All reviewsyorkshire dalesbiscuitstoastattention to detailfresh milkold housecouple of nightsfour posteran evening mealsecond to nonelovely rooma real treatlarge roomrural settingwensleydale heiferwent out of her waybeautiful place
Reviewed 29 May 2018

We stayed here for three nights as part of my partner's birthday celebrations and we were very pleased at the excellent accomodation and the hospitality offered by Vanessa. Thornton Lodge itself is a beautiful building in a lovely setting, slightly off the beaten track and so QUIET. lovely area for walkingan exploring by car. The room was unbeleivably good and the breakfasts excellent. i would not hesitate to recommend Thornton Lodge.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Thank you so much - both for your kind words and all the lovely pictures you have taken the time to upload. It was a real treat to meet you both and to hear about your love of food. In the circumstances I'm especially chuffed with reading your praise of my breakfasts.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Thornton Lodge is a large Edwardian House built I909 in its own grounds, outside the village of Thornton Rust near Aysgarth.
Very spacious and elegant. Nothing was too much trouble for the very generous hostess, Vanessa, and the rooms were tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean.

Near to Aysgarth and Askrigg with various pubs to eat in the evening.

Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you :) It was so very lovely to meet you both and I wish you and all your family all the best for the rest of the year - so exciting! x

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have just spent 4 days staying at Thornton Lodge celebrating our wedding anniversary , we couldn't have been happier with our choice , the house is beautiful as are the grounds, Vanessa our host couldn't have been anymore helpful with sorting out our walks and where to go for dinner , our room was lovely as was the en suite we had a very large room with a four poster bed , I have spinal problems and sleeping anywhere other than our bed with Tempura mattress is always a problem for me , but happily the bed was really comfortable, Thornton lodge is spotlessly clean & you can certainly see that Vanessa takes great pride in her beautiful home , breakfast was a choice of cereal, fruit & yoghurt, full English, toast & preserves , Vanessa also makes a variety of home made jams , I tried rhubarb and vanilla , it was very yummy we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back again in a heart beat .

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Hi Sally Anne, thank you for being so kind and enthusiastic about me and the house. I get such a boost when I read that I helped make peoples holidays lovely ones. It was fab to meet you both and I'm glad you enjoyed your break here. x

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

When we arrived for our 2nd holiday at Thornton Lodge, we were greeted by Vanessa. We were taken to our room and all I could say was, "wow". The room was beautifully decorated with lovely furniture including an enormous four poster oak bed, chairs, table and also a settee. The bathroom was beautifully fitted with luxurious soaps, shower gels and Egyptian cotton towels. Breakfast was a treat in itself, with a good selection of cereals, fresh fruit and yogurt etc. The cooked breakfast was amazing with a good choice available. Vanessa's attention to detail is second to none, so if you want a real treat, you won't be disappointed by Thornton Lodge.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

thank you :) it was a real treat to see you both again and i'm glad you loved this room even more than your last one. xx

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Simply fabulous from arrival to departure. Thornton Lodge itself is a very handsome early 20th century house with lovely gardens that has been carefully and sympathetically undated. The bedroom we had was huge and beautifully furnished in keeping with the history and feel of the house. The bathroom was also large and simply but very nicely done and there was lots of hot water - very welcome for a soak at the end of long walks. The extra touches in the room; the choice of teas and coffees, socnes, biscuits and the toiletries were much appreciated. All topped by a great breakfast with wonderful homemade jams and marmalade.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you, that's really kind of you. It's really lovely that everyone has been so kind about my jams and marmalades - I am truly looking forwards to making some new flavours when I get a chance! x