Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
Travelocity
eDreams
All reviews sri lanka beautiful beach star hotel front office manager welcome drink ocean view sea galle mirrisa
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 March 2019

If you are on an extended holiday and are considering staying for more than one or two days, THINK AGAIN!
From the outside the hotel looks worth its 3 stars. The reception area continues to deceive and the staff are very pleasant. Booking in is easy an you are whisked off to your room.
My room 217, was when it dawned on me that I had 14 nights to put up with.
Everything looked tired and in need of a lick of paint and a good overhaul. The beds made alarming noise as you got on or off them, loose slats. If like me you like some weight to sleep under you will on request be given a blanket. The wretched dull pink thing I was given had probably seen more birthdays than me. I used the blanket supported by beach towels in the end.
The bathroom/toilet was a nightmare. There is no bidet but a hose with a shower head at the side of the toilet bowl. One look persuaded me never to touch it, uggggghhhhhhhh! Shower it was then! On the floor of the shower was a tiny round piece of silver foil, presumably from a tube of toothpaste. Dear reader it was moved everyday! Proving the cleaner had swilled and mopped inside the shower stall. I wonder if it is still there! The sink plug operated by a lever at the back of the spigot didn’t work. Once I pushed the plug down it stayed down! Quick trip to reception who arranged a caretaker to sort it out. The next visit to the bathroom, lo and behold the plug cylinder was beside the sink! Showere it was then! Back to reception, another visit by caretaker, plug cylinder slotted back in bowl, not fixed just left in state of original disrepair. So just used running water, what a waste.
Outside the hotel needs a lick of paint, one day two men did come round with whitewash and give a skim of whitewash to the balconies, the stains were still there once it dried.
The swimming pool was in fairness well looked after. The pool attendant and his junior are very efficient and I watched them do a thorough job of cleaning it and it’s surrounds every day.
Beware the sun loungers, many have missing slats and protruding nails. Health and safety doesn’t seem a huge priority! The bar staff can be hard to find! And if you are all inclusive the recording of what you drink is confusing! Who knows how the ever get the sums right, but as no one cared why should I, but it is strange.
The restaurant is not up to scratch. All the tables are sticky, yes I know the climate doesn’t help, table cloths would!
Every meal would see patrons searching for salt and pepper pots from other tables.
The IS edible, but I doubt anyone would choose to eat out there, although some local families did. I know it is in Sri Lanka, but the vast majority of guests are European, so there is a selection of European food. Stay away from poached eggs, scrambled egg and watch very carefully if you get the duty chef to fry an egg for you.
Chicken dishes need a Health and Safety warning. The chicken is chopped into portions, causing mouthfuls of bone splinters. You have been warned! The Sri Lankan food is tasty, beware any thing with chicken.
Imodium can be purchased at the Pharmacy up the road by the bus station, the hotel shop doesn’t stock it. It is cheaper than in the UK!
The beach is pleasant and affords a good long walk, although the India Ocean is fierce! Make sure you only swim in the designated stretches, I shudder to think how strong the waves and tide are outside them!
Short stay yes, and eat out! Long stay holiday No/maybe but B& B eat out only

Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed 25 February 2019

I stayed recently at the Koggala Beach Hotel! Beautiful hotel, with a nice pool! Room (with AC) is good, bathroom a bit old, bed was really comfy! Good buffet for breakfast and dinner.
The hotel is right by the beach. People from reception, restaurant and cleaning are really friendly! I will recommend this hotel for sure!

*Only 1,5 KM walk from hotel, in Habaraduwa the best Juice bar! Called; More Fresh Juice Bar! The best! For only 200 RS the best fresh juice.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank An1111111
Reviewed 19 February 2019

I am so happy we found this place!
I will start when we arrived to the hotel late in the afternoon, we got a warm welcome from the hotel reception staff, very nice, friendly and professional personal.
The room was clean and big and we had the most amazing view.
Food was delicious! For all kinds of tastes. We loved freshly prepared juices.
The hotel is right by the beach and the sea is absolutely anazing. Although we had some strong currents and big waves, but that didn't stop us.
We rented a scooter, one of the best decision we've made. If you are an explorer, you should rent it too.
We walked on the beach and we found some great restaurants, shops and bars not so far from hotel. If you would prefer to take a ride to any destination, there is always tuc-tuc in front of the hotel.
We enjoyed our stay in this hotel very much and will definitely come back.

Room tip: The one with the ocean view
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelgirlMR
Reviewed 13 February 2019

We had visited Koggala Beach hotel 2 years ago and had a fab time there. Our room 308 was in a great position to reach the beach through a little hedge. We emailed the hotel previous to our visit this time and asked if we could have the same room. It was no problem at all. We cannot praise all staff enough everybody from gardeners, security men, chefs, receptionists were always smiling and happy to give advice. We were lucky enough to be there for their Independent day. It was a great time.

Room tip: Ground level floors are great as you get your own sun loungers outside your room
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2019 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Koggala Beach Hotel, our first time in Sri Lanka. The hotel is right by the beach although swimming was not always possible due to strong currents. However the hotel pool was more than adequate.The guests were mainly Dutch and English and being a small hotel everyone soon got to know one another. The food was good, always a good varierty of chicken and fish dishes and traditional curries.It was fairly quiet during the day with no loud music blaring out by the pool.However this changed during our second week and we had to ask for the music to be turned down, especially in the evening when sitting in the bar area, we were having to shout to each other. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. A special mention must be made to the restaurant staff Nipun and Ravini who were always smiling and helpful. We would liked to have returned here next year but unfortunately the all inclusive package is no longer available through Mercury Direct so we will have to check other hotels and locations.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple