“Lovely restaurant, great service, delicious Thai food”

Kob Thai Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 194 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Price range: US$3 - US$18
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A very quiet setting , in the nature , 600 meters from the center of Lamai ( in the street of Coco Splash Water park), well isolated tables ( under wooden salas), and a small cute swimming pool. A very authentic thai food ( let's try our thai discovering menu , with 8 dishes to share for 2).Very romantic atmosphere at night.
Reviewed 20 April 2016

We found Kob Thai Restaurant thanks to Tripadvisor (thank you, fellows reviewers!!) and my mother and I liked this restaurant so much to come back for two evenings during our stay in Koh Samui.
The location is lovely, a cute garden with a nice swimming pool, and private tables under wooden gazebos. It is far away from the crowd of Samui, perfect for both families and couples.
The food was excellent: we particularly loved the Mixed Thai starters, the Massaman Chicken curry, the Pad Thai and the noodles with soy sauce and chicken. Big portions, tasty food, fresh ingredients, right spicy.
Plus the price is more than reasonable for the quality!
Great service, staff is friendly and helpful. Meals are prepared fresh on order so do require cooking time.
The owner, Stephane, is very friendly, kind and modest. He always checked with us to see if we were enjoying the food.
Definitely this is a great place to discover traditional Thai dishes! I would highly recommend this place!

Date of visit: April 2016
Write a ReviewReviews (1,220)

Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

I'm so happy we found this place! We arrived and were seated immediately in our own little hut. We ordered the chicken satay appetizer, Panang curry and pad Thai. The starter arrived soon after and I almost wish that I had ordered 3. The chicken was so tender and flavorful that it would have been perfect to eat on its own. But wait! There were sauces that made it even more delicious!

The Panang curry was incredible. Having never had it before I was in new flavor heaven. Yum! Pad Thai was proper but I wish I had been more adventurous or had a bigger stomach so I could have tried more.

I wholeheartedly encourage anyone in the area to stop by.

1  Thank Yeji P
Reviewed 4 April 2016 via mobile

I felt compelled to write the review even though our experience here went a little wrong - purely because of the way it was handled, they do deserve their no 1 spot.
The setting is beautiful, little Thai style huts next to the pool in the garden, small trays of mosquito repellents in each hut with carefully placed wall fans inside. The colour changing pool just added to the fun for the kids.
We had the mixed Thai appetiser to start which arrived fast and was really good.
Here's where it went wrong and we were partly to blame. We didn't order our main course at the time of our appetiser and waited until we finished the snacks. During that time many people arrived and snuck in their orders before ours. So eventually we waited an hour for our main course and a few of the kids had fallen asleep, we felt 1 hour from placing an order was way too long. We brought this to the attention of the manager and he apologised (the lady in charge told me very clearly it was our fault) and at that point we nearly paid and walked out. However, he asked me what we would like to do, giving me the option to cancel part of the order, all of it or he would go and find out what happened.
Only because of his courtesy we decided to wait and just reduce the order. He personally came over to apologise and explain they were a cook short and a waiter short, coupled with our late order, that's why there was such a delay.
The food arrived shortly after, 2 kids then woke-up and did eat a bit, it was past 10pm so much of our order was rather wasted. On seeing this, he didn't charge us for the kids meals even though they did eat some of it and gave us a discount on the overall bill.
The reason I'm writing this is because we left a great restaurant after some excellent food and felt fairly treated and I know many people would give this place a bad review which can hurt their reputation. We were treated well, the food really was very good and most of all the manager saved the day!
Credit where it's due.

1  Thank Roznat2013
stephane v, Propriétaire at Kob Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2016

Dear Roznat, Thank you for your detailed comment, very fair play, and very honest .The night when you came to KOB THAI was a bit hard for us, the restaurant was full in 1 hour (with groups) and 2 people in our team were missing. I apologize for the behaviour of my Thai manager who suggested that our delay in serving you was your fault, then it was all of ours. The Thai people are very very proud , they are mostly enable to publicky admit their mistakes. They can then lie to avoid losing face. I try constantly to explain to my team that the customers come before them, and That, if we mistake in any way, we have to apologize. Thank you again for your understanding. Enjoy your stay in Samui. Stéphane

Reviewed 4 April 2016

Look. This place is totally ok. Nothing wrong with it at all and I am sure that most of the people that go there are happy. It's just that we have just come from Koh Tao and the food there is so much better and cheaper.
The starters we had - prawn tempura and chicken satay were really nice. Mains of chicken massaman and sweet and sour pork were just ok. Massaman wasn't a patch on the three I tried in Koh Tao and the sweet and sour pork was uk takeaway standard at best.
Service was good and beer and wine not too much of a rip off.
Setting is also very nice. We had a private seating area with fans and stuff so they are trying really hard.

Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

I headed to Kob Thai with a group for dinner one night based on its consistently strong reviews and it lived up to my expectations. Our group all ordered red snappers done in a variety of ways and all our fish was flavoursome and cooked to perfection. I ordered the garlic and pepper deep fried red snapper and it was delicious! I washed it down with a coconut which was the perfect compliment to my meal.

The service was very slow as they were understaffed that night but the owner compensated us for this with his sincere apologies and by bringing a tray of starters free of charge. We were very impressed by this gesture and it added to our positive overall experience at this lovely restaurant.

Highly recommend and would most definitely return!