“Solid Typical Resort Stay”

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa
Ranked #34 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I used to live in Asia and my stay at the Hilton in Phuket was the first time I paid to stay in a resort in this part of the world. Typically I stayed in guesthouses but I found an amazing deal online and had to book it.

The Hilton was exactly everything I expected - huge resort, solid service, several pools, overpriced food, Westernized rooms. If you're someone who needs consistency and doesn't like surprises, this hotel is for you. You don't feel the need to leave the resort because everything is there.

Karon Beach is across the street in the back part of the property, which is actually the main part of the Hilton. If you enter through the formal front entrance it's a long drive from a main street where there isn't much of anything. If you want to go anywhere, exit from the back. Anyway, you can rent chairs at the beach or bring your Hilton towel and sit directly in the sand. The beach is lovely but unshaded if you don't rent a chair.

My friend and I were upgraded to a room with a view of the ocean which was wonderful as we could see the sunset through the trees. The room itself was very nice and spacious. In terms of maid service, it was extremely slow and ill timed. We would leave the room for breakfast and see the cart servicing rooms on the floor and by the time we came back late in the afternoon, the cart would still be there. I don't know what kind of method they use to hit the rooms but having our room cleaned at 5 PM one day was unacceptable as we had to wait on the balcony so she could finish! Also, they were stingy with the toilet paper. The maid kept folding it into a tiny triangle but we weren't supplied with more. The other thing I was hoping for in the bathroom was a bidet. I was disappointed that there wasn't one (I'm talking about the spray hose). Given that the hotel was Westernized, I could understand no bidet but we're in Asia! Get with the bidet.

It was nice to mix it up with a resort stay in Phuket. Phuket has changed a lot in the last few years so staying there was sort of in line with how Phuket itself has been changing. If you want predictable, stay at the Hilton. If you want to pay a fraction of the price and feel like you're in Thailand, don't stay at a resort like the Hilton!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
HiltonPhuketArcadia, General Manager at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for taking time in commenting on our property through TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to know that we met some of your expectations and that you appreciated the upgraded room where you enjoyed the view. However, we are disappointed to read that we were not able to reach your satisfaction in other aspects.

We thank you for your comments on the Housekeeping service where we will share your comments with our Executive Housekeeper for review and improvement. Your comments about our bathroom facility is valid, we will bring this valued suggestion of having a spray hose option or bidet into consideration when we plan further improvements to our rooms as we move forward.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess our offerings and identify areas of improvement.
We thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Andre A Gomez

Write a ReviewReviews (3,330)

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Great location across the road from the beach and close to many restaurants
Expansive grounds with beautiful landscaping, very tranquil. Some people might find it too big, there is a shuttle bus to get around inside the resort!
Several pools which are really nice but most days it was very hard to get a sun lounger, in think they need more to cater to the capacity of the resort.
Breakfast is included in the room rate and was very good
There is live music in the cocktail lounge every night but often this didn't start at the advertised time so we were waiting around a lot having to buy expensive cocktails.
In room Internet was very expensive and no free wireless areas.
The fitness centre is pretty good, tennis and squash are quite expensive
There is no private beach club

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonPhuketArcadia, General Manager at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa and for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor.
It is such a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your overall experience during your stay with us. We are really glad to read that you liked our landscaping, our shuttle bus service, our pools and our Hilton Breakfast.
We thank you for your comment on our entertainment and internet pricing. Both these points are now under review with our third party operators to better enhance our guest experience as we move forward in 2012 and beyond.
As you outlined, the hotel provides a fully equipped Fitness Centre that operates 24 hours a day on a complimentary basis. Our tennis courts operate daily from 7.00 am to 9.00 pm and this service is also provided on a complimentary basis unless you choose to play after 6 pm when a minimum charge per hour applies. This is designed to encourage guests to play during the day in the interest in energy conservation. The hotel provides tennis rackets for rental at a nominal charge and balls to ensure each and every guest enjoys their game with quality equipment. There is however a small charge per hour for the use of the squash court inclusive of equipment hire.
The hotel indeed does not has a private beach club as Karon Beach is a public beach. We however provide our popular Ocean Beach Club that overlooks the ocean where it is fully equipped with umbrellas and sun loungers. This area includes a sand court that provides a semi-beach feel for both adults and children. Our Ocean Beach Club pool opens daily from 7.00am till 9.00pm with Food & Beverage service daily from 10.00 am till 10.30 pm.
Thank you again for this review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next visit.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Spent 8 nights, in this well positioned hotel on Karon Beach. Arrived in Phuket at 9am and after collecting bags, was promptly met by the Hilton Staff for transfer in a BMW 5 series. Good value and takes away the stress of transferring to the hotel after over 14 hours worth of flying. Especially when you see the carnage of Phuket airport in the morning!

