4,805 results
All reviews lagoon pool lotus restaurant carpe diem team mix bar cabana room tropicale rooms baht bonanza beer garden red onion pool party irish pub water slides kids club two chefs family holiday entertainment team happy hour
Reviewed 30 June 2009

nobody helped us at the reception, the room we reserved was not availablethey, so the room they gave us was very dirty it had like a blood over the courtains. the room was not the best for a honeymoon.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My husband and I stayed with friends at the Centara Karon Resort for 8 nights as part of a two centre break in May 2009.
On arrival we were both upgraded to a Lagoon Poolside rooms. This proved to be great as we could just open patio doors and virtually walk straight into the pool, just one of the three pools available at the hotel. The room was large and airy, spotlessly clean and was cleaned daily. The gardens were lovely as were mix of bars and restaurants. We did not have one bad meal. The buffet breakfast was amazing, so much variety for all tastes and nationalities and the food was very fresh. ALL the staff were so very gracious and nice with great sense of humour, and this really did apply to all the staff, and the waiters and waitresses always seemed to remember what we preferred to drink. We could not find any fault at all with this hotel and would thoroughly recommend it.
The hotel is really lovely, in a great location, just a few minutes walk to the beach.
A must on the beach is a Thai Massage - £6.00 for an hour. Both my husband and I had one - lovely!
As for the restaurants in Karon Town, there are many good ones to choose from.
Would I go back to same hotel - WITHOUT A DOUBT, and I really hope I will have the opportunity to do so.

Date of stay: May 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank HFP52
Reviewed 26 June 2009

If you've booked a holiday to the Centara Karon Resort Hotel and are now looking at Trip Advisor, you're probably wondering why it shows it as a 3 star Hotel, but the Hotel website claims it to be a 4 Star Hotel. Well. having just spent 12 days at this hotel, rest assured, you won't be disappointed.

The Hotel is an oasis of landscaped gardens set back from the main road through Karon Town. The grounds are beautifully maintained and are home to frogs, lizards and birds - nothing to be scared of though as I'm sure they are all harmless. The town of Karon is typically Thai, with a plethora of bars, restaurants, massage parlours and tailors all vying for your custom. The hotel is way more upmarket than the surrounding town, but that's just Thailand for you.

I was holidaying with my wife and two grown-up off-spring, and had booked 2 Tropicale rooms through Gold Medal Travel. I booked the airport transfers via the hotel as this saved a bit of cash too. The transfer was smooth, and check-in was friendly, welcoming and went without a hitch. We were taken to our rooms in the "golf" buggy, given tons of useful information, and left to our own devices. We had two adjoining rooms which were spacious and comfortable, and despite so many other reviews mentioning hard beds, we found them absolutely fine. Our room had an enormous king-size bed, and my off-spring had a large double each in their room.

As other correspondents have reported, there are 3 main pool areas in the hotel. We stuck to the Tropix pool which was quieter - it had fewer kiddie attractions and therefore attracted more adults and couples. The pool is lovely, but the sun loungers desperately need replaced as most if not all can surprise you by giving way when you sit on them. (My off-spring accused me of breaking them all, but honestly, they were like that before I sat on them!). There's also a shortage of staff to wander round the pool taking refreshment orders - this could simply be due to our visit being in low season, but is was a pain to have to walk or swim up to the bar to order a drink.

Most lunchtimes we ate in the Azure Restaurant by the Lagoon Pool. The lunches were the best meals we ate on holiday - a great choice of light, tasty and beautifully presented meals.

As my son has a serious nut allergy, we were wary of eating at restaurants where the menu's weren't clear or the staff struggled with English. We did try "The Two Chefs" but were seriously unimpressed. The "Bamboo Kitchen" was far better and is worth a try.

Back at the hotel, the main Lotus Restaurant serves up a fine breakfast and the dinner menu is extensive, with some great meals, but also some mediocre ones. Ordering drinks was a bit of a hit and miss affair - our G&T's one night were as flat as pancakes, and on another occasion, the wine arrived after we had finished eating.

Another reviewer mentioned the fact that Happy Hours are staggered across various bars at the hotel. In effect, you can enjoy happy hour between 4pm and 11pm, with an hours gap between 9 and 10 to grab something to eat - a great way to work your way through the entire cocktail menu!

At the end of each night we enjoyed a drink in the Mix Bar - cool and tranquil, with no pesky mosquitoes nibbling at your ankles. The staff in the Mix were truly brilliant and made us feel very welcome.

Our visit also coincided with the Hotels Baht Bonanza promotion. By lodging a sum on your room account, say 20,000 Baht, your account was credited with an additional 12,000 Baht. I guess this is a low season promotion and might not be applicable to everyone. Between the Happy Hour ruse and the Baht Bonanza, we had a tremendous holiday that was great value for money.

And is it 3 or 4 star? I would say that the facilities are 4 star, and the service varies between 3 and 4 star. Highly recommended and if life wasn't so short, I would go back to this hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank SnoopD4ve
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Stayed at the Centara Karon Resort from June 6th to June 21st 2009, all I can say is I read the reviews here on trip advisor before we booked and took a lot of what people said as good advice and a big thank you to you all, as your reviews were spot on.

The Hotel & resort are absolutely bang on for the money, this was our first trip to Thailand and booked the Centara resort as a B&B package, we opted for the CABANA, YES the CABANA, its a must if you stay here as the cost quite simply for traveling that far is minimal. The CABANA it self was modern, spacious and the plunge pool you get in your garden is a blessing having spent hours on the beach.

