“Love it for what it is”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Having spent a fantastic three weeks at Turtle Beach from late November to December 2011 we find it difficult to believe that the authors of many of your reviews stayed at the same hotel! What it is necessary to appreciate is that Turtle Beach is a 3 star establishment and not a 5 star hotel at 3 star prices, which many seem to expect.

The location of the hotel at Courland Bay could not be bettered and lends itself to a totally relaxed and enjoyable stay, but it is not within walking distance to other bars, restaurants and nightlife. The grounds are well maintained and it has the largest swimming pool on the island. Plenty of sun beds around the poolside, in the gardens and on the beach. There are beach vendors but security staff ensure they do not encroach upon the hotel grounds. If on the beach just a friendly no and they will leave you alone.

The rooms are spacious with either a patio or balcony to sit out on should you wish. Wi-fi is accessible from all rooms and free of charge. We had a standard room with a very comfortable bed, bath, shower, room safe, fridge, flat screen TV and tea & coffee making facilities, which not all hotels offer. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard on a daily basis with clean sheets and towels. Okay there were a few bits of chipped paintwork but whose home doesn’t, unless you are rich!

The food is mostly local cuisine, plentiful, well prepared and well cooked. A wide variation is offered at every meal. Lunch and dinner always had fresh salads and soup to start then a range of chicken, fish, meat and vegetarian dishes followed by a couple of different sweets and fresh fruit. As for breakfast we still cannot think of anything that was not on offer. It is however all buffet style, with only drinks being served at your table, so if you want to be waited on hand and foot you should be going elsewhere and paying for the privilege.

We do not want to mention individual staff members by name as there are so many that we would be sure to omit someone, but all were kind, considerate and helpful, whatever their tasks and made us feel particularly welcome throughout our stay. The one person that does deserve the addition of a name is Wesley Jackson, the Assistant Manager. He is at the sharp end of the co-ordination of all the daily tasks and could not do more to strive to ensure that the efficiency of Turtle Beach continues on a steep upgrade. Keep up the good work.

Tobago is part of the Caribbean where people are laid back. You are on holiday, getting away from the hustle and bustle of your everyday life. A great time to be had at a great place and if you treat everyone as you would expect to be treated yourself, they will reciprocate in a friendly Tobagan manner. We are looking forward to another holiday there at our earliest convenience and that time cannot come quick enough.

Room Tip: All rooms are sea facing. Ask for a ground floor room if stairs are a problem as they can be slippe...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank BobandCarol45
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 5 January 2012

First off Turtle Beach is a older hotel, apparently one of the first existing hotels in Tobago. This is evident from the structure and in all honestly can do with some simple repairs or upgrades (paint jobs etc). Besides these factors the hotel is quite comfortable and is clean ! In fact there is a certain rustic charm about the rooms. The bathrooms have been upgraded and each room comes with a good size front balcony/ porch area. The rooms themselves are equipped with large cupboard and storage for guests who stay for longer periods.

It is located about 15 minutes away from the airport but is on its own strip of beach. Each room has a view of the sea and/or pool area. You can walk right out of rooms onto the beach. The beach has a semi-private feel as there were not much other occupants except for a few local fishermen.

Some say that the beach is not safe for bathing, it certainly is not one of the best in Tobago, but we managed to swim in it safely It is particularly calm at mornings. As this hotel is on the Black Rock strip of beach, the sand is dark colored and the water does not appear as blue as other areas in Tobago.

There is a small water sport area and dive center. This was not too impressive and could be equipped with better equipment and staff. There are about 3 or four kayaks and one working paddle boat. This seemed adequate for the number of guest that was there when we stayed.

The hotel provides beach towels and lounge chairs. Chairs were readily available, except near the pool area where they were occupied quickly. The pool area is definitely a highlight of this simple hotel. There is a children pool and Jacuzzi. There is also a swim up bar. The drinks were also part of the all inclusive plan and this too we found was satisfactory.

As we have been to Tobago many times before, we decided to stay on resort for the 4 days that we were there. We therefore took the all inclusive package which was well worth it. In fact the food was one of our favorite things about this holiday. It was excellent ! Tasty and good spread. Soups are fantastic and deserts are different everyday. The menu is a combination of international cuisine but incorporates some local dishes as well.

There is supposed to be nightly entertainment. The steel band group that performed is certainly worth mentioning.

All in all we had a wonderful and relaxing time at Rex Tobago and will cerntainly return. Do hope that mangament keep upgrading and maintaining this facility. I would rate this hotel and faclitties 2.5.

This hotel is most suitable for persons who want a particularly quiet and laid back holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Chazdal
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Shocking!!!! Tobago is lovely...however this Rex resort is such a disappointment!! Many people we spoke to had already moved from the first room they had been given because it was awful...however apparently we were in one of the best rooms and it was ok...(as expected in the Caribbean) however the choice of food was dreadful....some nights I just had a bread roll....I'm not a fussy eater but there was NOTHING that appealed to me out of the vast variety of only 7 dishes available....never known such a lousy selection at an all inclusive resort!!! Evening entertainment leaves a lot to be desired....id prefer to sit & pull my own teeth out!!! Ended up going to bed around 9.30 each night, as no atmosphere at hotel, and beach bar was closed at 8, it would be nice to sit outside at night for a drink!! Atmosphere in restaurant was non existent as mealtimes everyone just looked depressed...probably due to lack of food choice!! Unfriendly staff in restaurant too!! Get the impression that once the hotel has got ur money they don't really want u there!! Most definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Pickledonion74
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Just returned from a 7 night break at Turtle Beach, arrived there on Boxing Day.

When me & my husband booked this New Year break our only request was somewhere to chill completely but as we only decided to do this a week before going choice was very limited as we didn't have £5000 +. I normally spend a good while researching a country before I book a hotel but I didn't do that this time & I would never have booked the Turtle Beach if I had done so due to the reviews on here, but as it was a genuine last minute decision we took pot luck & ended up at Turtle Beach & I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. Having read the reviews after booking I did think 'oh no what have we done' & nearly cancelled but our travel agent hadn't sold it as anything but 3 stars & emphasized it was a small, laid-back & simple. Also, & I think importantly we had only paid 3 star price so we couldn't expect anything else.

Our room was in the last block which is called the 'new wing' & I agree with other reviews that it could do with a refurb as I am not sure how 'new' it is but it was clean & spacious & we were on the 3rd floor so the view was fab. It was cleaned daily & there was flat-screen TV (if you want to watch it but not my thing when I'm trying to get away from it all).

We found staff all except one bar man to be friendly & helpful.

Food was fine. Not a big choice but what there was, was all nice. We stayed all inc. as we really wanted to do as little as possible & food didn't get too boring. Oddly enough bottled water was not in the all inc. package but apparently tap water was safe.

Like everything else the regular evening entertainment was basic but again from a small hotel it was nice enough. There was extra entertainment for New Year's eve & we had a fun night.

We were regularly approached by beach sellers but once we said no thanks they went away no problem. It was extremely quiet at the end of the beach we sat at each day so I expected to get far more hassle but it was fine. The beach itself is golden rather than white but I am not really sure this can be a critisism? Also the fishermen were mentioned negatively in one review but I think this is a matter of opinion as one day I walked along to watch them pulling in their catch & found it to be very interesting.

We walked to the two nearby villages Black Rock & Plymouth, one along the beach & the other along the road & both had mini-markets where we could buy basics. Neither was further than 10 minutes. Shamefully, I have to say that was the extent of our sightseeing as we really could not get ourselves off our sunbeds!!!

I would like to mention our Hayes & Jarvis rep Judith who was just lovely. She greeted at arrivals with a hug as we were the last people through & I do think that is a first from a holiday rep!

Turtle Beach is informal & simple but I have not seen it described as anything else by a tour operator so if you turn up here expecting luxury you have clearly been mis-sold.

If we had been able to afford 4/5 star for this holiday then I would have definitely booked Coco Reef for example, but considering what we paid I have to say the Turtle Beach did the job & I have returned home truely relaxed.

As I have said we didn't see anything of Tobago but we now have an excuse to return & do some proper exploring of this beautiful island, however we will not be staying at the Turtle Beach. I never stay at the same place twice anyway & this was just not nice enough to make me break my rule I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Top floor, 'new wing'. Ensure you have a safe.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LittleExplorerKent
Reviewed 4 January 2012

if your looking for 5 star delux then this is not the Hotel for you.
However- you are not paying for 5 star so I dont know what people are expecting.
After reading the reviews I wanted to cancel, however it was too late so had to still go.
I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Rex over Christmas and New Year:
On the plus side...
Hotel is right on the beach...literally you open your balcony and its there!
This is the only Hotel on the beach and nothing else apart from beautiful scenery for miles...
Very quiet and only the odd local trying to sell you something.
The hotel has a lovery large pool with bar if you dont like sitting on the beach...
Rooms generous in size (some smaller than others so be careful you dont get a small one)
clean...modern bathroom...fridge..coffee maker...flat screne TV...
Read someone moaning about the balcony furniture saying it was old- well its not a 5 star.
Food- for an all inclusive I was impresssed.
Tons of fresh salads and selection..it does get repetative at times but so does every all inclusive.
The staff in the dining area were very friendly and it was all very clean etc

Negative points...

The reception and dining room need brightening up.Not terrible but could do with improving
Ignore comments about plastic dining furniture- thats a load of rubbish... and not true.
Also the entertainment in Hotel is really average so don't rely on it...
The reception staff are also miserable as sin and not the best first impression.

It is a catch situation as its a hotel based resort so if you are looking to party then this isn't the best hotel for you.
If your looking to relax...enjoy the stunning veiws...explore beautiful Tobago.. do some water sports..eat well and have some early nights then you will have a great time

Room Tip: all are on the beach...we had room 125 and 135... for sure I know 124 was smaller.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sam1734
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
10 km away
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
1.7 km away
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!