All reviewscrisp white sheetsan early startcomfortable bedstayed one nighttrain stationcanalsidetidy
Reviewed 4 June 2018

We went back again this year and enjoyed our stay once more. The bridge closure made the venue even quieter than last year, and we could still get access to the canal tow path for a couple of long walks. We were welcomed like old friends and nothing was too much trouble. The room in the old stables was beautifully clean and comfortable, with the lovely large shower in the light and airy shower room. A couple of hours were spent relaxing in the garden, watching the boats go by and seeing the very tame ducks with their ducklings and a pair of swans with five cygnets was very special.
We noticed a couple of poor reviews recently but wonder just where these people stayed! It didn't mirror our experience at all and we intend to come back again.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

I am unable to comment on the state of this place as we never got that far, instead we were just robbed of £100... Following the booking for this hotel we immediately realised our booking didn’t include our children, despite making a search for a family and booking a FAMILY room, so we contacted the hotel through 2 different means (following email confirmation from both the hotel and an external reservations company) to inform them. We were later informed that our booking would DOUBLE in price for the children (from £100 to £200!!).

So firstly, how is this even justified? An 8 & 12 year old cost the same amount as two adults? Questionable...extortion more like! As a result of this we tried cancelling our booking through both the hotel, the external reservations company and laterooms (with whom we booked) to be told there would be a fee for cancellation as it was within the chargeable cancellation period. I challenged this through every different means as we weren’t unaware of this charge until it was too late anyway. The communication between laterooms and the hotel was so appalling that even a chimpanzee could’ve done a better job and that’s an insult to the poor chimp. Laterooms couldn’t seem to get a straight answer out of the hotel and the hotel apparently ‘couldn’t’ cancel our room. After several days of calls here there and everywhere we decided to make alternative arrangements for the children and to keep the reservation. Two days before our stay I noticed that the hotel had already taken the £100 charge from my account. After 5 unanswered phonecalls to the hotel to ask why this charge had been made, I was contacted by what I can only describe as the most hideous human being I’ve ever encountered. This woman (a manager, I assume) was the most vile, rude and obnoxious character I’ve ever had the displeasure of talking to. She ranted in my ear and told me she had taken the charge as apparently I was going to ‘turn up with the kids that I wasn’t paying for anyway’. At no point did this woman listen to what I had to say, let alone have any inclination to help solve my issue. After the completely incoherent conversation that might usually occur between two 5 year olds, I told her how unprofessional I thought she was and had to end the call as I could no longer tolerate the torrent of abuse. As a result of this I had absolutely no intention of staying at this hotel and being in the presence of someone that feels it’s appropriate to speak to her customers like something you’d find in the sewers. So as a result of this horrific experience we were left with money that had essentially been stolen out of our bank (as there was zero prior authorisation) and completely missed the 1st birthday party we were due to attend. All in all, I’d say, don’t give this place your custom, you’d find better customer service in a brothel!

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

Prproperty looked nice on arrival but at 4.45pm in December you would expect some heating on but, no, it was arctic.
Despite turning on the under floor heating to maximum, it was 12c when we left for our party 2 hours later and only 15c by departure in the morning.

There was no extra bedding, no toiletries except hand soap, broken lights in the hall and bathroom and no one on the premises over night to assist you.

The only plus was a good breakfast cooked to order by Danielle who tried to be very nice.

The property is up for sale and the owner doesn't live there. Does that say it all?
Booked for £100 paid £90 which was still way too much. There are much better places to stay elsewhere!!!
So disappointing.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Edward A, Owner at The Brownlow, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

The underfloor heating works fine in all the Stables rooms. Unfortunately Elizabeth H managed to alter the settings and therefore the room was a little cold. Upon check-out this guest stated she was an 'accredited reviewer' for this site and what she was prepared to pay; under the circumstances we obviously agreed a reduction irrespective of the implied threat of a damaging review.
The property has been successfully managed by on or near site staff for over 2 years and as the owner I come to the property practically every day.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

We stopped here as we were going to a birthday party up the road, and didn't want to drive. Check in was fine, lots of parking on site. The room we had is part of a converted stable I reckon. Everything was clean and tidy and there was a fridge in the room, underfloor heating and a comfortable bed. Lovely cooked breakfast in the morning too. Very reasonable rates too.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Stayed here for one night to attend an event at a farm nearby, room was lovely with extremely comfortable beds and lots of space! Loved the fresh milk for the tea and the sheet of paper with all the important info including the wifi code, taxi phone numbers etc. was very helpful. Lady who checked us in was brilliant and helpful, and breakfast the next morning was very tasty. Only complaint would be that we couldn't figure out how to get the heating to switch on our room was extremely cold but as we were only there for one night it didn't matter too much.

My only advice is that this hotel is a lot easier to drive to than to walk to from the train station as we did, there was no path and had to walk along the road which we had not realised when booking but to be honest I think most hotels in that area are similar. Overall we had a good nights stay in a lovely hotel!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends