Ahoy There, fellow Travellers - this place really is the embodiment of all the wonderful cliches about tropical resort holidays, with few of the downsides.
I took my 7 year old daughter and my parents there, for a 5 days break from Hong Kong, over Easter 2012, and it was a fantastic experience. We all enjoyed it enormously.
The professionalism and training of the resort staff is unrivalled in my numerous experiences with Thai resorts both in Koh Samui and in Phuket and even Bangkok. As ever, my only suggestion would be that wait staff still need to have better English, but that is a universal nit.
The design and landscaping of the resort is extraordinarily beautiful, without being showy. A tribute to the skills of the owners, who did it themselves and now consult to others. There are two pools, two restaurants, numerous beachfront villas and pool-surround apartments to choose from. I took 2 adjoining beachfront villas and it was definitely worth the added investment, because at night you were away from the pool-side bar noise, very quiet, in effect with your own private beach.
The resort is truly relaxing, gorgeous and very quickly puts you in "chillax" mode (an awful word my 7 year old daughter seems to have picked up somewhere!)
There are expeditions you can do outside the resort, but as usual in Asia they are ever so slightly disappointing albeit with highlights. I have found over many years in Asia it is actually better to enjoy the resorts, and leave the local ambiance to the young folks who are backpacking and want that experience, if that doesn't sound too horribly stuffy.
The only areas where I would encourage Rocky's to improve are, firstly, the food. It is good but could be better and have more variety especially for the very many young kids. Secondly, I have to decry the extreme amplification of the variety show performers in the beachside restaurant one night: so loud that my daughter and I had to immediately hot-foot it back to our villa and order room service instead, followed closely by my parents who tried but could not bear it either.
Apart from those opportunities to get (even) better, Rocky's really is a fabulous place, wonderful staff, gorgeous surrounds, plenty of things to do, or nothing to do if that is your desire, lovely aspect over the bay, truly ideal especially for a short break.
I recommend it highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rocky's is a stunning boutique resort set in a secluded cove south of Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. With only 47 rooms and 3 pool villas, an award winning fine dining restaurant, a poolside bistro and two free-form swimming pools, Rocky's is the perfect place for a relaxing, romantic holiday. Rocky's emphasizes warm, personal service, attention to detail, and a relaxed family atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rocky's Boutique Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rocky`s Boutique Hotel Lamai Beach
- Rockys Boutique Hotel
- Rockys Boutique Koh Samui
- Rocky's Boutique Resort Ko Samui/Lamai Beach, Thailand