All reviews boutique hotel private jacuzzi split level beautiful hotel sour cherries modern amenities hot tub beautifully restored mansion the lower level dried fruit special thanks don t miss resident tortoise freshly baked pies original family bed was very comfortable junior suite
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Cotommate was about 10 minutes walk from Hydra Port. The hotel building was a beautiful ancient manor. My room on the ground floor was beautiful and spacious with high ceilings. Breakfast served in a small garden was pleasant.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2018

The sizeable property boasts of seven rooms/suites, with 4 split-level suites on the lower level with a sleeping loft (a most unusual experience). A spatially very complex and dynamic composition (I am an architect and it took me a while to be able to comprehend and visualise how the little cosmos is assembled, after examining the floor plans). The owners who inherited the 19th century wall-enclosed courtyard mansion, but it's not at all ostentatious the way we typically think of "mansions", from their forefathers have moved to Athens, then transformed it into a most delightful place of refugee with quiet elegance with ALL the modern amenities you are used to and more (110 volt outlet), yet delivered and disguised such that you truly feel that you are the honoured guests of a ship captain in the glorious days when Hydra boasted 150 ships and 100k population.

I don't quite know how to describe the experience but suffice to say, before leaving I already long for a return in the future, eager to share it with my loved ones back at home, and wishing all my travel accommodations could measure up to this level of vernacular authenticity, architectural profundity, comfortable interior elegance (you don't ever think, wow, bold colours, cool design, fancy features, high style, just genuine comfort in every way) humble hospitality, pleasure of dwelling in a place, a house filled with memories and joy. What genius loci inhabits this dwelling place!

And they make you feel truly welcomed, and its not the words they say, but the spirit of hospitality they extrude. And this mostly by two young men, Jordan and Joanis. I encountered the lady who service the rooms several times, just few seconds in the hallway or the stairway, we never talked, she probably doesn't speak English and my forgotten textbook Koine Greek is worthless. But I think I can tell, she loves this place and what she does. She's probably been working here all of her life!? You can sense it when the people who serve you enjoy their work and don't mind the trouble you are to them. It's the difference between a labor of love and working for pay or career or whatever. And to think I came here to close out a chapter of family tragedy, not for a vacation, this is truly an amazing feat.

I don't know how they do what they do, or how the owners managed to pull this off living off the island in Athens. One of them showed up at Cotommatae with 3 generations of the family for the Greek Orthodox celebration of Easter's Big Saturday midnight mass, which we also attended. Initially, I wasn't sure who he was and the story behind a child and a pair of elderly who seem perfectly at home, he certainly didn't make me feel any different than how I felt about the residence earlier in the week. I wish I had a chance to chat with him and learn how they did this. Every B&B, specialty non-hotel or non-resort lodging should be like this.

I guess it is really true that people make the difference. I mean, the 5-Star Sofitel at Athens Airport (see my review and the stark contrast noted therein) can never hope to come close to Cotommatae, in part because they are different animals. One is a residence, the other an institution, a business. Yet the staff at Kindness Hotel in Kaohsiung (see my several reviews) probably are in touch with this spirit of hospitality. Yes, that's the essence that most for-profit establishments don't understand. The Spirit of Hospitality.

Room Tip: Any will do but I recommend the 2-level suites on the ground floor. Quite an architectural, spatial experience.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Keydawn
Reviewed 9 April 2018

This is close to the port, and it's mainly a cobblestone incline, not steps.

The hotel is very clean. It's a renovated, old building, so the walls are stone. Despite the slight coolness that results from stone walls, the bathroom was clean, didn't smell like mildew, and had all the grouting was clean.

We have a lovely room with a comfortable bed. There isn't a ton of room to spread out two suitcases, but that was fine for a two night stay. There was a deck for another room right outside all of our windows, including the bathroom, but fortunately they weren't sitting out there too late.

Breakfast was lovely, a really nice patio to sit out on.

The only thing I would suggest is that they don't turn the techno beat music on outside - they turn it off at night, but if you go back for a rest before dinner you will hear a thunk, thunk, thunk the whole time.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

I travel all over Europe mostly for work, but I really needed a break. A work trip to Athens prompted me to take a quick side trip to Hydra and I am so glad I did. The Cotommatae is beautiful. I was met at the harbor by a gentleman that helped me with my bag (which was nice as it is a bit of a walk uphill on stone streets). At the door of this beautifully restored mansion I was met by Jordan and John who are amazing hosts that look out for your every need. I left feeling relaxed and pampered. It was just what I was looking for!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We were booked on the 1 pm ferry boat from Piraeus (Athen’s port) to Hydra today March 18, 2018. I received a text message at 11:45 that the boats will not be running for the next couple of days due to bad weather after arriving at the port. Our ferry tickets were refunded. I called the hotel to ask for a partial refund. I expected to forfeit one day but not the full amount as I called to explain that we could not get to the island as we had hoped.

The rather rude man I spoke to said “sorry” no refunds. He insisted that there was an earlier boat so I should have been on that. Considering check in at the Cotommatae Hydra 1810 is not until 2 pm why would I be on the early ferry that arrives at 11 am vs the 1 pm that arrives at 3 pm?

I will not be returning and advise others to ensure their plans are rock solid as the hotel does not allow for any changes. Very disappointing experience. We have had excellent friendly service in Athens so I like to think this is an exception.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magnetich
Frosso Z, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Cotommatae Hydra 1810, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry that you did not have the chance to experience our hospitality in Cotommatae 1810.
It is rather unpleasant to receive a negative comment when someone did not even had the chance to stay in your hotel.
Nevertheless, we have further explored your comment and your allegations concerning refunding.

Concerning weather and ferries, the company has informed us that there were 3 itineraries at that date. One ferry left normally in the morning, there was one at 1 o'clock that was canceled and another one at 5 that was properly executed. The Ferry company also said to us that there was not such a message saying that the next 2 days all itineraries would be canceled. We had also other guests that day coming from Piraeus or from Metochi. We would be more than happy to refund you if it was a proven Force Majeure or there was no boat all day long or no way to come in Hydra. Our Hotel Manager applied our policy concerning refunding which is clear and according to international standards. Additionally, you were duly informed and accepted the terms and conditions when you booked to our Hotel.

Hope we have the chance to welcoming you another time,

Thanking you,