I have never written a hotel review before but now I feel compelled to warn others about this hotel, that's how bad it is.
We booked and paid for 8 nights but felt we had to check out after 1 night already! We spent the 2nd day looking for a new hotel and happily paid for it to get out of secret cliff.
- booked superior room with sea view, view was 90% trees and vegetation
- big mosquitos and BIG REPTILES inside the room without us opening the balcony window at all or the door for longer than 10 seconds, we later discovered an opening between the 2 balcony windows which allows bugs and animals to enter the room when closed, pictures attached
- very old and worn out interior, squeaky doors
- no proper lock on door, can easily open door and picklock
- 'villas' were across a super busy and dangerous road which separated rooms and reception/restaurant, this combined with the lack of proper locks did not give us a safe feeling
- the road was also very noisy at all times
- airconditioning leaked heavily and made much noise leaking at night
- no wall sockets in bathroom
- no space to put toiletries in bathroom
- old bathroom and smelly (think it was the toilet)
- rusty stuff on shower head and toilet paper holder
- toilet did not flush properly
- no shower cabin so entire bathroom got wet when showering, including toilet
- rusty and old shower head
- stars were steep and hard to walk on
- pool was old and dirty, broken tiles inside pool which made it dangerous, leaves and bugs inside pool which makes me think it did not get cleaned often
- old sunbeds, nearly rotten, infested with ants
- big holes in the plank floor around pool which could easily make one trip and fall bad
- smaller pool than pictures showed
- breakfast was disgusting. It was served in the open restaurant as a buffet and was infested with flies. My appetite vanished when seeing this and was did not eat anything at all. (staff was friendly in restaurant though)
- sudden 3000 baht deposit on check-in as a pre payment for damaged or dirty room articles?? Did not feel welcome.
- they make you sign a ridiculous set of terms and conditions on check-in, some of them: no ladyboy guests, hotel is allowed to charge anything that is damaged or dirty according to them (such as dirty towels or bed sheets as I read in other reviews??), hotel security can retain your passport as they see fit, and many more ludicrous rules
- there is no beach nearby! Only cliffs
- actually there is nothing nearby so you have to go to Karon or patong Beach to actually do something, which is pretty far and requires taxi or tuktuk. The catch is that it seems like the hotel has an arrangement with taxis as they charge you 300 baht for a 5 minute drive!
- restaurant is way over priced. But there's nothing else around so you don't have any other option than eating there or taking a 300 baht taxi to nearest restaurant
- free hotel shuttle drives from 10.00 till 17.00 so either way you're going to need a taxi if you want to spend time after 17.00 somewhere else than in the hotel
Only positive: the view from the RESTAURANT, not room. Also the staff at the reception and restaurant were ok friendly.
We talked to other guests in the hotel and they experienced about the same things (even the reptile in the room) and also wanted to leave.
Nothing is like the pictures in this hotel!
When checking out they asked me to fill in a form which said I could not claim any compensation whatsoever from the hotel for early checkout. There was also a small blank space where I needed to put the reason for checking out, I needed the entire backside to state all reasons. The form was pre-made which makes me think this happens a lot in the hotel.
I asked the manager if this happens often, and she asked me what the problem was. I told her to look at the backside of the form. She only told me there were no refunds. I said I don't care, it's just so bad. She offered us another room but I did not want to hear it as we already asked the receptionist for a taxi that was waiting for us and we booked a different resort already. Not sure if we had to pay extra for another room, but I should expect so. We entered the taxi and asked for
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secret Cliff Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Cliff Resort & Restaurant Hotel Karon
- Secret Cliff Resort And Restaurant
- Secret Cliff Hotel
- Secret Cliff Resort Phuket/Karon