New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Black Rock
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

We only stayed in this hotel for one night before we boarded our sailboat trip. The room was quite spacious and had a beautiful view of the beach from the balcony. We did not do the all-inclusive but you could pay for the breakfast. It was over $25 and the food was basic steam table eggs and bacon, sausage etc., not worth it. They have a great little bar restaurant that is open in the day down by the water. There is a beach road right in front of the beach bar and if you walk ten minutes in the direction away from Black Rock, there is a local bar and three restaurants and a store. We preferred eating there, though the fish restaurant run by a European couple is very pricy and the fish was not that good. There is a chain pizza restaurant and a local restaurant on the water. Overall the hotel is very nice and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rosieox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Apple Valley, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I was here with a group of friends recently while taking a vacation on the islands. The front desk staff is friendly and were willing to assist us with activities around the island. The food at the buffet was not the greatest, and the prices were very high. The beach bar was fun and the beach access was very easy to get to.
The bar staff are a lot of fun. Weigh out the all inclusive options. It might be in your best interest to pay as you go, that way you can explore other area restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Grafton for 2 long weeks and although we had a great sea view room and the hotel is very clean it is let down mainly by the catering and it's Manager. The rooms are a little dark although air condidtioned the tv is old and the channels basic but we didn't come to watch tv. Our room overlooked the sea and had spectacular view especially the sunsets. The bed was very large and on the whole the room was quite good but the water didn't run away in the bath and there was always a puddle. The house keeping of the hotel is very good it was always being kept clean. Our trip was all inclusive but in real terms it was full board - 3 meals a day and nothing else inbetween. Over 2 weeks the meals were a little repetative but a good selection of fish, steak, salad or pasta and the starter for the evening meals was always soup. The standard fo the food was good but the best food we had there was typical Caribbean - dumplings and crab etc when we had to share the food with a convention that was over running, we felt like we were gate crashing someones' wedding as they were all suited and booted and we were in our shorts and shirts etc. The catering 'manager' told us they had overrun their lunchtime and they had almost 30 covers missing and that's why we had to share - we felt uncomfortable about it. One night we were forced to eat at the sister hotel Le Grand as a functiion was being held at the hotel and we went down to find we were to be 'escorted' next door for our meal. I asked to see the duty manager who came with the catering and beverage manager Peter and explained that we should have got 'a note' through our room door explaing this. Well - if this function was planned for sometime then a note that afternoon to at most 10 people was leaving it a bit late I replied. The following night poor service for all in the restuarant and the next night it was an hour between courses. The staff were lovely about it as ti was the kitchen staff who were working for our restuarant and serving food next door too. We complained again and the catering manager just gave us a wide berth rather than come and face us. The duty manager listened to our complaint but never got back to us either.
The hotel is a little tired but with just 5 holiday guest and some casual 1 or 2 nighters it struggled on the catering front. All I heard while in Tobago is 'it's dead here' well hotels with service like the Grafton aint gonna help matters. Oh the Buccaneers restaurant on the beach is quite good (different food) but it was closed most days - and wasn't made clear when it was open (the only toilet on the beach) and not pushed by the catering manager.
Having had my whinge I must say my wife and I enjoyed our holiday and refused to let the short commings of the Peter and his unhlepfulness ruin our holiday - Tobago has more to offer than an excuse for a manager out of his depth. The restaurant staff were very nice very helpful and we would like to mention all the breakfast staff esp Beneita. The pool was very good and clean and we used it every day as we did the gym too (next door at Le Grand). The beach was very quiet and we enjoyed the sea and watching the fisherman pulling in the nets daily. There was only a small amount of entertainment which we enjoyed. The bar staff were very good but a little indifferent at time in the last few days. The people of Tobago were very friendly and helpful - it was non-Tobagians at the hotel that are letting it down.

The trips out to the rain forest, the island tour and Pigeon Point and the snorkelling from the glass bottom boat is what made our holiday not to mention Waggie the driver. We loved our holiday to Tobago.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the top floor (only 3 levels and 2 flights of short stairs) it's well wort...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ronnierfc1876
Port of Spain, Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

My first experience with Grafton beach resort was Via the telephone where I booked my stay with a very pleasant lady by the name of Zanne. I was given all the rate details and even got a 10% off the package for paying up front. This to me was an effective marketing tool to get your guest to pay up early and pass on a saving to them in return. I had no problems with that.

