If you've booked a holiday to the Centara Karon Resort Hotel and are now looking at Trip Advisor, you're probably wondering why it shows it as a 3 star Hotel, but the Hotel website claims it to be a 4 Star Hotel. Well. having just spent 12 days at this hotel, rest assured, you won't be disappointed.
The Hotel is an oasis of landscaped gardens set back from the main road through Karon Town. The grounds are beautifully maintained and are home to frogs, lizards and birds - nothing to be scared of though as I'm sure they are all harmless. The town of Karon is typically Thai, with a plethora of bars, restaurants, massage parlours and tailors all vying for your custom. The hotel is way more upmarket than the surrounding town, but that's just Thailand for you.
I was holidaying with my wife and two grown-up off-spring, and had booked 2 Tropicale rooms through Gold Medal Travel. I booked the airport transfers via the hotel as this saved a bit of cash too. The transfer was smooth, and check-in was friendly, welcoming and went without a hitch. We were taken to our rooms in the "golf" buggy, given tons of useful information, and left to our own devices. We had two adjoining rooms which were spacious and comfortable, and despite so many other reviews mentioning hard beds, we found them absolutely fine. Our room had an enormous king-size bed, and my off-spring had a large double each in their room.
As other correspondents have reported, there are 3 main pool areas in the hotel. We stuck to the Tropix pool which was quieter - it had fewer kiddie attractions and therefore attracted more adults and couples. The pool is lovely, but the sun loungers desperately need replaced as most if not all can surprise you by giving way when you sit on them. (My off-spring accused me of breaking them all, but honestly, they were like that before I sat on them!). There's also a shortage of staff to wander round the pool taking refreshment orders - this could simply be due to our visit being in low season, but is was a pain to have to walk or swim up to the bar to order a drink.
Most lunchtimes we ate in the Azure Restaurant by the Lagoon Pool. The lunches were the best meals we ate on holiday - a great choice of light, tasty and beautifully presented meals.
As my son has a serious nut allergy, we were wary of eating at restaurants where the menu's weren't clear or the staff struggled with English. We did try "The Two Chefs" but were seriously unimpressed. The "Bamboo Kitchen" was far better and is worth a try.
Back at the hotel, the main Lotus Restaurant serves up a fine breakfast and the dinner menu is extensive, with some great meals, but also some mediocre ones. Ordering drinks was a bit of a hit and miss affair - our G&T's one night were as flat as pancakes, and on another occasion, the wine arrived after we had finished eating.
Another reviewer mentioned the fact that Happy Hours are staggered across various bars at the hotel. In effect, you can enjoy happy hour between 4pm and 11pm, with an hours gap between 9 and 10 to grab something to eat - a great way to work your way through the entire cocktail menu!
At the end of each night we enjoyed a drink in the Mix Bar - cool and tranquil, with no pesky mosquitoes nibbling at your ankles. The staff in the Mix were truly brilliant and made us feel very welcome.
Our visit also coincided with the Hotels Baht Bonanza promotion. By lodging a sum on your room account, say 20,000 Baht, your account was credited with an additional 12,000 Baht. I guess this is a low season promotion and might not be applicable to everyone. Between the Happy Hour ruse and the Baht Bonanza, we had a tremendous holiday that was great value for money.
And is it 3 or 4 star? I would say that the facilities are 4 star, and the service varies between 3 and 4 star. Highly recommended and if life wasn't so short, I would go back to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Karon Town, with an abundance of eateries and entertainment options at its doorstep and Karon Beach a short stroll away, the resort is perfectly located to experience the many facets of Phuket. As a destination in its own right, Centara Karon Resort Phuket fulfils every holiday aspiration, from pure bliss at Spa Cenvaree to active holidays and family fun with activities galore, yoga sessions, three swimming pools, waterslides and a kids’ club. This four-star resort, laid out within beautiful gardens backed by green hills, is comprised of four very distinctive residential zones. Couples and small families will find the rooms and Honeymoon Suites at the Terraces a comfortable retreat, and enjoy the option of ocean view or a private outdoor Jacuzzi; while families and groups of friends are spoilt for choice with spacious guestrooms set moments away from the waterslide and games of the Lagoon pool. The generously-sized one- and two-bedroom Cabanas feature a private terrace with a plunge Jacuzzi. As a fun place for families, the resort has a kids’ club with daily activities and three expansive swimming pool areas complete with three children’s pools for the younger ones to splash in, two waterslides and pool games. Pool parties are held regularly, and other activities include tennis and football. The resort also has two restaurants, a sports bar, and three swim-up pool bars A scheduled shuttle service takes guests from the resort to Patong, and Phuket International Airport is reached in less than one hour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Fastbooking, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Karon Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Karon Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Karon Hotel Phuket
- Centara Hotel Karon