In our cycling trip of the Douro River Valley one of my dreams and goals was to stay in a Portuguese Pousada. I must admit that I was slightly disappointed with the Pousada do Barao de Forrester...our room was small, overlooked the parking lot, our bathroom was difficult to manage (you had to move the mirror to look out the window, the doorstop in front of the toilet resulted in several stubbed toes and the tub was difficult to step in and out of). The rooms were very clean, but sparse and lacked anything 'special.' I was also surprised not to be able to find any historical information in the room about the Pousada. However...in looking at the positives...
1. The bar service was a pure delight. The bartender recommended that we try the house special...a mix of muscatel, tonic and lime...this drink was so refreshing and fantastic that it prompted us to order another round (and then even a third round I recall!).
2. Lunch in the dining room...we had the pre-fixe menu...fantastic. I don't recall the names of the dishes, but the first dish with sausage, egg and spinach (one of the 7 gastronomic wonders of Portugal) was a delight to behold and delicious. Same with the second course of a wild boar stew. The service was fantastic.
3. We spent an evening sitting outside on the small veranda above the pool. The wait/bar staff were SO very accommodating and brought us appetizers, cheese, assortments of dried meats...and picked some great red wines for us to enjoy!
4. The pool was clean and it was very refreshing. Nice to be able to sit around it and catch some sun!
There is very little to see or do within the town....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alijo Pousada is in the heart of the Douro Wine Region, in the village of Alijo. Rooms have cable TV and are air conditioned. The Pousada has its own restaurant and bar for guests who choose to dine in. Guests can enjoy many activities while staying at Alijo Pousada, such as taking a cruise on the Douro River, canoeing, fishing, hiking or visiting the many local vineyards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pousada Barao de Forrester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.