“An oasis of relaxed pleasure”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Ahoy There, fellow Travellers - this place really is the embodiment of all the wonderful cliches about tropical resort holidays, with few of the downsides.

I took my 7 year old daughter and my parents there, for a 5 days break from Hong Kong, over Easter 2012, and it was a fantastic experience. We all enjoyed it enormously.

The professionalism and training of the resort staff is unrivalled in my numerous experiences with Thai resorts both in Koh Samui and in Phuket and even Bangkok. As ever, my only suggestion would be that wait staff still need to have better English, but that is a universal nit.

The design and landscaping of the resort is extraordinarily beautiful, without being showy. A tribute to the skills of the owners, who did it themselves and now consult to others. There are two pools, two restaurants, numerous beachfront villas and pool-surround apartments to choose from. I took 2 adjoining beachfront villas and it was definitely worth the added investment, because at night you were away from the pool-side bar noise, very quiet, in effect with your own private beach.

The resort is truly relaxing, gorgeous and very quickly puts you in "chillax" mode (an awful word my 7 year old daughter seems to have picked up somewhere!)

There are expeditions you can do outside the resort, but as usual in Asia they are ever so slightly disappointing albeit with highlights. I have found over many years in Asia it is actually better to enjoy the resorts, and leave the local ambiance to the young folks who are backpacking and want that experience, if that doesn't sound too horribly stuffy.

The only areas where I would encourage Rocky's to improve are, firstly, the food. It is good but could be better and have more variety especially for the very many young kids. Secondly, I have to decry the extreme amplification of the variety show performers in the beachside restaurant one night: so loud that my daughter and I had to immediately hot-foot it back to our villa and order room service instead, followed closely by my parents who tried but could not bear it either.

Apart from those opportunities to get (even) better, Rocky's really is a fabulous place, wonderful staff, gorgeous surrounds, plenty of things to do, or nothing to do if that is your desire, lovely aspect over the bay, truly ideal especially for a short break.

I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Spend extra for the beachside villas, its worth it
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BigFellaNYC
Martin_Rockys, General Manager at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Thank you, I hope your trip to Hong Kong was uneventful.
Thank you for your comments, as you were we had already started English classes for our staff, improvements you can see already, also a new Bistro menu, more choice and variety. We alreday have a kis menu plus a delicious ice cream menu coming soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We have just returned home from our 4th visit to Koh Samui and Rocky's Boutique Resort.
You could not ask for a better Resort. What a place to relax and unwind.
It is truly home away from home.
All Staff and Managment were wonderful and made us feel extremly welcome,and a part of the Rocky Family.
The room that we were so kindly upgraded to was sensational, Very spacious and the shower was divine, and might I mention the most comfortable bed that we had slept in for the past 2 1/2 weeks.
The cooking class is a must, so much fun and the food was beautiful. Thankyou Khun Rit!!!
We made the mistake of only staying here for two nights.
On past visits to Rocky's we have stayed for at least a week as celebration of our Wedding Anniversary, but this time we stayed for the majority of our stay in Samui on the other side of the island, we missed Rocky's and we felt that our holidays was incomplete with only staying here 2 days.
I would highly recommend this resort to anyone, there are no faullts in Rocky's that we experienced, we had great service from first point of contact in 2008 (our first visit) till now.
It is a piece of pure indulgence.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peta J
Martin_Rockys, General Manager at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Thank you, it was great seeing you again. And yes sorry it was only 2 days, until next time of course.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed at Rocky's for a week in late april, early May and thoroughly enjoyed it. We booked a beachside villa which was beautifully decorated and had lovely view of the ocean. The bathroom was fabulous, very large, lit with natural light and full powered shower with lots of hot water. We took advantage of the book 7 nights, pay for 5 deal which I felt to be a relative bargain all things considered.

I found the reception staff to be very attentive and helpful on numerous occasions as were the other staff on the grounds. In short most of the staff were quite friendly, particularly with our son and we enjoyed their hospitality.

The resort itself is gorgeous, the landscaping is about as good as it gets. Martin told me that the resort has its own nursery which makes sense in light of how beautiful the landscaping is. It really makes an impact and added to overall enjoyment of the place.

The food is quite good. Breakfast is excellent as is lunch and dinner. We mostly ate in the Bistro, lots of excellent sandwiches and salads, the Tuna Burger was particularly good. Lunch often left us feeling pretty full so we sometimes skipped dinner. We did have a regular ala carte dinner once in the main dining which was quite good but not as good as I had hoped given the reputation of the chef. Rocky's has several theme nights for dining. We tried the lobster dinner at the Bistro the first night we were there. It was quite good but little pricey I felt. We also did Thai night in the main dining room which was quite good but again, a bit pricey I felt.

My wife and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary at Rocky's and booked the Sala on the beach with the 7 course meal. It was excellent! The wine was well chosen and the food was done superbly. Though it was a very expensive meal, it was very romantic and memorable, worth every baht! If you want to book the sala, reserve in advance as it is popular. The food and beverage manager, Julien stopped by personally to make sure that everything was to our satisfaction, which I appreciated. In fact, he asked me on several occasions when dining if everything was alright and to please seek him out if we had any issues, which was a very professional touch I thought.

We spent a lot of time at the beach pool, which was lovely, much more shaded than the main pool, so you can keep out of the sun. My 5 year old son, Tommy, particularly enjoyed the pool and we often spent several hours each day there, enjoying the fruit shakes and smoothies which I highly recommend.

I did a lot of research before booking at Rocky's and looked at other places like Poppies, W, The Four Seasons, but given the price and value of Rocky's, I thought it was the best choice and we were extremely satisfied with our choice.

If you are considering staying at high end luxury resort, Rocky's is definitely worth a visit, you will be quite happy with your stay there I'm sure.

Room Tip: The Jr. Beach villa is the way to go!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank GregBr
Martin_Rockys, General Manager at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

Thank you, We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, we are Rockys, this is what we do and all of our staff try so hard to keep it that way. I believe the reason for our success is the atmosphere here, 5 star service (we try) relaxed family atmosphere, we hope that you return some day. A few great improvments soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Our first trip to Koh Samui for a chance to unwind and Rockys provided the perfect venue. Beautiful surrounds and the most attentive staff and fantastic food. We particulaly enjoyed our cooking session. Would not hestiate in choosing to to stay at Rocky's if we go back to the island.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rolf K

Thank you, I hope not your last trip to Koh Samui, there is so much to see here. I agree the cooking class is so much fun, with your own Rocky chef's hat and apron and all the recipes of the food you prepared and cooked to take home so you can show off your Thai cooking skills to your friends. Thank you to Khun Rit, our instructor. Happy cooking

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We got married at Rockys in February which I booked through Kuoni. Ann the wedding coordinator was brilliant and made sure everything went perfectly on the day. The flowers and the attention to detail was absolutely stunning and the photographer captured some fantastic shots of the day, I can't stop looking at the photos! The food was wonderful and seemed to be everlasting! I would recommend the fire dancers and the fireworks as it made a brilliant end to the day. The little touches such as decorating our room made everything all the more special. I am so glad we chose Rockys for our wedding it really was everything we dreamed of and more.

The only reason I gave the hotel a rating of four and not a five was that sometimes the service during the rest of our stay in the hotel was a little too laid back. It was just really small things such as waiting around at breakfast or leaving a room service tray outside of our door for three days despite the room being cleaned every day. As I say really small things but for the amount of money you are paying to stay at Rockys I would expect the service to be a bit tighter. However all the staff were really pleasant and always smiling.

I would definitely love to go back to Rockys and if the general service could just match that of the wedding coordination it would be an absolutely flawless resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carolinemoon

Thank you for your kind words, es there are so many options for each wedding that you can truly tailor make you own unique experience, Ann, our wedding planner, is very experienced, she handles everything so you don't have to worry.
Sorry you feel our service was slow sometimes, we try to inprove this but the Thai culture is very laid back, hence excellent service but sometimes (not always) a little slow. If your comment was about slow food, the answer is simple, everything here is freshly cooked from the best fresh ingredients, great food takes time. Saying that, we continue to train and improve daily.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
10.4 km away
Amari Koh Samui
Amari Koh Samui
#10 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!