1,750 results
All reviews ettington chase groupon deal leisure facilities jacuzzi and sauna evening meal murder mystery weekend stratford upon avon chequers inn superior room bar prices buffet breakfast lovely grounds weekend break both mornings trouser press first morning restaurant manager
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We booked in for one night on returning from a day out. We had pre booked a table in the restaurant and were disappointed to find it is only a buffet on weekends (note it was a Friday), also not cheap at £25 and selection not that great.
The bedroom was clean ignoring tea stains on the wall and the bathroom was not cleaned. We did mention at reception and go an apology but not much else.

Overall a bit underwhelmed by what should have been a nice overnight stay

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I apologise about the cleanliness of the bedroom. This is not our normal standard and I have passed back to the housekeeping manager for further training and investigation
We generally offer a menu in the evening, however occasionally when we have large volumes we do offer a buffet at dinner.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

On arrival I struggled across the large car park with a couple of heavy bags. There was a dropping off point, but it wasn't adequately signposted and wasn’t visible due to large trailers for a cycling event being parked in the closest area of the car park to reception.

The gentleman who checked me in was very friendly, professional and helpful. He was alone in reception and apologised more than once for keeping me waiting while he was serving other guests.

When I arrived in my room it was very hot and also stuffy, as though it hadn’t been aired for some time. There was a fan available, but that didn’t supply fresh air to the room and the window didn’t open sufficiently to allow a flow of air from outside. However, the room was comfortable (the bed exceptionally so) and once some air had circulated it was very pleasant.

When my friend joined me we decided to eat dinner in the hotel restaurant, but despite ringing from the room for seven minutes to ascertain if we needed to book a table there was no reply. Eventually we had to contact reception in order to be put through to the restaurant to make a reservation. Room service was advertised, but there was no room service menu available in either of our rooms. A map of the hotel and facilities would have been welcome in the bedrooms too, but the only one we saw was in reception.

When we arrived at the restaurant at 8pm we discovered there was only buffet food available on a Friday night. We had no objection to helping ourselves; however, some of the food options were not being refilled as they ran out which, as there was still an hour to go of dinner (6.30pm to 9pm) was far from acceptable particularly as there wasn’t a huge choice anyway. For example, to go with salad when we arrived there was only the option of hard-boiled egg. We could see that there had been a platter of cold meats and one of what looked like tinned tuna, but neither was replenished over that last hour. Two of the main course meat options (there was no vegetarian option remaining apart from potatoes, rice and vegetables) were overcooked and dry.

Our young waiter seemed to be fairly new and thrown in at the deep end and was, in all fairness, trying his best to be helpful. Unfortunately he had no knowledge of the wine we were considering with our meal but – more importantly – despite asking other members of staff he was unable to locate anyone who could assist with our query. When we gave in gracefully and requested just water, it was poured into our glasses and then the jug was taken away, so when we wanted more we had to try and catch the eye of one of the very elusive waiting staff.

Both still hungry after being disappointed with the salad and main course options available to us, we decided to treat ourselves to a dessert. I don’t know if anything else had been on offer earlier, but the choices remaining were three types of cake and a fresh fruit salad. The chunks of melon in the salad were very large and not quite ripe, and there were still pips in the slices of satsuma/tangerine.

After eating we went to reception to ask a few questions about the local area so that we could make plans for the following day. The young woman on duty at that particular time was not very helpful and verging on rude. Whilst we were talking to her she actually turned away at one point to speak to one of the restaurant staff who had walked into reception, without so much as an “excuse me please” to us as we were ignored.

Later in the bar, my gin was served in a glass much too small to add sufficient tonic water. When I requested a larger glass, the drink was poured into a very large Coca-Cola glass! Really? They had no other glasses suitable for a double G&T? I’d specifically requested slimline tonic but regular tonic was served (unfortunately I didn’t notice until I’d just started to pour it). The young lady behind the bar offered a perfunctory apology when I mentioned it, then immediately resumed her conversation with her colleague.

