All reviews no elevator shower head swimming pool few blocks tajin cathedral mexico amenities furnishings cable
Reviewed 19 March 2018

20°26'45.66"N 97°19'15.80"W

To start with, you have to go up a flight of stairs to enter the hotel. With a heavy suitcase, this is not
the best of situation.

However, once inside, you are greeted by a nice receptionist.

Normal time to get a room is 15:00. I got there at 13:30 and got my room immediately.

The room does not have carpet which makes for a cleaner room. 2 queen size beds (I was supposed to travel with my wife
but she had some business to attend to so did not come with me.
Furniture was totally adequate for my needs (4 TO 5 DAYS). The room has air conditioning which is a must (normally) for Papantla.
The beds are comfortable although a little soft (for me).
The TVs are old sets but perfectly adequate. There is cable.

The Internet works perfectly in the room. Probably in all rooms since there are multiple routers on every floor. This is a big plus for me.
View from the room is the pool. Also you can see the Voladore statue on top of the mountain just out of your window.

The shower head needs to be replaced but the pressure is very good so showers are fine. Plenty of hot water. Amenities are perfect, there is even a movable round mirror with 2 different mirror magnification. Shampoo, body cream and soap are supplied. There is a hair dryer.
There should be a better attention to details. For example, there is paint missing on the wall under the window. Minor but should be corrected.

The situation of this hotel is perfect. It is one corner from the Zocalo or historical center where everything happens. I usually get a hotel near the historical center because this is where you will find restaurants, boutiques and much activity. Also, depending on the purpose of my visit, I like to be there during the weekends since this is when you will encounter a lot of Mexicans.

There are 2 restaurants in this hotel. Neither is wow. The restaurant La Parroquia is a no go. I ordered shrimps in a butter sauce. There was no sauce. I told this to the waiter. He left and never came back to me. There were no excuses, nothing. Also, service was slow. There was only 1 waiter and he was swamped.
I will obviously never return to this restaurant.

Service at the other restaurant (Totonaca) was much better. I only had breakfast there which was ok.

This was room 40 on the second floor. I then switched to room 52 on the 3rd floor. The room itself was perfect, basically a little smaller but just as comfortable as room 40.
However, it is situated under the washing machines so naps in the afternoon are impossible. Also, people walk with their heels and that makes noise as well.
There are nets to prevent pigeons from sitting on window ledge but they need to be repaired so, in the morning, you will be woken up by the pigeons.
The view is, well, keep the drapes drawn.

I definitely will return to that hotel but not in room 52.

Room Tip: Room 40 was great.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Reading other reviews it sounds like the hotel has had some needed upgrades. Our bed was excellent and huge (we requested a King). The room was #63 and called a Junior Suite, but was just a room, possibly larger than a standard. The room looks out over the street and main plaza. There was always music playing outside during the day, but it quieted down completely at night.
Someone wrote that Hotel Tajin is a few blocks from the central plaza; it is actually a half a block away.
Driving into Papantla? I wish you luck! Lots of one-way streets and screwy intersections! Map your approach carefully beforehand.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2017

This hotel is in a great location - just a few blocks from the central square and cathedral - and an excellent view of Papantla. The room was clean and comfortable. The food in the hotel's restaurant was the best I had in Mexico.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

A quaint hotel located in the heart of the central district! Would definitely stay again.
The only reason I didn't rate it 5 is because the towels were really hard and scratchy
Need to use suavatel
Breakfast was included... huevos rancheros
Were excellent as well as the coffee!
2 really nice restaurants to choose from to eat.
We did have a slight problem locating the hotel as it is on a hill and the parking was at the bottom of it. Loved the town especially
On Sunday!!!!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2017

An old hotel in the center of the city. Pleasant place, with a nice swimming pool and a restaurant. The reception is warm and the rooms were nice. Good ratio price/quality for a hotel that I recommend.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple