“HORROR HOTEL! Stay away! ”

Secret Cliff Resort
Ranked #109 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I have never written a hotel review before but now I feel compelled to warn others about this hotel, that's how bad it is.
We booked and paid for 8 nights but felt we had to check out after 1 night already! We spent the 2nd day looking for a new hotel and happily paid for it to get out of secret cliff.
Reasons:
- booked superior room with sea view, view was 90% trees and vegetation
- big mosquitos and BIG REPTILES inside the room without us opening the balcony window at all or the door for longer than 10 seconds, we later discovered an opening between the 2 balcony windows which allows bugs and animals to enter the room when closed, pictures attached
- very old and worn out interior, squeaky doors
- no proper lock on door, can easily open door and picklock
- 'villas' were across a super busy and dangerous road which separated rooms and reception/restaurant, this combined with the lack of proper locks did not give us a safe feeling
- the road was also very noisy at all times
- airconditioning leaked heavily and made much noise leaking at night
- no wall sockets in bathroom
- no space to put toiletries in bathroom
- old bathroom and smelly (think it was the toilet)
- rusty stuff on shower head and toilet paper holder
- toilet did not flush properly
- no shower cabin so entire bathroom got wet when showering, including toilet
- rusty and old shower head
- stars were steep and hard to walk on
- pool was old and dirty, broken tiles inside pool which made it dangerous, leaves and bugs inside pool which makes me think it did not get cleaned often
- old sunbeds, nearly rotten, infested with ants
- big holes in the plank floor around pool which could easily make one trip and fall bad
- smaller pool than pictures showed
- breakfast was disgusting. It was served in the open restaurant as a buffet and was infested with flies. My appetite vanished when seeing this and was did not eat anything at all. (staff was friendly in restaurant though)
- sudden 3000 baht deposit on check-in as a pre payment for damaged or dirty room articles?? Did not feel welcome.
- they make you sign a ridiculous set of terms and conditions on check-in, some of them: no ladyboy guests, hotel is allowed to charge anything that is damaged or dirty according to them (such as dirty towels or bed sheets as I read in other reviews??), hotel security can retain your passport as they see fit, and many more ludicrous rules
- there is no beach nearby! Only cliffs
- actually there is nothing nearby so you have to go to Karon or patong Beach to actually do something, which is pretty far and requires taxi or tuktuk. The catch is that it seems like the hotel has an arrangement with taxis as they charge you 300 baht for a 5 minute drive!
- restaurant is way over priced. But there's nothing else around so you don't have any other option than eating there or taking a 300 baht taxi to nearest restaurant
- free hotel shuttle drives from 10.00 till 17.00 so either way you're going to need a taxi if you want to spend time after 17.00 somewhere else than in the hotel

Only positive: the view from the RESTAURANT, not room. Also the staff at the reception and restaurant were ok friendly.
We talked to other guests in the hotel and they experienced about the same things (even the reptile in the room) and also wanted to leave.
Nothing is like the pictures in this hotel!
When checking out they asked me to fill in a form which said I could not claim any compensation whatsoever from the hotel for early checkout. There was also a small blank space where I needed to put the reason for checking out, I needed the entire backside to state all reasons. The form was pre-made which makes me think this happens a lot in the hotel.
I asked the manager if this happens often, and she asked me what the problem was. I told her to look at the backside of the form. She only told me there were no refunds. I said I don't care, it's just so bad. She offered us another room but I did not want to hear it as we already asked the receptionist for a taxi that was waiting for us and we booked a different resort already. Not sure if we had to pay extra for another room, but I should expect so. We entered the taxi and asked for

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JohnW11436

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

When I booked a room in this resort, I mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and that we would arrive at midday. This obviously meant very little! We had to hang around for two hours, offered nothing to fill in our waiting period. Taken to our room, by golf cart, as the majority of rooms are down a steep winding road. The gardens are beautiful and the view from our room magical.
When I checked on line what type of room our deluxe suite should have been, I saw 3 different decor styles and ours was the oldest, the bed was rock hard and the pillows were big and dense and not even a orchid flower happy honeymoon, zilch..
Our first morning we woke up with sore necks and backs. Later on that day after returning from a half day tour, we asked for a pizza from their own Pizza Hut to be delivered to our room. Sixty minutes later when our pizza had not been delivered, my husband rang up to ask where our pizza was.? The language barrier always seemed to be difficult in this hotel, and finally 30 minutes later, our pizza was delivered. We sat out on the balcony with a drink to enjoy our pizza and it was room temperature( not happy, we ate it because we were so hungry). Had to ask twice at reception for a bed topper to be added to our bed , which helped a little. That evening I ordered room service for myself as my husband was not well. Big disappointment- the chips were cold the club sandwich was made by a 4 year old, with thick junky slices of onion and tomato and my banana pancake was only 4 whole bananas with 3 scoops of ice cream. Only ate half a sandwich. Not good enough. I am not one to complain much, but I would have moved to a different hotel, if I wasn't leaving tomorrow.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my friend, and we got an upgrade to junior suite. I really surprised that this room is big with panoramic sea view. However, hotel location isn't close to any convenience stores that wasn't a big deal for me because I was happy to spend time in the hotel.

junior suite has living area, bedding area and bathroom. Everything is convenient and jetted tub is also available.

Breakfast is quite standard same as many hotels where I stayed before. They served Omelette, fried egg, sausage, ham, croissant, juice and etc.

Hotel staffs were helpful, polite, and friendly.

I was so happy to stay at Secret Cliff Resort.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2017

The worst experience ever!

Briefly, I booked this hotel back in June 2017 just one month before our arrival. A deluxe room with the Ocean view was booked, surprisingly, we ended up with trees view, I spoke with the front desk and I’ve been told that there is no empty room is available as per your reservation, it's a shame that I made my reservation one month in advance and the hotel confirmed the same. However, I accepted the room due the long flight and late arrival inaddition we were thinking just to spend the night. Astonishingly I was shocked with unserviceable A/C, I spoke to the front desk again and they sent the technicians whom they took more than half an hour to fix it and eventually they failed, meanwhile the A/C was down, a black mosquitoes were coming from the trees into the room.
I reported this to the front desk and unfortunately the staff was so rude as if the room was giving for free, I talked to the manager and she was trying to keep me just for that night (even without the functionality of the A/C) which seems to be a joke I came to this hotel to Relax rather than complains, I absolutely got no support what so ever. I regret every penny I paid and the time I spent from the airport up the hotel.
First experiences ever to check in and out in less than 2 hours.
- Rude staff;
- Bad management (no hospitality);
- Room odor was so just a disaster;
- Pictures provided by the hotel are just a fake and completely different than
the reality;
- Lots of mosquitoes and lizard;
- Not recommended for family not even couples, can be for solo.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mohammed F
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Location
I stayed here for 2 nights. It's quite isolate from the town/community, but not too far from Patong beach (4 km. from Jungceylon department store). It has another Secret Cliff Village opposite from Secret Cliff Resort & Restaurant. The one I stayed is on the hill side, so you can see the sea view here.

Area
The resort is on the hill and no any store near it. But the resort has its restaurant which open till 11.00PM. Food and beverage has high cost. You may buy the food or snack from a department store or minimart at another location.

Room with breakfast
Their rooms are downside to the sea and they will bring you by the shuttle bus. I got a room without a bathtub (my husband needs it), so I asked the staff to change a room. The staff is so friendly and professional. They gave us a new room (no.118) with very nice view and a bathtub. We were so appreciated through a new room has slightly dust.

Staff
Very friendly, professional and nice service. They can speak English.

Room Tip: Room no.118-122 are great.