In summary, the buffet food offered for dinner was well below what I’d expect from a four-star hotel and definitely not worth the price. Service by most staff we encountered was poor, although in the case of the young waiter we did get the impression that may have been due to lack of training of new staff. However, the two gentlemen in reception – one who was on duty at check in and the other at check out – couldn’t be faulted …maybe they could assist with training the other staff?

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Lorraine L, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion
I have passed your comments back to the team in order for them to review and address training, feedback is important whether that be positive or negative as it helps improve the service and standards within the hotel
I would also like to thank you for the positive comments relating to the reception time and I have also fed this back to the reception manager

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night in June 2018. On arrival in the foyer we were completely ignored by the 2 members of staff behind the reception desk for several minutes, even though we were the only people standing there and they had seen us.

Once we were checked in and at our room, we found that the decor was very lacklustre and basic and needed updating. There was mess on the floor from a previous repair job. The bathroom had no complimentary toiletries in it and needed a refurb.
There were plastic cups instead of glasses for drinks and the tea/coffee/milk was very stingy.
The TV was about as big as my phone (ok, it was 14 inches...), still had a scart socket on it (remember those?) and no HDMI at all. There were approximately 8 channels of terrestrial TV to choose from.
It was nice to have leisure facilities but the changing rooms were old and had obviously been altered in the past but how hard is it to put filler in previous drill holes?
The shower in the male changing rooms had a bottle of hand wash as substitute for the complimentary shower gel.
A few of the walls in the leisure facility had visible paint peeling off them.

Throughout the night we could hear people banging doors and making a considerable amount of noise coming from the exterior of the hotel.

On a positive note (there are a couple), there was plenty of free parking and the grounds looked lovely.

This hotel doesn't live up to previous stays in 4 star (or even some 3 star) hotels.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I apologise about the reception team this is very unusual
I apologise that the hotel did not meet your expectations and will follow up with both the housekeeping and maintenance teams relating to the rooms

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We visited here for my mums 70th birthday in June.

This hotel is set in a large peaceful grounds with some lovely views from the bedrooms. A little warn but gives it more character which we love.

We stayed in one of the suites which was lovely. Huge bathroom with walk in shower (although the rain shower needed a little attention) it was great. A walk-in wardrobe and a very spacious room with a very comfortable bed. For the price paid for the night this was well worth the money for us.

Sadly the hotel did not have a la carte menu as advertised on web but actually had a buffet menu. Mum was quite disappointed by this but the hotel allowed us to choose from the great bar menu ask which had fantastic choice on. More of a dinner menu tbh.

The staff..........brilliant!! Couldn’t be more helpful. They helped to make mums bday evening special, moved us to a quieter table after wed set up decorations and actually moved everything to the bugger table perfectly.

Relaxing sofas to sit at after and have a drink too.

Breakfast was also great and making an effort for me as a vegetarian was much appreciated.

Seriously a great place with great staff and we would definitely stay again!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback, especially around the team, I am pleased that you mum enjoyed her birthday
Generally we do offer an A la Carte menu in the evenings, however from time to time when we have large numbers we do offer buffet dinner to speed up the service, I am pleased however that we were able to resolve the problem and offer a meal for you

General Manager Ettington Chase

Reviewed 16 June 2018

spent one night here and could have spent longer. The grounds are pretty and the check in was smooth. our room was very nice with everything you could need including a safe witch was refreshing for a British hotel. The shower was hot and strong and everything clean and tidy. Our bed was comfortable too.

We used the pool which was clean and the jacuzzi which was hot and with lots of jets. The sauna was dangerously hot and no one could stay in there long. The thermometer said DANGER!
We ate in the restauraunt and had delicious chicken and mushroom pies with mash and cabbage in onion gravy. Was really nice atmosphere and a bottle of nice white wine for £10 was a good buy.
Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and again really delicious.
Only down sides were our toilet stopped flushing in the night and my husband had to use the one in the corridor! Also we had arranged late check out and the maid walked in at 8.00 AM while we were sleeping. That was us up for the day! Also a little noisy with banging doors in the morning.

Apart from that wouldn't hesitate to go again.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us
I apologise that the maid entered your bedroom earlier, despite arranging a late checkout, I have now asked both housekeeping and reception to review their procedures, I also apologise that you had a problem with your toilet during the night