They do have a habit of upgrading you as you arrive and then moving you back to your original booked accomodation, myself and my wife had a nice suprise with three days in the penthouse cabana before we moved to our one bed cabana.

With a cabana booking you get free complimentary cocktails every night worth £4 each based on the hotel price, they also do some great special offers limited to cabana guests, fruit bowl on arrival, discounted meals, spa treatments, they will even send a chef round to do a BBQ for you, how cool!!!

The rest of the hotel is as other reviews stated nice pools, lovely manicured gardens, pool bars and a few different restaurants. I agree with other reviews its not a 4 star resort, more like a 3.5 really, they were doing a few upgrades around the place when we were there, no inconvenience caused either? The staff are really friendly as all people in Thai resorts and will try to do anything for you.

We ate at the hotel a couple of times, it is more expensive than in Karon centre, but you would expect that anywhere, the quality of the food is quite high, breakfast is a buffet affair with everything from Asian to European tastes, the fried eggs are fab and they also have a guy making fresh pancakes. It does get quite busy between 8.30am to 9.30am, although breakfast does run from 6.30am to 11am, or just have it in your room. The Thai evening (Thursday night) is a must, and a Steak on the Terrace restaurant (Tuesday night) was the best steak I've ever had.

You can also go round the hotel bars from 6pm to 10pm, picking up all the different happy hours, from the pool to the Mix bar to the lobby, if you time it right you save a fortune?

We stayed in June which is supposed to be the Monsoon season or low season, let me just say we had one day when it p***ed it down all day, the other 13 days were glorious with a fantastic light breeze, although humidity and heat were still +87 during the day and +80 at night.

Karon itself is typical Phuket, you'll be asked if you want a suit, massage or a Tuk-tuk about 1000 times before you leave, best thing to do is have a little banter with the locals, they'll soon get to know you and back off, the beach at Karon is a 5 minute walk from the hotel, its a fab beach, great for a tan. However please be aware that the tidal current can be dangerous during the low season so take the advice of any locals or local notices.

We hooked up with a sunbed guy directly opposite the traffic island as you cross the main road to the beach, his beds are marked ARM or XXAXX. This guy did everything for us during our stay, he got us beers food, gave advice on sea conditions, took photo's of us and moved our beds when needed. All this for 200 BHT for the Sunbeds and umbrella's 90 BHT a beer and 80 BHT for various lunchtime food offerings, Thai Chicken with rice or Phad Thai were my favourites.

Karon at night is a mix of bars, seafood/Thai & European restaurants, massage parlors & shops, our favourite restaurants were RED ONION and THE BAMBOO, both situated about 2 min walk from the hotel, go left and left again by the pancake street seller (you must try those too at 30 BHT) the food is cheap and of fantastic quality at both, and I never spent over 800 BHT at both for myself and my wife, that included drinks?

There are a few good trips to take, white water rafting and elephant trekking are a must, Phi Phi island where the film The Beach was shot and Phananga bay where they filmed James Bond - Goldfinger its best if you barter with one tour company like SIM'S or SIMBA as they will do a buy 2 get third trip free deal.

Would I go again, absolutely loved every minute of it..........:-)

Date of stay: June 2009
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We (family of three) stayed four nights in Centara Karon Beach Resort Phuket during the second week of June and I must say the experience was really good. The resort -located in Karon part of Phuket is five mins walk to the beach- and is quite sprawling with lots of trees and greenery - in the quite end of the street lined with restaurants, a supermarket, a couple of massage place, tailors, etc.

We reached around mid day from Bangkok after an overnight flight and the lady at the reception ushered us to the lounge sofa, gave us cold towels and drinks to freshen up and completed the check in process efficiently. We were also given a complementary 20 min jet lag massage voucher at the Cenvaree Spa – part of the resort facilities.

We had reserved the Pool view Lagoon villa and it was quite spacious. Our daughter liked the room especially because the rear door opened straight to the pool and she had good time in the pool throughout our stay though she felt the pool wasn’t deep enough for a teenager. There are two other pools in the resort – one at the Tropical Wing and other at the Tower wing. The pool at the Tropical is bit bigger and deeper.

Unfortunately the room doesn't have an internet connection. I was told that only the Tropicale rooms have this facility. I honestly think that thses days internet is a must for every one - budget or luxury travellers.

The first night we had our dinner at the Terrace Grill restaurant of the resort, which offers seafood specialities. I really liked the grilled Lobster - tasty and good value for money.

The buffet breakfast next morning at the Lotus Restaurant was quite a spread that would satisfy people of every region- Asians, Japanese, Europeans and, of course Thais as well. We ordered some Indian food that night from the restaurant menu but unfortunately it wasn’t upto the mark.

We didn’t book any tours at the hotel travel desk as know they were expensive and in any case they will book us to another tour operator. So we went down the road to a tour operator just opposite the resort and the girl at the counter was quite pleasant and gave us details of several tour options.

Overall our experience was very good. Staff are friendly and polite. The only minus side is that if you want a room with beach view or facing the beach – this is not for you.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank karan3842Bahrain
local77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2009

Dear Karan3842Bahrain

thank you very mcuh for your review for your review of Centara Karon beach Resort that you posted accidently under Park Plaza Sukhumvit.

You may want to ask tripadvisor to remove it here and post in under Centara Karon.

We wish you many more nice trips to Thailand.

Marco Seiler