“Fantastic Gem”

Punta Bulata Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cauayan
Reviewed 5 February 2015

This is a romantic, relaxing and beautiful place to visit. It is a quiet and relaxing resort that I would recommend to anyone. The service was great and helpful. The location if a little difficult to get to but it is well worth the effort. The beach is wonderful with breathtaking sunsets. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Went to the local ocean sanctuary for a day of snorkelling which was well worth the time. Had my B.D. there and they baked me a cake and sang a B.D. song for me. It is the place to visit on Negros Occidental. Only drawback was that the pool needed a few tiles replaced but it was clean and refreshing. The food was very tasty and I liked everything I tried. The only complaint, small one, was that a few of the items on the menu were not available.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2015

We made reservations for my birthday last January 16. It took us about 3 1/2 hours to get there from Bacolod City, but it was really worth it. The room was spacious, clean and had a perfect view of the pool and the beach (we got the seaview room with balconette). We rented a jetski which costs 1800 for 30 minutes. Food was delicious and affordable! For dinner, my boyfriend had them prepare a romantic table for 2 by the shore and it was perfect! They served grilled prawns, rib-eye steak, kebab, crabs and wine for us. The view was also fantastic. Over-all we were greatly satisfied with our stay at Punta Bulata. I would recommend it for couples or even families who need a weekend getaway. :)

Room Tip: Choose the seaview with balcony/balconette
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carlahebron
Reviewed 4 January 2015

I'm serious about this. It may sound cheesy, but I'm not joking. The sunsets at Punta Bulata blew my mind. I've seen some sunsets, but never anything like it. It's like the whole world was draped in those kind of tropical sunset posters that I picture people put on their walls in the 80s.

The LOCATION is far away, but brilliant. There is little development around, certainly no towns to talk about and plenty of beach and horizon just for yourself. Flying in to Bacolod is easy, but then there is quite a long drive to get to Punta Bulata. Good food, fruits and scenery on the way, but it can/will take time. With that comes great privacy and a slight feeling of accomplishment. When you arrive and there is hardly any phone signal you feel that you have deserved to relax. And sunsets.

The ROOMS are nice. We stayed in one of the beach houses that are disconnected from the main hotel. Great view, nice and comfortable rooms with outdoor showers and massive windows facing... the sunset.

The FOOD was good with plenty of good Filipino classics and plenty of fresh seafood. They were also nice enough to let us into the kitchen to make our own coffee and prepare fruits, oysters and what not.

The FACILITIES were nice, offering massages, taking boats out to the islands and with a diving center under development.

I'd absolutely go back. It's was a great place full of very friendly people. Oh... and the sunsets were ridiculous.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2014

Travel purpose: Me-time and peaceful getaway
Staff: Attentive, approachable, friendly, courteous
Amenities: Pool, sauna
Food: Filipino, Continental
Room: Comfortable, spacious
Wi-Fi: Poor signal in rooms, intermittent signal in restaurant where it's supposedly stronger
Room features: A/C, 2 separate queen-sized beds, cable TV, veranda, spacious bathroom with his and her sinks, 1 cubicle each for shower area and toilet area.

Other notes:
- It takes 4-5 hours from the city proper to the resort.

We stayed around June and got the resort rates on a promo, we did not anticipate the weather conditions-- our flight from Manila was delayed and got to Bacolod at around 6 or 7PM, which is pretty late to travel to the resort, hence we decided to stay in the city for the night and take the bus at 6 am the next day.

-We arrived at 12nn and although no one was manning the front desk, we were accommodated by the staff immediately.

-The next few days were spent going around the resort since it was a bit bleak and raining (not torrential, though)

- There are hammocks and swings you can lounge in while watching the sunset.

- Lounge chairs are also situated in the beach front

- Couple of friendly dogs wander around the beach grounds

-We have pre-arranged the boat transfer to Danjugan island, but were assured that if the weather has not improved, they will refund the payment.

-Luckily, it was sunny the next day so we were able to spend it in Danjugan where we were briefed about its ecological goals and measures. We walked through the beachfront, some mangroves and rock formations and were welcomed to a sumptuous fresh seafood meal and snacks. Afterwards, we went kayaking and snorkeling.

- Kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving gears are available.

-Tour guides informed us that normally, these tours in Danjugan are in groups, we were just lucky that the others backed out.

