Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
US$134
US$150
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Mount Irvine Bay Resort(Mount Irvine)(Great Value!)
US$116
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$185/night.

Blue Haven Hotel(Bacolet Bay)
US$145
  • Pool
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort(Lowlands)(Great Value!)
US$333
US$248
US$312
US$201
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$232/night.

TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
1,339 results
All reviewsleatherback turtlesturtle watchpeter coxfishswim up barboat triprum punchgreat holidaylay her eggsnylon poola ground floor roomsunday schoolmeal timesthree startunakids poolnightly entertainment
Reviewed 6 February 2007

This hotel has such a superb location, but it definitely needs upgrading. Where do I begin...
I guess if the hotel staff's attitude was a little warmer and more accomodating, I could have overlook the badly needed upgrades and renovations for the hotel rooms. It looked like I took a time travel back to the 60's, and no maintence were done since then. Don't bother about the All Inclusive plans. You are better off going to the town to get some "fresh" food with flavor. And the drinks were all watered down. Not to mention the snares you got when you order more than 1 drink at the bars. My husband and I ordered some drinks for my parents while waiting in the lobby area one evening for some of my family members (who were also guest of the hotel). After getting the drinks, my husband was approached by the manager on duty that evening with a reciept requesting us to pay for the drinks we had order at the bar. He stated that the drinks were only for all guest staying at the hotel. My husband had to explain himself to the "manager' stating that he and all our family members (15 total) were "all inclusive" guest staying at the hotel. The manager then smiled and walked away. Not only was the staff unfriendly, they were downrite RUDE!. I am returning to Tobago in April 2007, however I will not be staying at this hotel.

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank smorenozzm
Reviewed 22 January 2007

Looking at some of the views posted on this hotel I find it hard to believe I went to the same hotel, perhaps I am just unlucky, or perhaps it wasn't Tobago I went to after all !!

On arrival at the hotel we faced our first problem, they didn't have any record of my daughter. Therefore our 'upgraded room' had to be changed due to the fact that 5 year olds and balconies do not go well together. We therefore lost our larger room and inherited a smaller one with damp, a bath that looked like it hadn't been changed since the 60's, furniture out of a car boot sale and an army of ants that seemed to take particular pleasure in sharing the bath at the same time as my daughter. Hot water on only two days throughout the two week holiday. On the plus side the beachfront view was fantastic and as many other reviewers have said, listening to the sound of the sea when you go to bed and wake up in the morning was fantastic.

TIP: Don't pay in the UK for an upgrade, we paid £44 per night for a fridge and a TV that only had five channels from Alabama on it. Insult was added to injury when we found out that most of the non-superior rooms were equipped with this stuff anyway.

The food is adequate bordering on the nice if you like hot and curried food. There are however alternative menus, not including the a La Carte, which we were kept in the dark about until two days before we were due to go home. The first is a children's menu, so if your child doesn't like the Goat Tikka Masalla with added Phal they can have chicken nuggets and chips, pasta, fish fingers etc. The second menu is an alternative adults menu.
Neither of these menus are advertised and the waitresses get very up tight when you ask to see the menus. I'm not sure whether it's the fact that they will get verbal from the chefs for asking for something 'off-menu' or whether it's the additional walk to the kitchen that is too much like hard work. You can hav food from both of these menus without additional charge.

Probably the worst aspect about the whole holiday was the attitudes of the vast majority of the staff members. There are a few exceptions that I would like to make, Joel at reception, the lady guest relations manager, the guy at the pool bar with the moustache and the Hotel Manager.

We had heard that the problem had been on-going for sometime but was surprised at the extent. There seemed to be two areas where the problems were worse, reception and the restaurant. If you got more than a 'grunt' from staff at either of these locations you were lucky. In most cases they were downright rude. We complained to the Hotel Manager but all he could say is that it was a recognised problem and he was doing all he could.

We had heard that the staff were the lowest paid on the island and as such were overworked and had an attitude problem. THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MY PROBLEM HOWEVER HAVING SHELLED OUT NEARLY 4000 POUNDS FOR A HOLIDAY.

Did all this spoil my holiday overall?

Believe it or not No, the location was stunning, the pool and surrounding areas were clean and the guys in the beach hut very funny. Helping the fisherman bring in the nets was a highlight and the arrival of a nesting turtle on my wife's 40th birthday capped off a good day for her. The Tobagans outside the hotel were very friendly and Sunday School is worth a visit if you want to get into the swing of things with the locals. Added to that we met some fantastic people whom I hope we will keep in touch with.

Would I go back?

To the island yes, to this hotel probably not, unless of course the rooms are demolished and rebuilt and the there is a complete change of staff (with exception of those noted above) and/or attitudes to customer service. Could do better for the money charged

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank KentAllstars
Reviewed 19 January 2007

Myself (Jon) & Alli had a terrific time on the paradise island of Tobago for 2 weeks in July 2006, Turtle Beach was excellent, the rooms were basic but clean and is all you need unless you want red carpet treatment.....if you do then go to a 5 star hotel!!
Breakfast, Lunch and dinner in the restaurant was in my opinion of a very high standard and I did put a few pounds on during our stay.......The pool is huge and great for kids as it is not too deep. of course the bar is right next to the pool which is even better for the grown ups!!
The staff are friendly throughout the hotel and are very helpful.

