“Great traditional food”
Review of Annita's Taverna

Annita's Taverna
Ranked #23 of 33 Restaurants in Hydra Town
Reviewed 5 November 2016

We had dinner here on this visit to Hydra. Tomato balls (yum!), moussaka, chicken in the oven and red house wine. The flavours in the moussaka and chicken were fantastic - courtesy of the slow cooking method that introduces so much flavour over time. Great service - quick, efficient and also taking time to talk to the customers.
Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Annita's Taverna

Reviewed 9 August 2016

Typically you are advised on an expensive choice, like red snapper, nothing special. Squid and shrimps fresh? If you are a tourist go somewhere else, where get a decent treatment. These guys know you will not come back to Hydra.

Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

We had order pasticcio, kritharaki, fish soup and fresh fish from the day. All food was excellent and service was very good. It's in a nice location near a plateia.

Reviewed 28 March 2016

We were looking for fish and the waiter promised (literally) that was fresh. The menu had a high price (20 euros for a salad, allegedly fresh grilled fish, ouzo and fruit) for the Athenian standards but we thought it would be worth.
To disguise the frozen, scarce fish, they over fried it. The white wine was coarse and not cold, the dessert was poor.
When the waiter brought the bill there were things we hadn´t order previously, we mentioned it, he was quite rude and didn´t bring us the change (we deserved the tip, not him).
Fortunately, the only bad experience in our week stay in Greece. A great place for holidays with a black spot in Hydra.

Reviewed 24 October 2015 via mobile

We stopped in here at the recommendation of our hotel concierge and were pleasantly surprised.

Couple points to make here:
-Prices were solid for just a bout all dishes
-Some dishes were not yet available, assuming because this woman knows how to cook and so slow oven cooking takes time to get the right flavor a and textures.
-We were the only people there other than the 3-4 people working, so for us we got all the attention we needed. I want to say that I see many lame complaints from people in general visiting Greece about the servers not checking in or not bringing you your bill... I would say learn the culture and adjust, they want to leave you alone to enjoy your time without feeling like you are being rushed. They are not in a hurry and so they assume you are the same until you share your expectation with them.
-I felt like the menu of items we ordered were in fact a fusion between Greek tradition and also my Italian favorite flavors. Perhaps they cook quite similarly? The dishes we had reminded me of my grandmothers cooking and she was quite the chef owning a fresh backed goods and grocery store and serving traditional Italian 'peasant' foods to the agricultural workers over lunch for over 30 years.
-one person complained previously about the food on display in the kitchen that they had encountered on the way to the bathroom, FYI- it is meant to be seen and of you had asked them about it they might have told you what each thing was, where it was from, and what is the best tasting or freshest option in their opinion.

Overall, I would return to this place for the dishes that I have not yet tasted but would be sad knowing that I would have to miss out on the wonderful ones I've enjoyed this far.