“Cancelled reservation and they stole my money!”

Villa Via - Midrand
Villa Via - Midrand
Ranked #202 of 225 Hotels in Greater Johannesburg
Reviewed 24 September 2015

I cancelled my reservation way in advance for which I am supposedly entitled a full refund. However, they haven't refund my money nor have they replied to my emails or those from Expedia which is where I booked this hotel.
Stay away from this place people, they are plain thieves!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PepeCortisona

Reviewed 28 July 2015

My colleague and I were booked there for four nights..upon arrival the place looked old and untidy from the gate to the yard with old dirty flags. The place smells terrible and the rooms are a shocker , my bathroom door had a chain attached to assist with closing and opening and my bathroom window couldn't close properly. The beds were a nightmare with old looking furniture. My room was not properly cleaned and there was no water and I was told there was nothing they could do. We eventually went for breakfast and that was the worst of all, there was no eggs, bacon , sausages ( claiming to serve a continental breakfast which is a blatant lie) the yoghurt tasted old and the coffee was served with lukewarm water. I really think the placed should be visited by inspectors and closed down , it doesn't deserve the 3star grading , its a total disaster of a place I will NEVER go there again and will strongly advise people to not go there ever.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Nomsa1987
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We will process your refund immediately after you cancel, and you should see a credit on your billing statement within 30 days or less of cancelling your booking, or on your next billing cycle. If you do not see the credit after 30 days, call our customer service team.
Whilst the above is listed on www.securehotelsreservations.com, a booking site for the Hotel, there policy is: We are aware of your booking and the cancellation, yes we took the payment from your credit card .The reason was to secure your booking. Unfortunately you will get the refund after two weeks of your departure date. Its a hotel policy. I have been waiting for my refund which according to hotel policy should have been paid out on the 7th February and it is now 11th March, they do not answer E mails or the phone

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TomySteele
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had a most horrible time at this hotel. It is dirty, neglected (hasn't seen a layer of paint in years) and it felt like a hostel when we got there. No one assisted us with our luggage and we had to walk up three flights of stairs. The continental breakfast is cereal and milk. They used my colleagues face cloth to clean her bath and used her toilet without flushing it. And to top it all. they changed our rates from what we were quoted and we paid R2400 more in the end. Oh yes, and the DSTV is linked to the one in the reception, so you have to watch whatever they are watching and they channel hop all the time..... Not a nice place!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Monean W
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Villa Via at Midrand while attending an Exhibition and I was thoroughly disappointed. The 3-Star rating is very misleading.

Getting to the hotel itself is a challenge unless you have your own car or you hire a cab. The train station is 10 minutes by bus. The rooms are mediocre and dining options are limited. The Wi-Fi never worked in the rooms, even though the receptionist promised during all 4 days of my stay that the problem will be fixed "tomorrow".

The hotel owners are real nice people but they need to invest more on the property. If I were to visit Midrand again, I would explore other hotel options.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business