Turtle Beach Hotel is in a beautiful setting on the beach and boasts the most stunning sunsets.
We met some fab people staying at the hotel, everyone was so friendly and quite alot of us went on day trips together......the more the merrier!

Take an island tour with Barry or get him to take you on a boat trip and do a bit of Tuna fishing......then cook your catch on a beach barbecue up the coast.......excellent days out with Barry are guaranteed.
Ask scout for a go on the banana boat.........you may have to pump it up yourself though....I did!!!

Reuben will do some lovely carvings for you and you can get lots of other gifts from the other beach vendors who are mostly a friendly bunch.

I hope this review helps anyone going to Turtle Beach.........relax and have fun.
Going all inclusive is a very good deal.

Make sure you get a call from reception at night so you can go and watch the baby turtles heading for the ocean. (Quite a moving experience)

Stayed: July 2006
16  Thank Jonny.UK
Reviewed 16 January 2007

My husband and I went with our best buddies to Turtle Beach and celebrated New Year 2006 there, staying through until 12th Jan 2007. What can I say - if you want a hotel right on the beach with a superb (if very shallow but good for kids!) clean pool with a swim-up bar, then this is the place for you. Our friends had visited in 1999 and were given a Superior room - ours was booked for a Standard, but after a little good-humoured haggling, we too were upgraded! As far as I could see, the difference between the rooms were a free TV, a larger room and a stocked-once-a-week-if-you-asked fridge containing beer, soft drinks and water. Let's face it, it wasn't essential when you were all-inclusive. I think all the rooms were sea-facing, and what a view that was. You could hear the sea and that was all......! During our stay we booked 2 trips - both customised to our own requests by our tour Rep. The first was an island tour,
incorporating a trip (negotiate with the guide-we paid 100 TTD p.p.) into the Rainforest - take socks because you have to wear wellies (and mozzie spray-my husband was bitten +++ ++ throughout our stay-bought some anti-histamine cream from the Drug Store in Scarborough,Tobago), we also visited the Argyle waterfall and swam in the pool at the bottom (30 TTD p.p.) - the hotel will provide you with a packed lunch in a coolbox if you request one the night before your trip. We also chartered a yacht which took us into the Caribbean sea (just the 4 of us) - snorkling, lunch, drinks etc - well worth the trip! Back to the hotel - most staff were lovely and more than helpful. You can have a safety deposit box which is free of charge and reception staff have a master key also so it is double-locked. The poolside bar can be a bit sparse with bar staff and the lower swim-up bar isn't staffed - but, hey, it is the Caribbean. The reception staff will give you cards for beach towels and you give them to the Singing Rasta at the Watersports hut on the beach in exchange for lovely thick beach towels daily - the chap never, I mean never stops singing - he's fab! The rooms have a hairdryer so you don't neeed one, but don't have tea/coffee making facilities in the room, so take a travel kettle and tea etc. if you want to make your own. Hot water every day for showers, clean towels daily and your beds made - what more do you want? Yes the rooms are a bit dated and it isn't the most up-market place I have ever been, but it is only 3 * . The food is lovely (if sometimes not as hot as I would have liked) and varied (apart from breakfast) and the chefs and waiting staff do a damn fine job. The beach is not the best beach on the Caribbean, but you can hire a taxi from just outside the hotel and they will take you to Pigeon Point (18 TTD admission) and you can go on a glass-bottomed boat for 100 TTD and see the beautiful Coral Gardens, snorkel on the Bucco reef (strong currents) and take off 10 years by swimming in theNylon Pool. All in all, we had a delightful stay for the money we paid - the only downside was the 3.5 hours delay after boarding the plane (on top of the 7.5 hr journey) due to slow checking-in and faulty runway lights! Don't be put off, it was great!

Stayed: December 2006
11  Thank Gerrymouse
Reviewed 15 January 2007

My girlfriend and I spent two nights at Turtle beach - we arrived shortly after 3 (the designated check in time) and were warmly greeted with a rum punch - however an hour and a half later and we were still waiting on our room. After an eternity we were finally handed the keys and pointed the way to our room - no trolley or porter to be seen we set off on the long walk. The room was a decent size, but a bit basic and a dated decor however it was well situated with a fantastic view of the beach.
After a quick visit to the beach (definetly the highlight of the place) we returned to the room and upon inspection of the bed found that the sheets did not seem fresh and indeed there were numerous hairs (of colours different to ours) in the sheets. Took the long walk to the reception where the "helpful" person on duty dialed housekeeping and handed the phone to me to talk to them. Agreed to meet housekeeping back at the room - 20 minutes later I answered the knock on the door to encounter one Josephine who announced that she was the head of housekeeping and that she had issued the sheets for my room. Rather than apologise for the state of the sheets she basically accused me of lying and demanded that I show her the sheets. "Fortunately" the hairs were there for even the doubting Josephine to see though she was indignant when I requested that the entire bed linen be changed as she "thought I only complained about the sheets". About 40 minutes later our fresh sheets, and you could not only see but smell the difference. We concluded that the maid who was assigned to clean our room on arrival decided to save time and just make the bed instead of changing the sheets.
One other bit of advice, good luck getting a beach towel - we tried on no less than 5 occassions and are still waiting to get one. It seems that several guests get the towels and use them to reserve beach loungers with the result being that on any given occasion there are more towels tanning in the sun than guests.
This hotel has tremendous potential but could do with a good refurbishing and is crying out for better service.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple