“Nice surprise”
Review of The Star of Siam

The Star of Siam
Reserve with OpenTable
The Star of Siam is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated in the Highfield Hotel, the Star of Siam is the longest established Thai restaurant in the Durham & the North East with over 20 years of serving Thai cuisine throughout the Tyne & Wear area. With this experience and working with some of the best Thai chefs in the UK we believe we know a thing or two about authentic Thai food. Our menu has been refined over the years to offer the best the Thai cuisine has to offer using fresh ingredients and produce from local suppliers. Whether you are a just discovering Thai food or are an experienced Thai food lover, our friendly staff will be there to greet you with a smile and can help with dish selection. Thai dishes can range from very mild to extremely spicy which is why on our menu you will find a chilli scale so show the strength of the dish. Our restaurant can cater to your needs whether it is a meal for one or a party of one hundred.
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

I booked into the Highfield Hotel not knowing it had a Thai Restaurant. I didn’t know what to expect from a hotel on the side of a dual carriageway but WOW was I pleasantly surprised. They obviously have a very good chef as the Food was extremely tasty and authentic. The ambiance was really nice and after a hard day on the road it was lovely to relax with a glass of white wine, some happy music, the chitter chatter of happy customers and the sound of a water feature in the background. The mixed starter for two (I had it all to myself) was amazing. The best spare ribs I have had and the satay sauce was to die for. In fact the three sauces that came with it were all home made and perfectly matched to the starters (spare ribs x2 chicken satay x 2 spring rolls x 2 and Fish cakes x 2) I ordered the chicken Larb salad for my main course. It didn’t disappoint although when I asked the young Thai waiter he couldn’t explain the dish to me so I googled it. It was exactly what it should have been. Hot minced chicken with lettuce red onions and mint. Fresh clean food. Very impressed. Be warned it is Chilli hot but a great dish. Think I will stay here again just for the food as my partner doesn’t like Thai or Chinese food so I can’t normally have a meal out. Loved it 10/10

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Another fantastic meal at one of the best thai restaurants in the north east. Great food, fabulous service and friendliest staff ever!!! If you haven't been, go!!

Reviewed 24 January 2018

This was our forth visit to this restaurant and it is still as good as ever with one minor exception
The fish cake starters are nothing like any fish cakes i have ever seen or bought they are just ok
but all the rest of the starters and mains where nicely presented and very good
well worth a visit

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Came here a second time just before Christmas to see if it lived up to the first visit. It did!

Again excellent food and very reasonable priced (check out the specials menu).

Service was top notch, very helpful & friendly waiters.

Definitely one of our favourite places to eat out.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

I've been here several times over the years and have always found the food to be delicious. There's a good choice so there's something for everyone and almost everything I've tried up to now has been lovely. The only thing that's not great is the desserts. I think alot of them are frozen. The cheesecake definitely is - I know because the waitress told me! Both my table and the table next door were waiting for cheesecake and the waitress came over to apologise for the wait. She said it was because the cheesecakes were still frozen so they were having to defrost them in the microwave, hence the delay. I was so shocked at her confession that all I could do was laugh! The rest of the meal was beautiful though, well worth the money, and the staff are lovely.