All reviews jungle bure manta ray fish beach bar meal plan meal package cold water lunch and dinner drop toilets dive staff long drop amazing diving per day bracelet making low tide double bed tree house
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

What a beautiful reef, great snorkeling, right off the resort. Just walk straight from the bar into a underwater wonderland. Generous buffet stile breakfast and dinner.

However,

When you stay somewhere I feel it’s important to feel taken care of. I certainly did not feel this way. The Staff were not friendly and unhelpful. In our particular case it was pretty important. We were here when a cyclones were coming in and we were worried about being stuck on the island. The staff avoided informing us of anything even though I regularly asked. We bought internet to check weather reports and decided to leave early, only after checking out did they finally admit to us, it was a good idea. No refunds btw. I felt this was hugely irresponsible and it seemed that they had been told not to encourage us to leave, regardless of dangerous conditions. I’m writing his now from the main island and as it turns out all the boats are canceled and all the people who decided to stay are now stuck there. Had we relied on their word, we would not have made our flight.

The rooms are damp, all my dry cloths were wet when I woke up in the morning.

Internet is $20 fijian, said to be fast, it is not.

Snorkel gear is $25 Fijian each, Even if you use it for 1 hour (like us).

Toilet facilities are long drops (not plumbed) not a big deal for me but some others might find it a problem.

Felt like every time I moved someone was demanding money from me.

I would not stay again. They get 2 stars instead of 1 due to the awesome reef.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fletcher W
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights and were pretty happy. The staff are very friendly and happy to help you out. The room was gorgeous and had an amazing location, we stayed in a jungle bure which was right on the beach. Having its own bathroom was a plus. The snorkelling was incredible even though we did worry about the lack of advice given for the protection of coral. The quality of the areas and fishes in the nearby snorkelling sites was great and we felt lucky to see what did.
The only negative in our views was the food - while ok it was nothing compared the amazing standards we had in other resorts in the Yasawas; it was a bit slow at breakfast and not hot at dinner time. Given the cost of the meal plan which is compulsory and what other resorts are capable of, this was a bit disappointing. On the whole, I would recommend it on balance.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We stayed at several resorts throughout our time in Fiji and visited several more including Wayalailai, Blue Lagoon, Octopus, and Paradise Cove; our favorite by far was Mantaray! The staff were all kind, genuine, engaging, and delivered exemplary service. They were really willing to talk about Fiji's history and contemporary situation which I was extremely eager to learn about. This contrasted drastically to other resorts where I felt an outsider and in the way.

The accommodations are clean and comfortable and I appreciate the environmental effort and steps the resort has taken to maintain the natural and delicate ecosystem of the island. Some people may not notice all the details or may critique the compost toilets used for the common toilet area but I assure you it is an incredible and ingenious method that is much less damaging and far more functional. The other resorts we stayed at all had classic plumbing and at each one there was a problem with draining and smell at some point, neither were ever an issue at Manta.

The levels of accommodation are all accurately described and fairly priced. I Really appreciated how it was a place for everyone with the exception of potentially playing pop music too loud too constantly at the beach bar. The private villas were very nice as were the dorms.

The food was delicious and never a buffet which means it was tasty and added to the full experience. The wait staff were especially great and took care to learn everyone's name and remember it each meal, super impressive and classy!

The activities offered were diverse, interesting, and fairly priced. Many were even offered free of charge. The snorkeling is world class right at the beach and the reef is well protected and vibrant; which is stark contrast to places like Blue Lagoon where the reef is dying with coats of sand, boats getting too close at low tide, and tourists walking all over. The beach at Manta is not incredibly long or wide but if you want to explore the island there are walks you can do to other beaches as well. There is still beach to lounge and enjoy and the lack of size is made up for with the impeccable snorkeling and particularly war water to lounge in on the sand.

The diving is excellent as well. Extremely reasonably priced, safe, and with great people /guides at the dive shop.

We highly recommend Mantaray resort!

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gabrielle P
Reviewed 3 March 2018

What a fantastic place Mantaray Resort is, from the moment I arrived to the moment I finally left!!
I originally planned to stay 5 nights but ended up staying a total of 30 nights. This is one of the best places I have experienced in my life. From the fantastic setting of the whole resort to the activities they put on, from fishing, village trips, some of the best snorkelling you will ever do and not to mention my new favourite..diving.

The accommodation was kept very clean and tidy. I stayed in the dorm which was very comfortable and had air con. I then tried out the treehouse bure which was equally as nice. The shared bathroom facilities are kept very clean and we're never busy. I was then lucky enough to upgraded to one of the family bure's for my final week. This was a real nice gesture from the resort and one I was most grateful for.

The best thing about the island though is the staff. They make you feel like part of the family on the island, something I have never experienced to such a high level before. From Willy and Mar keeping the bar open late for me, to Joe, Craig and Justin helping drink at the bar. Atu and Seta helping me learn how to dive, but also all the other staff that make this place something very, very special. I can't speak highly enough of Mantaray Island resort. If I could have stayed for ever I probably would have?

I would advise anyone to spend a few days here, because I bet a few days will turn into a few weeks.

I will forever remember my time on Mantaray and I'll be back

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank markpeters0912
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Mantaray resort for me as a solo backpacker was an amazing experience. Everybody of the staff remembers your name and tries to get to know you. It’s like being one big family. As I was travelling by myself, I’ve met some amazing people on the island. Not only the staff and the owner but also fellow travellers.
I also did my diving course which was an awesome experience thanks to Seta. It’s a three days course, you go diving in the morning and one afternoon with some theory. I will remember my stay forever. Loved it.

Date of stay: February 2018