“Oasis of English speaking friendship”
Review of Koegele Hotel

Koegele Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Axams
Reviewed 5 August 2016

Everyone worked tirelessly to help me despite missteps on my part. I had arrived from Portland, OR to Innsbruck exhausted and disappointed to realize I had forgotten to put a travel notice on my credit card. I had no means by which to withdraw cash at the airport ATM. The shuttle arranged by the hotel was a taxi and when we arrived I explained I had nothing but American currency and a credit card. The desk clerk calmly paid for my taxi and shrugged off my concerns as something we could settle later.
I checked into the very quiet, clean, simply decorated room and used the wifi to log in and update my credit card. With another assist from the clerk I took map in hand and strolled the few blocks to the bank. The village itself was so utterly charming I immediately decided to extend my visit.
Returning to the hotel I repaid my benefactor and realized I had neglected to bring my electronic plug adapter. Too tired to deal with it that night I went to the attached restaurant where I had a meal of weinerschnitzel that almost made me cry in it's resemblance to my grandmother's cooking.
The firm bed was exactly what I needed after my 14+ hour flight. Despite my room being located directly above the main street it was quiet and the open windows tucked neatly under the eves was just cool enough to allow a long restful night.
The next morning I stashed my luggage in the front office and spent hours strolling the streets and paths of the village delighted by the friendly smiles, welcoming nods and stunning mountain views of this idyllic Tyrolean farm village.
Returning to the hotel for lunch I explained that I needed to travel to Innsbruck for an adapter before the next leg of my journey. The morning clerk then sifted through a collection of electronic parts behind the counter and provided me an adapter. He refused to take any money and waved me off as though it was nothing.
English is not commonly spoken and is heavily accented when it is but the hotel and restaurant were very helpful and our communication was filled with smiles and I wanted for nothing.
The hotel itself is quite interesting in that the rooms are modern and quiet while the restaurant and exterior are a slice of Tyrolean history in appearance.The restaurant bathrooms are in the basement level of the hotel area and are not always obvious when the hotel area doors are closed. They too are very modern and clean.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Trippymarge

Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

We stayed for a week skiing in March 2016 and found a welcoming & friendly smile from the moment we arrived at reception. The staff could not have been more helpful.

Our room was clean, had excellent facilities, great views of the mountains and there was maid service every day.

We had booked half board and found the choice at dinner (starter, soup, a choice of 2 or 3 mains and dessert) to be excellent and the quality exceptional. Breakfast was the usual continental buffet style, with a good choice for all tastes and great fresh coffee. The beautiful restaurant with its ancient wooden beams had a really authentic Austrian feel and was popular with the local town folk most evening. There is a small bar area also.

There is a heated ski room for storing your boots & skis overnight and the free ski bus stops just across the road (approx ever 20mins). Axamer Lizum ski area is a short but pleasant (free) bus ride that takes about 15mins. There are ski hire shops in Axams but also at the actual ski resort (with overnight storage). Skiing is great here, with quiet slopes and it only gets a little busier at weekends. Nice big blue run from the top, but be aware that it does feel a little more like a red in places. You can also hire a toboggan for just €5 (2016) and enjoy the 3900 metre 'Rodelbahn' natural toboggan run back down to Axams. This was super fun, but make sure you wear some good boots with good grip for breaking and slowing down!! The run starts at in the bottom car park at Axamer Lizum.

Axams is a quiet farming town, but has some beautiful old buildings, a small & large supermarket, a few cafés, restaurants & a couple of bars, but don't expect super lively aprés ski in town.

Overall we had a wonderful stay at Hotel Kögele and would like to thank the manager and his staff for their lovely welcome.

We will return!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheBrenchley
Reviewed 22 February 2016

We were two families skiing for half term with nine people total including five children. While we did not choose Koegele Hotel as it came included in our package, we still loved it. It has a traditional ski chalet exterior with a charming, wood-beamed restaurant/bar inside yet with modern, renovated rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They were also very accommodating from meal selection, to drink orders (they learned quickly how we liked our cocktails and had them ready to go for us) to watching football matches. The hotel is located literally at the bottom of the access road to the Axamer Lizum Ski mountain. A shuttle bus picks up every half hour from just outside the hotel and takes you straight to the lifts. It couldn't have been easier or more convenient. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2016

The location was nice, the room was comfy and clean. It had a huge terrace overlooking the mountains. The restaurant was really cosy with a great fireplace and Tyrol atmosphere. The breakfast was too basic.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2015

We stayed at this hotel from 13 to 20 December 2015, and despite the limited skiing we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had a junior suite, which was extremely spacious, warm, comfortable and had everything we needed to relax in. It was spotlessly clean, with comfortable beds and pillows, There was always plenty of hot water in the bathroom, and the very powerful dual purpose shower was a bonus after skiing, a bit like a hot water treatment for aching muscles. The food was excellent and plentiful, and we had fun trying to decipher the menus, as we don't speak any german. Fortunately we managed to translate them between german/italian/english with the waiter Adriano's help. Without him we wouldn't have known what we were eating - so thank you Adriano. All the staff were very polite and helpful. The hotel is in a most convenient place if you don't have a car, as the frequent ski bus stops just across the road. Highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Axams
2.9 km away
2.3 km away
Hotel Krone
Hotel Krone
#1 of 1 in Oberperfuss

Been to Koegele Hotel? Share your experiences!