All reviewsblue lagoonno hot waterwelcome songbed sheetsfresh fishmeal timesbeachfront burecavesbistripsyasawasmealsactivitiesaccommodationfijiresortisland
Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

Safe Island was our first stop on our coconut cruiser package through Awesome Adventures.

The staff were fantastic! They were always smiling & knew our names which was a nice touch.

We really enjoyed the food - curries were delicious!

We took part in some of the free activities they provided -

Bracelet Making
Fijian Cooking Lesson
Kava Tasting

The room was basic but fine! (Bure 4) The showers were cold but that didn't bother us after a day in the sun.

They had one of the best beaches out of all the islands we went to!

Make sure you pop down to the tea house for cake.

Stayed: August 2015
Reviewed 18 August 2015

I would just like to say a big thank you to the lovely people of Safe landing and for making my friends and myself feel so welcome. I felt like the range of activities and food was awesome. The secluded beach & most amazing sunset is worth every penny. I must say though that the people and getting a little glimpse of their lives was the highlight. The rooms were modest but the positives of the actual stay in this slice of paradise more than justifies any money you spend. If I had any advice for people that come to this beautiful Resort it would be to talk to the people and let go for a brief time of your normality and be immersed in this lovely place.

Room Tip: Views are amazing no matter what room you get
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2015 via mobile

On arrival at Safe Landing Resort our accommodation was extremely disappointed. Our room had a double bed placed to one side of the room and another single bed was squeezed in. Only sheets and pillows were provided. Only has cold running water (to shower in) which you can't drink and only a small amount of water came out of the shower head. On the last day the toilet wouldn't even work. Windows wouldn't close and some were broken. Meals provided work ok, breakfast was very basic.

Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on a full monty coconut cruiser package booked with Awesome Adventures Fiji. We had just come from the Korovou Eco resort which we absolutely loved so I was skeptical that any hotel could be as good as that. We were staying in one of the bures. Fair enough it wasn't as nice as the one in Korovou Hotel but it was perfectly fine all the same. It was clean but a little on the small side- we were only there for 2 nights so it was fine (what more do you need!). The room was badly arranged furniture wise which makes it feel smaller and the toilet had a bad design too but nothing major. The location of the bure is lovely overlooking the beach with a hammock in front. Water in the shower was warm. They had just installed solar panels 2 days before we arrived so have 24hour power. They used to have a generator and had to turn it off at certain times.

Food was suprisingly good. I had heard that it wasn't great so wasn't expecting much. There is no big list of options or anything but what do you expect in a fairly isolated Fijian island! It's not gourmet food or anything but it was fine. There were pancakes for breakfast, tea, coffee, bread, fruit, cereal. Lunch was spaghetti bolognese, vegetable stir fry and then vegetable fried rice. For dinner one day we had chicken, pork and potatoes cooked in a pit traditional Fijian style. It was cool to see- they brought us over to see them taking the food out of the pit. The pork was really delicious! There were vegetables too, fried rice and bread. It was a decent meal, I really liked it!

The staff were friendly especially the young guy (sorry don't know his name). He was great going around organising everything and always had a smile on his face. Some people I spoke to were annoyed at how laid back the staff were about organising activities! We had the full monty package so we had the Blue Lagoon snorkelling and the Cave visit included. I enjoyed both but they really could do with buying some new snorkel gear. The masks were fairly worn, mine filled with water constantly and the mouthpieces were mouldy and old. Other than these activities there was a whole big blackboard of other options for things to do but in reality they didn't bother to organize any of them. It was a real case of 'Fijian time'!! Someone asked about the basket weaving... "the guy that does it is not here"... Someone asked about a massage "the woman that does it isn't here"... Someone asked about the fishing trip "maybe tomorrow"! You get it! To be honest I didn't mind but this did bother some people so it might be handy to know.

I felt the staff made a fairly good effort to show us ways of Fijian life. They put on a brilliant dance show one night (a Friday). They were really good and had put a lot of effort into it. Then we saw the pit cooking which I mentioned above. They also organised a cava ceremony for us for $1 each. It was really interesting and great to see. It tasted like licking a tree! One of the guys also knocked some coconuts down for us and showed us how to open them etc.

There is also a little tea house just up the hill behind the dinner area. It was amazing!! Definitely go there. It's a woman from the village and she makes he most amazing cakes. I was surprised! We had chocolate cake, chocolate and orange, chocolate and mango and she had a pineapple cake one of the days too. You get a slice of cake and tea or coffee for $6. She opens every day from 3pm til 5pm and sells some necklaces and little souvenirs too. She was really friendly and opened earlier for us the day we were leaving (ask her in advance).

The location of the hotel is gorgeous. The beach is very nice and the water is so blue. We went for a few walks around the island but we didn't go that far. It's nice to have a wander around and gives you something to do if you're not doing an activity that day. The walk up the hill to the hut left of the beach is well worth doing. It's only a few minutes and you get amazing views of part of the island, the beach and the gorgeous blue and turquoise water. We could see a turtle in the water from up there too. The views are really nice.

Overall, I really liked this hotel and I would definitely recommend it. The island is beautiful, the food was grand, our room was clean the staff were friendly and made a decent effort. The hotel had a real Fijian feel to it and is Fijian owned which is great... Who wants to be in a standard, commercialized,  westernized resort (like the Manta Ray resort). I ended up really enjoying my 2 nights here!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank champkis
Reviewed 12 May 2015 via mobile

Pros-
-Nice beach and our villa room was nice enough for the two days
- the main guy who greeted us 'Sam' was nice and helpful. Just chatted to him whenever we needed help with something and he did his best to sort

Cons-
THE FOOD- portion sizes were tiny. No choice you just get what your given. Lunch was a small pile of flavoured rice with a few peas in. I didn't like it so was left hungry all day. They had no food to buy in their "shop" so went from 8am- 7pm with no food!
- staff and children playing on the hammocks outside our room- these should be for guests or they should use the empty ones where people aren't staying further down the beach. These staff or children then left empty soft drink cans and beer box on the grass!
- first day we got there they had no activities for us and said we needed to wait until after dinner to book. Should allow us a choice for activities when we got there instead of us all trying to book things in a limited time frame.
- felt like a burden to the staff whenever you asked them questions or for any activities. Felt like we were imposing on their home and had to really push for the free activities.
- when we were waiting for the boat to pick us up we saw the staff take our bed sheets out our room, air it on the line for a while before using it to remake the bed. No washing at all and considering the power is turned off at night there would be a lot of sweat on them!

This was the first island we visited in fiji so luckily all others were nicer. This place has the potential but staff need more drive and enthusiasm as well as better food options as we shouldn't have been left so hungry with such basic food options (or no option as the case was).

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple