“A magical place that never fails to deliver”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 16 August 2017

This September will be our 4th stay in 15 months and 18th time since we came here on our honeymoon in 1986. Our grown up kids (25,23 and 20 year olds) will be returning with us to help us celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary and they have all been coming here since they were babies.

So why do we keep coming back?

The hotel is on a mile stretch of deserted beach. All rooms are sea facing and the hotel has a lagoon style pool which is 3.5 feet deep and there is also a kids pool. Rooms are basic but clean and the variety and quality of food and drink were excellent, an opinion shared by all our fellow guests.

During our stay in June we saw 10-15 leatherback turtles nesting. They lay between 4-8 clutches of between 60-100 fertile eggs at intervals of between 6-13 days which hatch at approx 60 days. The average turtle size is approximately 5 foot long and 4 foot wide and each nesting takes around 1.5 hours.

The local fisherman pull in the seine (nets) about 5 times a week by the hotel. You are welcome to join in and apart from their normal catch, I saw a manta ray, puffer fish, pilot fish and a green turtle all being returned to the sea.

The island is 25 miles long and 6 miles wide and I always hire a car for a few days to travel around the island. When we do an island trip we like to go to Fort King George overlooking Scarborough where there is a small museum, lighthouse and some remains of a old English garrison. We then head up the Atlantic coast until we reach Speyside and have lunch at Gemma's tree house restaurant set on the beach looking out towards little Tobago. After this we head to Charlotteville (where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean) and down the Caribbean coast stopping at some of the beautiful bays along the way. On this part of the trip you will see the oldest environmentaly protected rainforest (nearly 250 yrs) which traverses approx. two-thirds of the length of the island.
We also go to Buccoo Reef and the Nylon pool for a few hours and the Adventure Farm which is a few miles from the hotel and you can watch the birds being fed, the hummingbirds drinking from the sugar water dispensers and the lovely gardens.

We went on a fishing trip with the kids last September from the beach at the hotel.We have previously seen dolphins and manta rays and also on many occasions disturbed shoals of flying fish causing them to erupt from the sea. When the kids were younger they would bring their catch back to the hotel for the chef to cook for their tea.

One of my sons and I play golf (me terribly) and we go to Mount Irvine, one of the 2 courses on the island to play. We hire the clubs and a buggy and just bring our own golf balls but you can buy them there if required.

Some tips.... take too much sun tan lotion as my wife and I miscalculated in June and it was not straight forward to get some!!
My wife brings her own hairdryer.
Bring plenty of books.
Beach towels at reception.
Sandwiches and cakes at 4 by the bar.
Don't bother with US$. I take some TT$ and then I will either change at the hotel if I need some but otherwise will stop at a cashpoint. Some people accept sterling for trips.

Over the years more people from Trinidad stay at the hotel and we enjoy their warmth and friendliness and have made many new friends. The staff at the hotel are great and many have been there for 15-20 years. They along with the manager, Leslie Amedee demonstrate professionalism, warmth and desire to ensure all his guests have a wonderful holiday which Is very apparent by the amount of repeat guests.

Ambrose and Sue O'Sullivan

Room Tip: Bear in mind that rooms are spaced along the beach with some rooms 150 metres from the reception.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
11  Thank James O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Just came back from an awesome vacation at turtle beach hotel as a repeater of this hotel can't seem to stay anywhere else. Esther Moore from reservations is such a warm, kind and helpful employee, all other staff members very warm and friendly. Enjoyed the food! Full buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner with afternoon tea most times could not make the afternoon tea as you are so full from lunch, nightly entertainment so you cannot be bored.my family and I always look forward to staying at this resort and we would continue to do so!!! Great job guys and keep up the good work.

The Corbett's.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Tobagolover424
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Celebrated our Anniversary here...the place is clean, quiet and comfortable. It's a relatively inexpensive all-inclusive resort for a quick getaway. The food and drinks are adequate and there is some classy night entertainment for those who wish to stay up late. We missed the turtle nesting that night but managed to get a picture where she laid her eggs, the morning after...maybe next time i'll get lucky.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Dr. Varma R
Reviewed 4 August 2017

My family and I have stayed at this hotel at least 5 times now and it keeps decreasing in standard each time we go. All our special requests made at booking were met which made us happy at check-in. Tessa is amazing, and really the only front-desk rep that is friendly, warm and helpful. We encountered at least 2 others that were grumpy and unwilling to assist, really quite a turn-off. There are no staff to assist with luggage, so be prepared to drag your suitcases down a long corridor and up a few flights of stairs based on the location of your room.
Our rooms were spacious and adequate, but were too far from the lobby and pool area. The AC in our room gave quite a bit of trouble but the maintenance guy (Loel) always managed to sort it out. They offered us a new room but we were hesitant to move since we had a small baby with us and were already settled comfortably in the current room. Room cleaning was pretty efficient, however I must mention that the room is mopped very wet and takes awfully long to dry. My son fell on the wet floor one day, a good time after it was mopped. WiFi was pretty non-existent in the rooms, and very limited even in public areas.
The pool and beach are amazing, our kids spent most of the time there. The pool bar needs more staff, especially in busy times. Food was average, nothing exciting. More variety is needed. The restaurant area is dreary and dark, and could use some more fans that actually give breeze! Most days we had to get our lunch and dinner drinks ourselves from the bar since the drinks would reach us long after we had finished eating. We asked for ice cream after dinner on more than 1 occasion, but it was only available once. In this hot climate, ice cream should be a standard at both lunch and dinner. The desserts should also be labelled, most times we would have to ask if it contained alcohol or gelatin. Afternoon tea was pretty limited and in our experience was not replenished after 4.30pm, even though it was advertised as being between 4 and 5pm. Get there early if you want a snack before dinnertime.
In conclusion, it's highly unlikely we will visit again unless this hotel undergoes a major transformation. We are thankful to staff members like Tessa, Loel, Eva, Samaroo (manager) and Atiba for making our vacation pleasant. We really love it here and hope something is done to boost this place to its full potential.

Room Tip: Standard rooms closer to lobby if you don't want to walk too far.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Rizi
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Our room was facing the beach and I loved that I could have just walked out straight to the beach. The beach was amazing, even though it was not the cleanest sand, the water was not cold and it was calm so you could have just relaxed in the water and not worry about fighting off waves. My kids enjoyed it. We never got a chance to bathe in the adult pool as they were doing renovations for one day. We were too busy using the beach. But the pool looked amazing I wish I took a dip. There was a kids pool which was not closed and the kinds also enjoyed bathing there.

We had the all inclusive package and the food was good. I liked that they had some of the same options for breakfast and a few different things added everyday. For lunch I was worried that they wouldn't have any Halal or good vegetarian options available but it was included. They can however improve on the vegetarian options some more though. Be more creative! The food was always fresh and the environment was clean which is very important to me.

The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The decor of the hotel was a bid outdated, upgrades should be made to the placement of the electrical outlets as guests will need to use charges and such and it was really inconvenient. They were not strategically placed in the rooms. There was a iron available but no ironing board so if the socket was not close to the bed you will not be able to use it. The pillows were hard and there were only two placed on a bed which were uncomfortable. I had to ask for another pillow. Another thing is that the room should have a carpet by the bed as the tile is cold and sandy.

The bartender need to remember that not everyone drinks alcohol and he should pay attention to how be mixes his drinks in the blender. If someone asks for a non alcoholic drink there should be a separate blender or the blender should be washed thoroughly at least before mixing another drink! Some people were ordering for their kids.

The WIFI was horrible in our room. You had to go outside to get good wifi.

Overall, its a nice resort and I wouldn't mind going back there.

Room Tip: Get a room that is close to reception area as the wifi is better.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Makada J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
10 km away
1.6 km away
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!