“A truly enjoyable stay . ”
Review of Thornton Lodge

Thornton Lodge
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have just spent 4 days staying at Thornton Lodge celebrating our wedding anniversary , we couldn't have been happier with our choice , the house is beautiful as are the grounds, Vanessa our host couldn't have been anymore helpful with sorting out our walks and where to go for dinner , our room was lovely as was the en suite we had a very large room with a four poster bed , I have spinal problems and sleeping anywhere other than our bed with Tempura mattress is always a problem for me , but happily the bed was really comfortable, Thornton lodge is spotlessly clean & you can certainly see that Vanessa takes great pride in her beautiful home , breakfast was a choice of cereal, fruit & yoghurt, full English, toast & preserves , Vanessa also makes a variety of home made jams , I tried rhubarb and vanilla , it was very yummy we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back again in a heart beat .

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Hi Sally Anne, thank you for being so kind and enthusiastic about me and the house. I get such a boost when I read that I helped make peoples holidays lovely ones. It was fab to meet you both and I'm glad you enjoyed your break here. x

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

When we arrived for our 2nd holiday at Thornton Lodge, we were greeted by Vanessa. We were taken to our room and all I could say was, "wow". The room was beautifully decorated with lovely furniture including an enormous four poster oak bed, chairs, table and also a settee. The bathroom was beautifully fitted with luxurious soaps, shower gels and Egyptian cotton towels. Breakfast was a treat in itself, with a good selection of cereals, fresh fruit and yogurt etc. The cooked breakfast was amazing with a good choice available. Vanessa's attention to detail is second to none, so if you want a real treat, you won't be disappointed by Thornton Lodge.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

thank you :) it was a real treat to see you both again and i'm glad you loved this room even more than your last one. xx

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Simply fabulous from arrival to departure. Thornton Lodge itself is a very handsome early 20th century house with lovely gardens that has been carefully and sympathetically undated. The bedroom we had was huge and beautifully furnished in keeping with the history and feel of the house. The bathroom was also large and simply but very nicely done and there was lots of hot water - very welcome for a soak at the end of long walks. The extra touches in the room; the choice of teas and coffees, socnes, biscuits and the toiletries were much appreciated. All topped by a great breakfast with wonderful homemade jams and marmalade.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you, that's really kind of you. It's really lovely that everyone has been so kind about my jams and marmalades - I am truly looking forwards to making some new flavours when I get a chance! x

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Vanessa was a very hospitable host as we sheltered from some inclement weather in The Dales. Comfortable rooms,hot showers and hearty breakfasts all added to the comfort, together with a welcoming lounge area to have a hot drink and read about the Dales.
Well located for a visit to the Aysgarth Falls,Bolton Castle,Askrig(home of Alf Wright or more commonly known as James Herriot), with some good local pubs for lunches and dinners. Hawes-with dales Museum and Wensleydale Creamery-cheese factory and tasting- is not far away either.
A thoroughly enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: All the spacious rooms have lovely garden views
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review, and also your kind words about both myself and my home.

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Thornton lodge is a beautiful home situated between some of the most beautiful places to visit in the dales. The house it's self is kept very well, grand... yet clean and cosy. On arriving at the house, we were welcomed by Vanessa (the lady of the house, come cook, cleaner, tour guide and general fairy godmother)! A very warm welcoming, as if being invited into her home (which it is), we asked to book in early on our day of arrival as we were travelling straight from taking our daughter to school... just convenient to us. Vanessa kindly arranged for our room to be ready early, no corners cut! My partner and I have stayed in many places that have high ratings, but never have we experienced the attention to detail that we have found here, from lip balm and eye cream (the white company), on the dresser, to the welcoming and helpful conversation from Vanessa her self. I could not recommend anywhere better, in a more beautiful place, to stay! Amazing, beautiful and just gorgeous.... and that's just the hostess!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2017

Hi Polly.
What a lovely write up, thank you so much. It was great to meet you, I really do wish you all the best with the upcoming house move. I do think if people read this they might think I bribed you to be so nice (which of course I didn't)- although to be likened to a fairy godmother is probably worth it! I had a lovely weekend with my guests, which is a real blessing given the weather was a bit rotten so thank you for being such a pleasure to host for.
kind regards,
Vanessa x

Been to Thornton Lodge? Share your experiences!