Upon arrival at Grafton, I experienced much to my dismay, a very long check in. For some unknown reason, the lady at the counter didn't know that I paid my bill upfront and Zanne was off for the day, so the check in lady took a long time to verify my payment. Thank god I kept my receipt!! Imagine if I didn't have it!!

At first glance the surroundings and overall hotel area was very clean and well kept. The view of the beach was spectacular. one of the best sunset scene in Tobago. The pool was very clean and well kept, however, they have a very strict timing for the usage of the pool. The pool opens around 10am and closes at 6:30pm. Good lord man!!! that meant we could not have enjoyed the sunset from the pool!! damn! not to mention how disappointed the kids were when one of the staff went over to my wife and told her that the pool closes at 6:30 and that the kids would have to get out. He seriously lacks training!!

Upon entering the hotel with my luggage, the front desk lady, maybe sensing my slight aggravation at the long check in, decided to be nice and put us in a room that was a mile away!! ok, not a mile but it sure felt like it, especially when you are carrying six pieces of luggage. The person who designed the entrance to the hotel and the rooms seemed to have been seriously lacking some intellect, as the decent to the rooms had a nice flat pathway and then all of a sudden.....STEPS GALORE!!. Jesus Christ man!! I had to carry down all the luggage down all these stairs. Once we were done with the steps issue, there was this house keeping trolly in the middle of the corridor which made it hard to pass without bouncing into it.

Upon entering the room, I was immediately calmed by the cleanliness of the room. Thank god the room was clean or else I would have been out of there. We paid for a room with a view of the sea. The "sea view" rooms are obscured by trees across the road and doesn't really offer a nice view at all. The room was very out dated with an old TV and obviously dated bathroom. There wasn't a skid mat in the tub and my son fell and hit himself really hard. Upon making my payment for the room I was told that the room would have had a queen size bed and a twin size for the kids. I agreed to this. To my surprise, there were two twin size beds. The kids slept well but my wife and I had it really hard as we were accustomed to a bigger bed and sleeping there for the next four nights was horrid to say the least. That little bed was soooo uncomfortable. Those mattresses are probably the very same since the inception of the hotel.

We decided to have dinner there the first night as we were told that the food was good there. Dinner was good however the selection of entrees was very limited. Upon completion of dinner I made arrangements for an early breakfast as I saw that breakfast time was between 7am and 10am or maybe 10:30am. However, I had an early dive the other morning so I informed the front desk person who in turn asked me to ask for Miss Job in the morning who will facilitate me. After a good night's sleep on that horrid little bed with the old mattress, I went to the dining room area at exactly 6:30am where I asked one of the staff for Miss Job. I was referred to Miss Rosie who told me that Miss Job was not in as yet. when i told Miss Rosie that I had an early breakfast arranged, she replied in the most distasteful manner that no one was here to help me with that and that breakfast is between 7am and 10.

With only coffee in my stomach, I ventured off to my Dive, which by the way was most relaxing and stress relieving.

Grafton beach Resort seriously needs an upgrade. The counter staff needs to be more professional in their approach. The waitresses were very nice but needs a bit more training as to what the kitchen has to offer on any given day and not be running to the kitchen to enquire about everything. I guess the rates are in sync with the mediocrity of the place.

Room Tip: The rooms just below the dining room area have a better view of the sea, however they do not have a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Mohammed_K_Rahman

Travellers are raving about these Black Rock hotels

Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

Despite reading the horrid reviews, we decided to give Grafton a chance. True to the reviews, it was a disappointment. The room was basic, but the views were great. Other than that, it was a white elephant. The Breakfast was basic, the dishes were not replenished once finished and guests( including All Inclusive patrons) were left to source a proper breakfast elsewhere. The menus for lunch and dinner were limited and overpriced. The restaurant staff were not friendly, the bartender was plain rude, and all drinks were priced unreasonably. The pool was clean, though small, and there was no bartender to their claimed 'swim up bar'. Definitely not worth the money.What saved this trip was the company kept.....ssb.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,413 reviews
1.6 km away
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Grafton Beach Resort? Share your experiences!