“Food that Reflects Phuket's History”
Review of Kopitiam by Wilai

Kopitiam by Wilai
Ranked #13 of 952 Restaurants in Phuket Town
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 January 2018

I noted from previous posts remarking that the food is not authentic Thai. The owners in fact are Thai Chinese of Hakka origin that originally ran (and still do) the Chinese medical hall next door. Historically, Phuket has close social and business links to Penang Island and hence it explains the Hokkien signage “kopitiam” meaning coffeshop and also the fact that it serves Chinese-Peranakan influence cuisine alongside its Thai offerings.

The quality of cooking was excellent and the dishes well-presented despite being a casual eatery. My family and I ordered Pad Thai, Seafood Salad with Woonsen, BBQ pork and salted egg with rice and Northern Thai Dip (Nam Prik Ong, I think). As a repeat visitor to Phuket, Wilai is probably in terms of price-quality one of my top choices.

After lunch, we ordered mango sticky rice and some Peranakan cakes (there was kuih talam and something with coconut ice-cream crowning it). Again, it was quite memorable.

Considering the lunch time crowd, the service was fairly prompt but if you feel the wait is rather long, spare a few unhurried minutes to enjoy the vintage photos of Phuket that adorn the walls.

1  Thank TK_Lai

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

Really nice seating outside, good fruit drinks.
The restaurant seem to be famous somehow, you see lot of people taking pictures of it. Very chinese looking like place, I don't know the backstory of it though. Free Wi-Fi, decent dishes with decent prices. There is a break time from 5 pm till 6:30 pm.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

A bit more respect and concern for families with kids will help make this place better. When open tables were available and I was waiting to be seated, the manager/owner chose to ask my family to wait in the hot sun rather than seat us (even if we didn’t mind waiting to place our orders). There were other guests / customers who told us there were tables available or that they were leaving so we could have their tables, but still the manager asked us time leave and come back after an hour!

Neither would I recommend this place nor would I go back.

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

Nice setting but boring food. Bad taste and set up for tourists. Did not eat 10% of the dishes. More Chinese than Thai customers. I guess a Thai would never ever come here. They serve dinner as a single dish.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

The restaurant does not look like it should be this good. But it is. Real value for money with 2 large beers, 2 starters, 2 main and tip for 700 THB. Quality of food was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the wonton salsa and a vegetarian green curry. Very tasty. Also some great discussions on how to cook the food at home. Will go back again before we leave town.