in chef 's gear on Christmas day. He must be very proud of his hotel. Sorry, I forgot to mention the carol singers on Christmas Eve. First class.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Fran22ww
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Hi, many thanks for your review. Malcolm and the team worked very hard, and as you spotted, I was in the kitchen too giving help to the team! I have passed on your kind words to the team, which they appreciated very much. Malcolm has taken up his new promotion full of gusto and I am sure with his leadership he will help take the hotel forward. Many thanks once again for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
4.2 km away
23.5 km away
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 19 in Whitby

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!