Arrived at the lobby, sat down on a couch as HHonors members, glass of lychee juice. All very relaxing. A previous reviewer stated check in took too long, well I actually liked the one to one service that was provided.

Our room was ocean front facing and was gorgeous. Well appointed and comfortable, and the housekeeping service was exceptional.

We spent most of our days by the pool, by the beach and most staff were very friendly. I think there was only one day, where it felt disjointed service wise, but it seemed different staff were working.

Dinner in the beach pool restaurant was excellent. Dined there twice as my wife and I enjoyed it so much. Credit to the team there.

The hotel is massive and does cater for conferences, but to be honest I didnt notice the difference in pace at the hotel. It was very relaxing and if you made breakfast before 9am you beat the rush!

On the subject of breakfast it was excellent. Such a large spread and the way it is managed was excellent. The comments from another reviewer about the juice is ill founded. Juices are different around the world, foods taste different around the world.... just deal with it.

I was dissapointed with the Italian restaurant. It was not my cup of tea, but then again Thailand aint Italy, but I wanted something different and simple that night.

Room Service Excellent and prompt, food always presented well.

Overall the stay was excellent, I would return and would not hesitate to reccommend to others.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms the best!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidandGems

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your pleasing comments. It is always encouraging to receive feedback, especially positive one’s such as your’s.
It is such a pleasure to learn that you had an excellent overall experience during your stay with us. We are pleased to read that you were impressed by our reception team at check-in, our pool team at Ocean Beach Club and our Room Service team. We are glad that you liked the spread of food at Hilton Breakfast. Thank you for your comments on Boun Appettito where we will share your comments with our Executive Chef for review and improvement.

As you are a HHonnors member, we would like to extend our appreciation for your continuing support to our brand as well as thank you for recommending us to the other travellers.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Well, disappoiting is my overall rating for this hotel, although it did have some good points. Check in was very slow & then our rooms weren't ready, thankfully we had flown in from Bangkok not the UK directly so we didn't mind sitting about too much. When we eventually got our rooms I realsied they weren't the ones I had paid for in the refurbished Arcadia Wing & looked rather atty to be honest. So back down to the receptionist who was not particularly helpful & said that our travel agent should not have booked us into that wing for the price they had paid the hotel & wanted me to call London to sort it out!!!!!!! After much debate, in the heat, we were begrudgingly given rooms in the correct wing - but not the sea view I had paid for. These rooms were very much better - lovely bathrooms with showers & baths, day beds in the room & on the balcony, interesting lit up scene behind the bed (two large singles pushed together for some reason!)

There were two conference parties whilst we were at the hotel & it is pretty obvious that this is where their interests lie, not with individual travellers.

We thought the breakfast buffet was very good indeed,&, although there was no variation theer was plenty of choice. As mentioned, the prices in the hotel were high but to be expeceted I suppose. There was an extremely disappointing choice of vegetarian food on the evening menus, particularly at the Thai restuarant.

The day time/early evening bar staff were loevly, cheerful & friendly (unlike the reception staff!) & the free happy hour drinks which came with our agent were welcome. Not so sure about the dreadful check trouser things they wore though!

The pools were very nice indeed & never really crowded. However, when I went down in the afternoon a couple of times there was a wait for towels.

The spa is amazing, set in the lake, acros a bridge. You are welcomed with a delciouos cool lychee drink & the treatments are in lovely individual cabins. There are flowers all about, robes etc & the staff are very sweet & friendly.

The rooms were serviced daily, with fresh towels if you wanted them, but I often found the toiletries weren't replenished, even when I asked so I ended up buying some locally as it was easier that way. I also found my personal items "rearranged" a lot, which was rather disconcerting. (nothing missing of course)

There are 3 lobbys (that I found, maybe more?!), which is very confusing for meeting reps etc & we ended up sitting waiting about for them. They need to be more clear about which one to meet at.

Laundry service quick & efficient, it can be done much cheaper outside the hotel but it is very convenient this way so I didn't mind paying more.

The "shops" by the beach pool are mostly shut, so don't bother taking a look. The other shops are fairly average hotel shops, none too exciting but a few nice bits.

The lack of traffic in the main part of the hotel was nice (vehicles are stopped at the front lobby & there is a shuttle from there). However, once again, the conference clients were an exception & their big buses could roar about the site!

The nightly entertainment was ok for a short time only but the only variation was on Sunday, obviously when the 2 regular girls had a night off.

As the lobby was open plan the noise form the entertainment travelled clearly to our rooms & one night when we went to bed early for a trip next day this kept us awake - glad I didn't have kids with me!

Lack of free wifi anywhere in the hotel very disappoiting & extremely unusual these day.

Compared to the hotel in Bangkok, which we stayed in the previous week, the service & staff weren't a patch & if we had stayed in the orginal rooms, I would have said they weren't either! This despite being a higher rating & much more expensive!

The grounds are nicely sculpted & looked after, with a resident peacock. We found it quite confusing to find our way about the resort & the map provided didn't help much.

All I all, we had a great holiday but it could have been vastly improved by a better attitude from most of the staff & I am very glad I stuck to my guns about the rooms!

The hotel is out of Karon Beach but in my opinion that isn't such a bad thing. However, it wasn't easy to get transport unless you went through the desk & of course that adds a lot to the cost.

Room Tip: Arcadid Wing every time, this has been refurbished the other rooms we saw were sorely in need of wor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorfolkEvelyn
HiltonPhuketArcadia, General Manager at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback of your experience with us on TripAdvisor.
We are of course disappointed to hear that some aspects of your stay were not up to your expectations. We sincerely apologise for the unfortunate incident and the shortfalls that you faced during your stay. We pride ourselves on consistently delivering exceptional service to all our guests but regrettably, we seemed to have failed on this occasion. The booking issue has been addressed to our Front Desk team for immediate review in order to prevent this from happening again in the future.

As you have outlined, we have in the last 6 months initiated a refurbishment program to our rooms where several buildings have now been completed. This is very much part of our improvement plan in order to enhance our guest experience. In addition, our maintenance team has planned an extensive maintenance program in the rest of the hotel this year in order to ensure that our room condition is at its best.

Our hotel provides services and facilities to support both conferences & events and holiday makers and we look to enhance and clearly differentiate these offerings accordingly. We thank you for your comments which only reinforces the work that we are now doing to reassure our guests that they will always receive warm Thai hospitality during their stay.
Other than you disappointments, we are glad that you liked our Hilton Breakfast, our pools, our spa. It ‘s good to know that some of our team members in particular our waitresses at the lobby lounge and spa attendants took well care of you. We appreciate your comments about adding variation of vegetarian food into the menu. We will review your feedback with our Executive Chef when we revise the breakfast menu.

We sincerely hope that the hotel will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel sometime in the near future.
We thank you again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We got a room overlooking the garden with a partial sea view. The room was newly renovated, so was very nice indeed. We were surprised that the double bed was two single's pushed together. Otherwise apart from a 9am knock to check the minibar!!!! Our experience was good, I thought the quality of the breakfast was good every morning and enjoyed stocking up for a hard day in the sun!

However the reason I would give this place 3* is because quite frankly the price of the resort lounge's and bar's was just extortianate. We only had a plate of chips from the bar, knowing that the price was expensive, however once you added the VAT & Service it worked out at around £3.20 for a plate of chips! I wouldn't even expect to pay that in a 5* in England, let alone Thailand. This sort of inflation was placed accordingly on all meals and restaurants in the resort, therefore for me I just felt like I was being completely and utterly exploited by the brand Hilton. Thus meaning I will probably never stay in another one, as I just felt it was still a take take take atmosphere when I arrived. They also wanted to charge me and my girlfriend to play tennis after 6pm, whilst it was not alot with the racket hirer they also wanted to charge, it just came down to the principle after what we had paid. Honestly how much does it cost to have a few spare tennis balls and rackets around? Claiming that the extra money they wanted for the tennis caught was to cover the flood lights!

The 3 swimming pools were great and Karon Beach was a nice area, tucked away from the very over crowded Patong. However my experience of Phuket wasn't great on my holiday and the whole place was on average about 50% more expensive than the rest of Thailand.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our room that you stayed in, our Hilton Breakfast and our swimming pools including Karon Beach itself. We are also pleased to read that you noted our brand new room in our Andaman Wings which have been well received by our guests.
As you have outlined, we indeed apply 10% service charge and 7% VAT onto every bill, which is a requirement in Thailand. With regards to your comments on our overall pricing in the outlets, we have done a thorough investigation into the pricing levels amongst our colleague hotels on Phuket to ensure we are in-line. We will continue to monitor this and take your comments into consideration during our upcoming menu reviews.

Our tennis courts are operated daily from 7.00 am to 9.00 pm and this service is free of charge, unless you would like to play after 6 pm when a 250THB per hour charge will be applied to contribute to the energy cost of lighting and encourage people to play in daylight to save energy. We highly recommend advance booking to avoid disappointment. The hotel provides racket rental service at a minimal charge of 100 THB per racket and balls to ensure each and every guest can play with good quality equipment.

We sincerely hope that you still have enjoyed your stay with us. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback on this website.

Best regards.

Andre A Gomez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
2.8 km away
5.5 km away
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong

Been to Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!