US$111
US$170
US$165
Travelocity
Travelocity
The Blue Lion(East Witton)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$182
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbiscuitsyorkshire dalesfresh milkfour posterbaconattention to detailsecond to nonelovely rooma real treatlarge roomrural settingwensleydale heiferbeautiful placeplaces to visiteasy accesswedding anniversaryselection of cereals
Reviewed 1 October 2016

once in a while a special person or place comes into your life when you least expect it and this is true on both accounts. I arranged a last minute surprise getaway for my partners birthday and after reading excellent reviews for Thornton Lodge decided to stay there. What a beautiful experience from the moment the lovely Vanessa came down the steps of her magnificent home to greet us to our emotional goodbyes at the end of our stay. Nothing was ever too much trouble to our host and she certainly caters for your every need especially when she sets you up for the start of your day with a tasty hearty breakfast. With a wealth of information on where to visit and eat Vanessa will keep you well informed of places of interest. I just hope the fact that there are no pubs to walk to doesn't put you of this gem of a place because the nearest ones by car are about 2 1/2 to 3 miles which certainly never put us off and it does clearly tell you this in the reviews. The setting of this place is second to none and if you are thinking about or get the opportunity to go to this beautiful place owned by Vanessa and her family then I highly recommend it. Also can I just say Vanessa does everything herself with no help at all, the rooms are so comfortable and cosy and nipping clean. If what you are looking for is a relaxing break in a beautiful setting and a warm hearted welcome then this certainly is the place for you. Wishing Vanessa and her family (and Scout the dog who we had the pleasure of meeting) all the best for the future for welcoming us into their home and letting us share the experience

Stayed: September 2016
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2016

oh, thank you! It made my eyes dewy - it was so wonderful to meet you and felt like I'd known you ages, not just met you. To have you be so enthusiastic about everything and so protective is really lovely. I've finished for the summer now, on a high with another set of truly delightful guests that left this morning. The house isn't for everyone, I've done this too long to be precious about it - I've always done what I do the way I do it to fit around raising my boys and I've tried doing dinners for guests who don't want to drive to the pubs, but with online bookings it's become impossible for me to prep and serve dinner for what was often just 2 guests, whilst waiting for others to arrive, so now it is strictly b&b. It's a gorgeous windy lane we live along, but it is dark to drive down on a night in the winter and that did worry some guests who stayed this week, right at the end of my season - only 1 in the whole year, but it upset me that they were upset with their holiday choice. Your support when I was coping with discovering their issues was really helpful. Anyway, I'm closed until springtime, when the nights are getting longer and my lovely lane isn't scary for people. Spent the afternoon planting 250 bluebell bulbs and hoping the badgers don't dig them up over the winter! hugs to you both x

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

From the moment we parked the car Vanessa the owner was great.
Welcome tray of tea & biscuits, lovely room, really comfortable bed, full selection tea, mixed filter & instant coffe & biscuits In the room.
The breakfast was very well cooked, good choice on offer, nothing was too much bother for Vanessa.
Hotel very clean, and an amazing house.
Vanessa was always on hand with advice, very smiley happy lady, but never in the way or pushy.
Would highly recommend to stay here.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

thank you so much :) It was really lovely to meet you both, especially after having to change dates, etc. It's also such a relief to have a review again off people who are happy that staying with me gets them exactly what I offer on my website. This is not a boutique hotel - it's not an hotel of any sort, it's just me, on my own, welcoming people into my home for b&b and being nice to them and providing a pleasant and comfortable environment and being helpful with ideas for things to do/places to go/where to eat. All the online travel agents now mean some people arrive expecting a different set up and it's such a shame when they cant get their heads into the right place to enjoy what is actually on offer rather than what they'd imagined. Thank you for being so kind in your review - it really does mean an awful lot to me x

Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in this delightful house, owned by Vanessa and her family. The house is very large and our bedroom was enormous . Everything was of a high standard with antique furniture , comfortable bed, large TV and everywhere was spotless. The breakfasts were very generous and well cooked. Vanessa was very friendly and tried to suggest places to eat and places to visit. It was a pleasure staying in her lovely home.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2016

thank you so much for taking time to write about your stay with me - and for being so kind too! It was lovely to meet you both and I'm delighted you enjoyed staying at my house.

Reviewed 1 September 2016

Well located to visit the Dales of Yorkshire but just off the main route to Hawes in a quiet village. You need a car but there are plenty of pubs for meals and Vanessa the owner is very helpful. Our room was perfect and we had a delightful stay with all you could want for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

thank you so much for your kind words.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

My second attempt at a review on my stay. I requested my last review, and associated comments from Vanessa, be removed. Trip kindly agreed.

Very pleasant stay in Room 2. The Accessible, ground floor, room. I was attracted more by the size of this room than I was by the fact it was Accessible. Room 1 , a smaller ground floor room , would have sufficed. Whilst poor mobility , not a wheelchair user , I do not have a need for any of the en suite adaptations. At home I have a perching stool. Here there is a shower stool. The informed will be aware of the difference. Having said all that it was refreshing to see a service provider cater for the frail amongst us. Vanessa pointed out the room is designed for the frail , and not those with more specialised care needs. The Access Statement offers guidance in that regard.

Room 2 is huge. A variety of seating arrangements are available. Including table/chairs in the bay window. Ideal for watching the world go by. Or the robotic lawn mower strutting its stuff. Extremely comfortable bed. All that one expects to see in ones room.

The location of Thornton Lodge , of its outward and inward appearance , are excellent. A large car park. Furnished in line with the era.

An acceptable array of breakfast provision. Vanessa works alone at all times. Admirable time management skills, and preparatory work. The lady kindly rummaged up an appetising baguette on two separate occasions during my stay. I did not enquire of the possibility of an evening meal detailed on the website. Packed lunches are not normally offered , Vanessa opined , when I enquired.

Certainly a BnB one may wish to consider if in the area.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo