All reviews yorkshire dales biscuits toast attention to detail fresh milk old house four poster an evening meal second to none lovely room a real treat large room rural setting wensleydale heifer beautiful place places to visit great breakfast
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Well located to visit the Dales of Yorkshire but just off the main route to Hawes in a quiet village. You need a car but there are plenty of pubs for meals and Vanessa the owner is very helpful. Our room was perfect and we had a delightful stay with all you could want for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

thank you so much for your kind words.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

My second attempt at a review on my stay. I requested my last review, and associated comments from Vanessa, be removed. Trip kindly agreed.

Very pleasant stay in Room 2. The Accessible, ground floor, room. I was attracted more by the size of this room than I was by the fact it was Accessible. Room 1 , a smaller ground floor room , would have sufficed. Whilst poor mobility , not a wheelchair user , I do not have a need for any of the en suite adaptations. At home I have a perching stool. Here there is a shower stool. The informed will be aware of the difference. Having said all that it was refreshing to see a service provider cater for the frail amongst us. Vanessa pointed out the room is designed for the frail , and not those with more specialised care needs. The Access Statement offers guidance in that regard.

Room 2 is huge. A variety of seating arrangements are available. Including table/chairs in the bay window. Ideal for watching the world go by. Or the robotic lawn mower strutting its stuff. Extremely comfortable bed. All that one expects to see in ones room.

The location of Thornton Lodge , of its outward and inward appearance , are excellent. A large car park. Furnished in line with the era.

An acceptable array of breakfast provision. Vanessa works alone at all times. Admirable time management skills, and preparatory work. The lady kindly rummaged up an appetising baguette on two separate occasions during my stay. I did not enquire of the possibility of an evening meal detailed on the website. Packed lunches are not normally offered , Vanessa opined , when I enquired.

Certainly a BnB one may wish to consider if in the area.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank Ros1ep
Reviewed 18 August 2016

Its some time since we booked this property but I feel I must add a review. I booked the whole place for my wife's 60th birthday. It was quite simply the best weekend party we have ever had. The place is amazing and Vanessa is quite simply the best hostess you could ever wish to find.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2016

Hello Bruce,
what a wonderful surprise to see your review! I remember your wife's birthday celebration with such fondness. I did you those cupcakes and tea loaf for arrival and you had champagne and canapés before dinner. It must be some time ago because I think it was my eldest boy who helped me serve you all. It's lovely that I'm still in your thoughts for you to be so kind now. I try so hard to deliver a party that would make me happy if it were my own, so it means a lot that your weekend rates so highly in your memories. Thank you so much and best wishes to everyone who was part of the fun x

Reviewed 25 July 2016

I could not have found a better place to celebrate my 70th birthday together with a group of friends. Vanessa gave us all a warm welcome and coped admirably with the pressure of taking care of a full house over the three days we stayed. Thornton Lodge is a fabulous building with large superbly furnished rooms with attention paid to detail in or to provide everything you could need, and the meals Vanessa prepared were a credit to her. I cannot praise her highly enough. As for the location- set in Wensleydale one of the most scenic parts of the country, with Hawes and Aysgarth on the doorstep one could not ask for more.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and am so very pleased everything was to your liking. Sometimes I think I must be mad to do these group gatherings, but it makes me so happy when they go well, and the house was actually built for entertaining so it's wonderful when it gets used as originally intended. best wishes to all. Vanessa x

Reviewed 18 July 2016

We arrived to a very warm welcome from the owner who checked us in to room number 5 which was really lovely. A very large room with a four poster bed and views of the gardens around the stately home. There was everything you could need in the room and it even had an iron and ironing board under the bed should you need it.
There is a fridge in the room and win glasses and corkscrew available should you want to take your own alcohol with you.
Downstairs in the lounge there is a pool table which is gree to play which was a great bonus.
Location wise you would have to drive to the nearest pub/place to eat however a taxi wouldn't cost too much.
The only reason to not award a 5 star rating was not able to ask for breakfast to my liking - I prefer really well done bacon and sausage and this wasn't available with the hosts response as everything was pre-cooked and ready to serve. It does say in the room brochure that "special requests" for breakfast needed to be pre-ordered however I didn't veiw this as a special request as I just wanted it to be cooked for longer than normal for my personal taste.
The hotel is spotless and the bed really comfy with seating areas to enjoy a good read looking out over the garden. I would definitely return but would ensure I could get the breakfast of my own personal choice beforehand.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel S
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Hi Rachel,
thank you so much for your kind words, especially as I made an exception to my 2 night stay rule and welcomed you into my home for a one night Saturday night stay.
I'm sorry you were unhappy about breakfast - as you know, I do everything on my own and there were an awful lot of guests arrived down to breakfast at the same time. Had you been staying another night I'd have made sure I cooked your sausage and bacon longer, and had you been staying when I was quieter and not trying to cook you a hard boiled egg as well as scrambled and fried eggs for other guests, I'd have put them in another pan and cooked them to your liking. If you're ever able to manage 2 nights away and would like to come back I'll make sure your breakfast is to your liking. It literally came down to hob space and the hard boiled egg you wanted took up the space I could have used for the bacon - sorry.