All reviews yorkshire dales biscuits toast attention to detail fresh milk old house four poster an evening meal second to none lovely room a real treat large room rural setting wensleydale heifer beautiful place places to visit great breakfast
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Simply fabulous from arrival to departure. Thornton Lodge itself is a very handsome early 20th century house with lovely gardens that has been carefully and sympathetically undated. The bedroom we had was huge and beautifully furnished in keeping with the history and feel of the house. The bathroom was also large and simply but very nicely done and there was lots of hot water - very welcome for a soak at the end of long walks. The extra touches in the room; the choice of teas and coffees, socnes, biscuits and the toiletries were much appreciated. All topped by a great breakfast with wonderful homemade jams and marmalade.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you, that's really kind of you. It's really lovely that everyone has been so kind about my jams and marmalades - I am truly looking forwards to making some new flavours when I get a chance! x

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Vanessa was a very hospitable host as we sheltered from some inclement weather in The Dales. Comfortable rooms,hot showers and hearty breakfasts all added to the comfort, together with a welcoming lounge area to have a hot drink and read about the Dales.
Well located for a visit to the Aysgarth Falls,Bolton Castle,Askrig(home of Alf Wright or more commonly known as James Herriot), with some good local pubs for lunches and dinners. Hawes-with dales Museum and Wensleydale Creamery-cheese factory and tasting- is not far away either.
A thoroughly enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: All the spacious rooms have lovely garden views
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review, and also your kind words about both myself and my home.

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Thornton lodge is a beautiful home situated between some of the most beautiful places to visit in the dales. The house it's self is kept very well, grand... yet clean and cosy. On arriving at the house, we were welcomed by Vanessa (the lady of the house, come cook, cleaner, tour guide and general fairy godmother)! A very warm welcoming, as if being invited into her home (which it is), we asked to book in early on our day of arrival as we were travelling straight from taking our daughter to school... just convenient to us. Vanessa kindly arranged for our room to be ready early, no corners cut! My partner and I have stayed in many places that have high ratings, but never have we experienced the attention to detail that we have found here, from lip balm and eye cream (the white company), on the dresser, to the welcoming and helpful conversation from Vanessa her self. I could not recommend anywhere better, in a more beautiful place, to stay! Amazing, beautiful and just gorgeous.... and that's just the hostess!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2017

Hi Polly.
What a lovely write up, thank you so much. It was great to meet you, I really do wish you all the best with the upcoming house move. I do think if people read this they might think I bribed you to be so nice (which of course I didn't)- although to be likened to a fairy godmother is probably worth it! I had a lovely weekend with my guests, which is a real blessing given the weather was a bit rotten so thank you for being such a pleasure to host for.
kind regards,
Vanessa x

Reviewed 5 June 2017

We stayed at Thornton Lodge for 2 nights - 1st & 2nd June. Our host, Vanessa, greeted us as soon as we parked up. She is warm and very welcoming and a mine of information for your visit. Nothing is too much trouble. The room was extremely spacious and very clean. We brought our own tea/coffee/milk, expecting the usual meagre supplies, but were pleasantly surprised to find that Vanessa supplied more than we needed, including biscuits, scones, sweets, small bottles of wine and all at no extra cost. Breakfast was excellent. Exceptional value for money. We can't thank Vanessa enough for making our stay at Thornton Lodge a very memorable experience. We will definitely be returning and catching up with Vanessa again.

Stayed: June 2017
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

thank you so much. it was a real treat to meet you. I'm so glad our paths crossed and that they hopefully will again from time to time. x

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days,beautifully decorated and very clean.Breakfast was lovely and Vanessa was always on hand to accommodate any specific requirements.Vanessa was very knowledgeable about where to go and places to eat, excellent service and a beautiful place to stay. Regards Shirley and Dave

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

thank you so much, it was lovely to meet you both and I hope i'll get to see you again some time. People stick in my mind for all sorts of nice reasons and yours will definitely be the story behind your adventure walking to Muker from Askrigg. x