All reviews boutique hotel private jacuzzi split level beautiful hotel sour cherries modern amenities hot tub beautifully restored mansion the lower level dried fruit special thanks don t miss resident tortoise freshly baked pies original family bed was very comfortable junior suite
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

The hotel is a relatively short walk from the port (5-6 mins) and the entrance is a beautiful wooden door discreetly situated on a residential street—close enough to town, yet just the right distance away for it to feel completely serene and quiet. The rooms are spotlessly clean, tastefully and beautifully furnished. There are 3 separate outdoor areas that you can use if you just feeling like reading or relaxing before heading out. What really added to the experience is the excellent, professional, and friendly demeanor of the 2 young men who run the day to day operations of the hotel. My boyfriend and I both agreed that although young, they both clearly understand the hospitality industry and really contributed to our experience at the hotel. Yannis gave us excellent restaurant/beach recommendations which were perfect for us (late 40’s). Cotommatae hotel was definitely a 5 star experience and we would definitely return if ever in Hydra again.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Cotommate was about 10 minutes walk from Hydra Port. The hotel building was a beautiful ancient manor. My room on the ground floor was beautiful and spacious with high ceilings. Breakfast served in a small garden was pleasant.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2018

The sizeable property boasts of seven rooms/suites, with 4 split-level suites on the lower level with a sleeping loft (a most unusual experience). A spatially very complex and dynamic composition (I am an architect and it took me a while to be able to comprehend and visualise how the little cosmos is assembled, after examining the floor plans). The owners who inherited the 19th century wall-enclosed courtyard mansion, but it's not at all ostentatious the way we typically think of "mansions", from their forefathers have moved to Athens, then transformed it into a most delightful place of refugee with quiet elegance with ALL the modern amenities you are used to and more (110 volt outlet), yet delivered and disguised such that you truly feel that you are the honoured guests of a ship captain in the glorious days when Hydra boasted 150 ships and 100k population.

I don't quite know how to describe the experience but suffice to say, before leaving I already long for a return in the future, eager to share it with my loved ones back at home, and wishing all my travel accommodations could measure up to this level of vernacular authenticity, architectural profundity, comfortable interior elegance (you don't ever think, wow, bold colours, cool design, fancy features, high style, just genuine comfort in every way) humble hospitality, pleasure of dwelling in a place, a house filled with memories and joy. What genius loci inhabits this dwelling place!

And they make you feel truly welcomed, and its not the words they say, but the spirit of hospitality they extrude. And this mostly by two young men, Jordan and Joanis. I encountered the lady who service the rooms several times, just few seconds in the hallway or the stairway, we never talked, she probably doesn't speak English and my forgotten textbook Koine Greek is worthless. But I think I can tell, she loves this place and what she does. She's probably been working here all of her life!? You can sense it when the people who serve you enjoy their work and don't mind the trouble you are to them. It's the difference between a labor of love and working for pay or career or whatever. And to think I came here to close out a chapter of family tragedy, not for a vacation, this is truly an amazing feat.

I don't know how they do what they do, or how the owners managed to pull this off living off the island in Athens. One of them showed up at Cotommatae with 3 generations of the family for the Greek Orthodox celebration of Easter's Big Saturday midnight mass, which we also attended. Initially, I wasn't sure who he was and the story behind a child and a pair of elderly who seem perfectly at home, he certainly didn't make me feel any different than how I felt about the residence earlier in the week. I wish I had a chance to chat with him and learn how they did this. Every B&B, specialty non-hotel or non-resort lodging should be like this.

I guess it is really true that people make the difference. I mean, the 5-Star Sofitel at Athens Airport (see my review and the stark contrast noted therein) can never hope to come close to Cotommatae, in part because they are different animals. One is a residence, the other an institution, a business. Yet the staff at Kindness Hotel in Kaohsiung (see my several reviews) probably are in touch with this spirit of hospitality. Yes, that's the essence that most for-profit establishments don't understand. The Spirit of Hospitality.

Room tip: Any will do but I recommend the 2-level suites on the ground floor. Quite an architectural, spatial experience.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Keydawn
Reviewed 9 April 2018

This is close to the port, and it's mainly a cobblestone incline, not steps.

The hotel is very clean. It's a renovated, old building, so the walls are stone. Despite the slight coolness that results from stone walls, the bathroom was clean, didn't smell like mildew, and had all the grouting was clean.

We have a lovely room with a comfortable bed. There isn't a ton of room to spread out two suitcases, but that was fine for a two night stay. There was a deck for another room right outside all of our windows, including the bathroom, but fortunately they weren't sitting out there too late.

Breakfast was lovely, a really nice patio to sit out on.

The only thing I would suggest is that they don't turn the techno beat music on outside - they turn it off at night, but if you go back for a rest before dinner you will hear a thunk, thunk, thunk the whole time.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

I travel all over Europe mostly for work, but I really needed a break. A work trip to Athens prompted me to take a quick side trip to Hydra and I am so glad I did. The Cotommatae is beautiful. I was met at the harbor by a gentleman that helped me with my bag (which was nice as it is a bit of a walk uphill on stone streets). At the door of this beautifully restored mansion I was met by Jordan and John who are amazing hosts that look out for your every need. I left feeling relaxed and pampered. It was just what I was looking for!

Date of stay: March 2018