Another tip:

Don't forget your yoga mat! Wake up early and greet the sun with some warrior pose and backbends!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2014

Surrounded by pretty, deserted coves, ripe for exploring or lazing a day away after the stress of a full body massage, the unspoilt white sandy beach simply stretches into the yonder, as far as your imagination can conceive. If I were being poetic I might say that in all his labours, a single teardrop spilt from Mapolan’s eye, creating this slice of heaven on earth… but that would be rather twee, so I’ll stick to the practicalities (for now).

The resort, built by the charming patriarch of the family, ‘Bomber’ Zayco as a small family get away years ago has grown organically, blossoming from a stationary bus, renovated to include beds and a hand-powered shower to the haven it is now.

Remaining true to the family’s mountaineering traditions and his own respect and love of the land, everything is built in a sustainable and eco-friendly manner, with traditionally-built Filipino mud huts providing a new low-cost alternative to the luxury rooms in the main building and the beachside cabanas. Driftwood, sculptured by the winds and rains is carefully positioned along the beach; partially-buried treasure; stunning pieces of art that seemingly change shape and form before your very eyes, depending on your perspective and the setting of the sun. It is totally apt, and in keeping with the resort’s heartbeat. The constantly evolving landscape, the changing of recognised pattern and behaviour that forces the viewer to open one’s eyes and stare in wonder is truly reflective of this most singular of places… Mind, body and soul are replenished anew.

General Manager Thomas Zayco, who also acts as the resort’s Dive School Manager, and all the staff in fact, were very courteous and helpful, seemingly enjoying their jobs as much as we enjoyed staying there! The service in the restaurant, where the food is amazing and varied, with local dishes complementing steaks and the like was very good, attentive yet discreet, and the food was very cheap. Wi-fi is available in the restaurant, as were board games, which was a godsend as we waited out an electric storm! (Tip: the further you go from the mountain the better the wi-fi reception is.)

Speaking of the restaurant (which doubles as a bar area at night), I’m not sure if it actually closes (though I am sure it does!). We were lucky to be invited to a birthday party by a group of Filipino people staying at the resort. An elegant eating area, complete with marquee, beach candles and music had been set-up on the beach and a seemingly endless supply of food and drinks bought across… a great, if blurry night indeed!

The Dive School, which was nearing completion during our stay, aims to educate and inspire, as well as providing lessons on the practicalities of diving. Curiosity had gotten the better of us and we were found taking pictures of our heads inside a giant shark’s mouth! Feeling rather sheepish, we were given a tour of the building and Thomas explained his thoughts and ideas with a passion and warmth that is hard to describe. The resort has a number of boats (home-made, of course!), one complete with its’ own ‘escape hatch’ which will be used by the diving school, and I’d imagine that one can hire these to visit the nearby islands and deserted coves that litter the area.

Massages, which start at just 200PHP per hour (£2.50), can be had in the comfort of your own room, which was spacious, clean and well-appointed, with free toiletries. The beds were HUGE and I had a cracking rest, which was welcome after the journey from Bacolad City, which is a fair trek, but well worth it, trust me! (Bacolod South Terminal - Cauayan: (Economy Bus) Php185/person
Cauayan Main Road - Punta Bulata: (tricycle/habal habal) Php100/person)
I fell in love with the shower area in my room, which I later found out was designed by the owner’s wife (an architect) and seem to combine a cleansing simplicity with state-of-the-art features. The room itself (1A) enjoyed such staples as AC and flat screen satellite TV and had double French doors which led out directly to the infinity pool, which was clean and heated. The waterfall and massage feature helped pound away the stresses of the trip and only added to the amazing sense of well-being I had.

And, that, really, brings me full circle, back to the incredible serenity of the private beach. An early morning stroll watching the sun rise whilst paddling through warm waters and drying off on a homemade hammock before contemplating which of the fantastic breakfasts to have left me in such a blissful state of tranquillity. A truly captivating slice of paradise that truly heals your soul, bringing you back to a ‘oneness’ with the world – whilst remaining naughty and mischievous in the meantime. Brilliant!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room, though I actually think I may take a Filipino hut if ever I'm lucky e...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Incubusgeoff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cauayan
23.2 km away
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 17 in Dauin
11.4 km away
Nataasan Beach Resort & Dive Center

Been to Punta Bulata Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!