“How do they work out star ratings?”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I do not understand how they work out star ratings. This hotel was in poor repair but still very expensive. I compared it to the RDCC in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and couldn't understand why it had been given 3 stars! If it is done on facilities, the RDCC has 2 pools and this has only 1, the RDCC has 3 restaurants and this hotel has 1. The RDCC has a spa and this one has none. The RDCC has prettier grounds and better rooms. If you go on quality - this hotel is in very bad repair in places and yet the RDCC is continuously being improved! Oh and the RDCC is a fraction of the cost and yet they both have the same star rating. I really didn't get it at all.

I was shocked at how much of the hotel was in bad repair - everywhere you went there were broken chairs and sun lounges. My husband bought this up with the deputy manager and he said that the hotel was under new management, they were aware of the situation and did intend sorting it out in the coming months. I thought this was fair enough but would now be very interested to know if anything has changed at all because I notice from the latest reviews that the phone system that was under going maintenance the whole time we were there (which was back in February) still appears to be broken! Please be aware too that the bathrooms are death traps as the water cascades off the sides of the bath on to the bathroom floor and even out into the hallway. Management said they were aware of this but as we pointed out there should be warning signs especially for old people and that not everyone reads tripadvisor in advance!

As already stated there is only one place to eat and although I am used to AI being a bit samey - I was definitely bored with the choices here. They also charge extra for a la carte (whereas at RDCC it is included - sorry this isn't a plug for RDCC but I was just intreseted in the comparison where stars are concerned.)

The dive centre is just a little shack on the property - the organisation was somewhat chaotic at times and they often use old fishing boats without ladders etc. On one occasion the boat they used hadn't even been cleaned out and stuck of raw fish which had our instructor, Sian heaving!

The dive centre did do a beach clean at the end of the holiday which I highly approved of. Guests were invited to give up an hour to clean the beach for the nesting turtles. I was shocked that depsite the fact this is a working beach it was the area by the hotel wall which was the dirtiest. How can people sit there enjoying the view and then flick cigarette butts and paper cups over the wall - please think!

That said it wasn't all bad - I loved the location right on the beach. It's great to watch the comical pelicans dive bombing for fish. The pool and jucuzzi were lovely. We made a few friends there and everyone seemed very friendly. Please be warned though the guests are predominantly old age pensioners - we didn't mind in the slightest but I am so glad we didn't take our teenage daughter with us!

The island is amazing and I would throughly recommend going out with Peter Cox on his tropical rain forest trip. What that man doesn't know about the flora and fauna of Tobago isn't worth knowing. We also enjoyed the Caribbean Getaway and the Atlantic Safari (which takes you to Little Tobago where David Attenbourgh's Trials of Life was filmed) - there we got to see a Red Billed Tropic nest with a young chick in it. If you get the chance go on the Virgin trip to The Grenadines. It was very expensive and a long day but we had a great day sailing around The Grenadines which are breath takingly beautiful. The private jet that takes you there is a lot of fun too.

Would I recommend Tobago - yes definitely. Would I recommend The Turtle Beach well only if that is all you can afford and you go with a very open mind!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ingrid P
There are newer reviews for Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Reviewed 9 August 2010

Upon entering the hotel we were warmly greeted by the staff. They had drinks available to use as well as a clean peppermint scented hand towel to clean up. That was wonderful until we found out... *The hotel was NOT in Scarborough. It was in Courland Bay. *It was away from anything near Scarbourough and Crown Point which is where all the interesting places are. We paid through the nose for a cab from the airport. *The beach was murky and the waves were crazy. *We were bored and had it not been for the pool we would not have had anything to do. *Dinner was expensive at the only restaurant there with the same menu of about 16 or so items to choose from. *Three of the dishes on the menu with chicken was not available because they didn't have chicken. Who does not have chicken at a restaurant?!!!! *There were only about 8 channels on the tv and one of them was in Spanish so we really had 7 channels to choose from. *We had no phones in our room because they were doing maintenance on the phone system. We had to take a long walk to the front desk anytime we needed to talk to someone which was really annoying!!! *Our safe was broken and they were clear on the fact that they were not going to fix it. *The room was clean but not updated at all. I would never recommend or return to this place again. I can't believe the incorrect advertisement of this place on its location which is really wrong. I can't understand why people are saying they would recommend this place. Why would you do this to someone?

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Where do I begin? Let me begin with being honest. Honestly, I dont want to ruin anyone's eagerness to go or any memorable stay(s). My girlfriend and me were impressed that we were given hot hand towels upon arriving along with being greeted with a warm smile in the lobby. That "staged" warm smile soon diminished after we were given complimentary drinks.
You would think that since this hotel was located on the island's capital of Scarborough, that it would be more attractive. Here is the ticker: IT IS NOT LOCATED IN SCARBOROUGH AS ADVERTISED. Scarborough is actually 15 minutes away. If you take the ferry or plane from Trinidad, you'll have to pay at least $80 TT for taxi service to get to the hotel. That being said, the hotel is actually located in a small town called Courland which offers NOTHING! No local stores, restuarants, activities, shopping...NOTHING! The nearest place to eat is 20 minutes away...so the front desk claims. The front desk people seem bothered when you ask questions or have concerns. In terms of eating, you have no choice but to eat at their restaurant located on this resort. The food is okay but for 3 days in a row on our four day stay, they did not have 3 items advertised in the menu. The beach was completely murky and had a gloomy look to it. The rooms need an upgrade and not much to do on resort besides swim in a decent pool. The pool was the highlight of our stay. The very first thing that was offered to me once we arrived was marijuana from one of the locals. It is a good thing we revived our week long stay in Tobago by going to Store Bay located in southern Tobago. Don't let the pictures on the Rex Turtle website fool you. I would not recommend this place to an evil mother-in-law.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mirak76
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Had the best time here the staff were lovely. Security guys were lovely. Receptionist were helpful. Felt well looked well after here would so come back here was so gutted to come home. Had the best holiday ever. Met some really nice people here who will be friends for life. The food was average but all resturant staff were pleasant. Pool area lovely and its right on the beach. I would so come back here I loved it loved it loved it!!!! Lisa and Carly London England

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank PebblesandBambam_10
Reviewed 30 July 2010

If you want a beachside location where you can chill out to Tobagan time, with spacious simply equipped rooms that all face onto the sea then you cannot go wrong. This is a traditional Caribbean hotel with all of the charm that you would expect.

The food is excellent, my three sons (18.21 & 22) never complained about the choices available.

Without exception, the staff, including 24hr security, are very friendly and extremely helpful. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

There were plenty of sockets in the three rooms we had to charge our iphones, ipods, cameras etc etc

Speak to Rueben of Tour Tobago to arrange your trips. we went on a day trip up the coast and finished off with an excellent beach party at No Mans Land.

You may get hassled by sellers on the beach but a polite "No thank you" is all that is needed.

If you want glass, marble and glamour then this hotel is maybe not for you but we will certainly be returning to this hotel for more Tobagan hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Hepcity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
10.0 km away
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
1.7 km away
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!