Thornton Lodge
Stone House Hotel(Hawes)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Blue Lion(East Witton)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bbiscuitssecond to nonefour posterattention to detaila real treatlarge roombeautiful placeplaces to visitlovely furnitureselection of cerealsfull englishmarmaladeegyptian cotton towelsnothing is too much troublethoroughly enjoyed our stayenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2016

Its some time since we booked this property but I feel I must add a review. I booked the whole place for my wife's 60th birthday. It was quite simply the best weekend party we have ever had. The place is amazing and Vanessa is quite simply the best hostess you could ever wish to find.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2016

Hello Bruce,
what a wonderful surprise to see your review! I remember your wife's birthday celebration with such fondness. I did you those cupcakes and tea loaf for arrival and you had champagne and canapés before dinner. It must be some time ago because I think it was my eldest boy who helped me serve you all. It's lovely that I'm still in your thoughts for you to be so kind now. I try so hard to deliver a party that would make me happy if it were my own, so it means a lot that your weekend rates so highly in your memories. Thank you so much and best wishes to everyone who was part of the fun x

Reviewed 25 July 2016

I could not have found a better place to celebrate my 70th birthday together with a group of friends. Vanessa gave us all a warm welcome and coped admirably with the pressure of taking care of a full house over the three days we stayed. Thornton Lodge is a fabulous building with large superbly furnished rooms with attention paid to detail in or to provide everything you could need, and the meals Vanessa prepared were a credit to her. I cannot praise her highly enough. As for the location- set in Wensleydale one of the most scenic parts of the country, with Hawes and Aysgarth on the doorstep one could not ask for more.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and am so very pleased everything was to your liking. Sometimes I think I must be mad to do these group gatherings, but it makes me so happy when they go well, and the house was actually built for entertaining so it's wonderful when it gets used as originally intended. best wishes to all. Vanessa x

Reviewed 18 July 2016

We arrived to a very warm welcome from the owner who checked us in to room number 5 which was really lovely. A very large room with a four poster bed and views of the gardens around the stately home. There was everything you could need in the room and it even had an iron and ironing board under the bed should you need it.
There is a fridge in the room and win glasses and corkscrew available should you want to take your own alcohol with you.
Downstairs in the lounge there is a pool table which is gree to play which was a great bonus.
Location wise you would have to drive to the nearest pub/place to eat however a taxi wouldn't cost too much.
The only reason to not award a 5 star rating was not able to ask for breakfast to my liking - I prefer really well done bacon and sausage and this wasn't available with the hosts response as everything was pre-cooked and ready to serve. It does say in the room brochure that "special requests" for breakfast needed to be pre-ordered however I didn't veiw this as a special request as I just wanted it to be cooked for longer than normal for my personal taste.
The hotel is spotless and the bed really comfy with seating areas to enjoy a good read looking out over the garden. I would definitely return but would ensure I could get the breakfast of my own personal choice beforehand.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel S
vanessa k, Owner at Thornton Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Hi Rachel,
thank you so much for your kind words, especially as I made an exception to my 2 night stay rule and welcomed you into my home for a one night Saturday night stay.
I'm sorry you were unhappy about breakfast - as you know, I do everything on my own and there were an awful lot of guests arrived down to breakfast at the same time. Had you been staying another night I'd have made sure I cooked your sausage and bacon longer, and had you been staying when I was quieter and not trying to cook you a hard boiled egg as well as scrambled and fried eggs for other guests, I'd have put them in another pan and cooked them to your liking. If you're ever able to manage 2 nights away and would like to come back I'll make sure your breakfast is to your liking. It literally came down to hob space and the hard boiled egg you wanted took up the space I could have used for the bacon - sorry.

Reviewed 18 June 2016

We arrived at Thornton Lodge a little later than we had been expected and Vanessa took the trouble to contact us by text to say that she would be away for a short time but back soon. She was back before we arrived and by the front door waiting to welcome us. She gave us a free upgrade to another room which was very kind of her. The room was large and airy and nicely decorated. The en-suite bathroom was also a good size and had a heated towel rail for us to dry off the towels. There was a small fridge in the room containing fresh milk for our tea/coffee and water and lemonade. There were also some biscuits and sweets as well as the usual drinks tray. We found that Vanessa was a wealth of information and she planned a route for us that took in the sights we wanted to see. All in all a wonderful relaxing and quiet place to stay. We were only there for two nights but should we be back in that area we would probably stay for a few more days.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

thank you so much for your lovely review. I enjoyed meeting you both and hope you get to visit the Dales again sometime. kind regards, Vanessa

Reviewed 7 June 2016

Stayed 3 nights with my wife. Large, elegant country house in a very quiet hamlet off the main road. Huge bedroom very tastefully decorated and excellent modern bathroom with bath and shower. Fridge in the room with fresh milk (not UHT) much appreciated. Endlessly quiet only disturbed by the occasional birdsong and distant bleating of sheep.
Big choice for breakfast so we were off each day thoroughly satisfied and barely needing anything for lunch. Excellent meals and craft beers are available in a big selection of local Inns all within a short drive.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple